“Too bad. So sad.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Save Saved
You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $149
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Fajardo
texas
“Too bad. So sad.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This property has the potential to be so much more. Although there is no direct beach access it is a great view. Unfortunately, the property is run down with bad cosmetic updates. The addition of mostly poor service make for an undesirable experience.
We checked in very late due to a delayed flight. The desk staff was aloof, cold and seems to always be short staffed or on the phone.
Once we made it too our room we were overwhelmed with a horrible smell. We realized the shower curtain reeked of mold. We removed it and placed it outside in the hall and called the desk to advise them. Exhausted we were ready to fall into bed but found stained sheets. It was so late we decided to sleep on top of the sheets with the extra blanket from the closet. Disgustingly, the blanked also smelled of mildew. The lamp switch was broken, window curtains had holes in them and the sink stopper didn't work. Needless to say the first night was a bit restless as I was grossed out by the whole mildew experience. When I called to request a new blanket I was asked it I wanted my room to be deep cleaned tomorrow. I inquired as to what this involved because my husband had some sensitivity to cleaning product smells I was told "I don't know. You can call housekeeping in the morning." Wow, thanks for your help!
So the next morning we went to the surly front desk to make sure we were going to get a new shower curtain."Oh yes, they will go do it now." So while we ate lunch at the breakfast buffet that was swarming with kids and took 20 minutes to have an omlet we expected our room to be cleaned and get a shower curtain. Nope.
Called again, while we went to the gym. Hurray! came back from the gym and we had a shower curtain but, that smell was back! new shower curtain reeked as well. Took it down and walked it to the front desk. I had been very polite and nice and it wasn't getting us anywhere so I greeted the front desk with the smelly shower curtain and was asked if I wanted to speak to the housekeeping supervisor. "Well, I think I need to talk with him to get this fixed.". Surprsingly, the housekeeping supervisor was the first decent customer service we had encountered. He met me at the room with a new shower curtain. He adjusted the air and said he wanted to have the room re-cleaned because it felt musty.
The room was much better after that but there is nothing about these rooms that are luxurious. They have attempted a cosmetic update but the work is messy. New tile laid down on top of old tile with grout stains along the walls, crooked switch plates, old tubs and shower faucets with calcification build up, cottage cheese ceilings. I have been in much nicer Hampton Inn's.
The food here was mediocre at best and the pool bars are slow to service and over priced.
One of the service kickers was we got a call two days in a row to see if our floor lamp had been fixed, which it had not. After the second call I get a knock on the door. The gentleman standing there says nothing, doesn't introduce himself or ask if he can enter but just barges into my room. Thank goodness my husband was dressed. He then says "you got a broken lamp?". To which I say it functions but the switch is broken. He goes back out to the hall and brings in a new lamp, takes the old one and then leaves. I just don't understand how any hotel wouldn't train the staff to have better manners when interacting with customers.
This property is obviously trying to cater to families with a water park and changing the casino into a family fun zone. I could see coming here with kids as there is a lot to keep them entertained if you could deal with the poor service and rooms and it was better priced.
Warning if you are at all prone to motion sickness the ferry ride to the island can be very bumpy. It is also over 45 minutes (mostly decent roads) to get from the San Jaun airport to El Conquistador.
I hope Waldorf Asoria will consider putting some money into this resort and updating the rooms and training the staff. So sad, It has so much potential.

Room Tip: If your room is at the marina you will have to ride the funicular to get to the main restaurants, sh...

3,909 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Polish first
Boston, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

would not recommend this to people trying to get away with loved one. Location is so pretty but hotel is old and worn and service was poor. The people were good but seemed understaffed at front desk and bars.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed for two nights at the Marina facility at this massive property. The hotel grounds are beautiful and the scenery is stunning. The beach on their private island is also spectacular.

On the downside, the rooms were nothing special and need updating. Also, due to a hotel error, I was locked out of my room for a 1/2 hour on one evening, and the front desk responsiveness was disappointing.

Overall, a mixed experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The resport is really run down and the rooms are filthy. When we got to our room we were in shock to see the poor condition. So we went back to the check-in desk to see what could be done about the room. The solution was to offer us another room that was in worse condition than the first. We finally decided to stay in the third room they offered because we were just tired of running around the resort looking for a room. This room had four hairs in the tub, two were still there when we checked out five days later. My wife wanted to take advantage of the spa deal and was exactly one minute late and was told "so sorry" special ended at 3:00. Food is over priced and bland. It seemed everything was broken including movie kiosk and hot tub. We heard the people next door to us all day and all night. Finally shoved a towel under the door to attempt to muffle the sound of the coughing kid. The a/c never shut off but it never got cool in the room. Pillows and beds are not comfortable at all. We both were sick with allergies when we checked out...prob due to the mold in the bathroom. The only recommendation would be for families with young children...even that would be a far reach. Bring your own bleach wipes and pillows. Plus check your bill as they tried to add some extra charges to ours. Another quick note...don't let your electronic out of your site...a family had a bag swiped and they were told "so sorry". Waldorf Astoria needs to take their name off this resort!

• Stayed April 2013
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Views great if that is all you want. But the room was tired, shabby, and worn out.

Most of the bell staff and restaurant wait staff were friendly and helpful. But, in general, the desk and concierge were aloof.

Charges for most things, given the condition of the rooms and quality of the food were unreasonable. One example: A hotel van took us less than 2-miles to a local restaurant and charged $70.

Cocktails seemed weak and watered down for the premium being paid. When asked about it the bar attendant was defensive.

Fees to the 'water park' were unreasonably high…especially given we were already paying a 'resort fee' for so-called extras.

There was a wholesale lack of attention to detail: Bulbs out, escalator out with no attempt to repair for 3-days, ice machine barely functional, no stopper in sink, switch plates askew or broken,

This substandard quality and service rendered the high room rate wholly inappropriate. It is not unreasonable to expect more for the prices charged.

The website and claim of 4-Star service is misleading.

We'll never return to this facility and we will ensure all in our network use alternatives when in Puerto Rico.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Selden, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I read many reviews on this hotel and was nervous about the trip, let me say this....Go! No, it is not brand spanking new, but it is well kept. We stayed in the Marina, it was not loud, and the view (and ours was only a partial ocean view) was beautiful. Again the room was not brand new, but it was new enough, and well kept. Were there a few places that could have used some touch up paint, yes, but nothing to be upset about. And, as a few other posts have mentioned, don't expect a New York City $550/night experience for $200-$300/night, and if you are going during school break, well......... then yes, it's going to be packed!

The only thing that I didn't like was that the casino is gone, and there is nothing to do at night, if you are young and and want to party when the sun goes down, this is not the place for you.

The private Island was wonderful, it made us wish we had our kids with us, but they are in their 20's. It is GREAT for families, but even just my hubby and I (just turning 50) loved it. The pools were nice too, but with that beach, the pool wasn't of much interest to us. The water parked looked really nice too, but without kids we just didn't go.

The restaurants were expensive, and the food only ok. Rent a car ( we got one on priceline for cheap, and that alone was less then the cost of transp. back and forth to the airport) , plus you could travel a bit. We did travel out to El Passion, and it was very good. Save some money on breakfast, and snacks by stopping at the grocery store, or Walmart on your way in (don't wait until after you check in bc you are not going to want to carry grocery bags and a case of water bottles back with out the help of the valet. Trust me on this)

We had a great time. if you are a family with kids, or a couple just looking to relax, this is a great place.

Babylon, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel offers scenic views, countless amenities and friendly service from the staff. From the minute I stepped onto the property of the El Conquistador Resort, I was greeted by Joey the bell boy who went out of his way to provide the details of the resort and provided me with what the surrounding area had to offer. At check out time, Marisol was very patient in explaining my bill and didn't rush me out of the hotel. She even carried my bags to the holding area until I left the resort. The hotel was accommodating in every way possible to make sure your stay with them was a great one. I felt safe and secure when I was in the hotel which, is a plus when traveling as a single mother with your child. I can't wait till my vacation days become available @ work again so I can book my future trip to the resort. This resort gets an A+ from a tough critic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family