“Paradise in Puerto Rico” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night+$100 Credit
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
Babylon, New York
“Paradise in Puerto Rico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel offers scenic views, countless amenities and friendly service from the staff. From the minute I stepped onto the property of the El Conquistador Resort, I was greeted by Joey the bell boy who went out of his way to provide the details of the resort and provided me with what the surrounding area had to offer. At check out time, Marisol was very patient in explaining my bill and didn't rush me out of the hotel. She even carried my bags to the holding area until I left the resort. The hotel was accommodating in every way possible to make sure your stay with them was a great one. I felt safe and secure when I was in the hotel which, is a plus when traveling as a single mother with your child. I can't wait till my vacation days become available @ work again so I can book my future trip to the resort. This resort gets an A+ from a tough critic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,192)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights (in 2 connecting rooms in Las Olas building) over Spring Break. We were a little disappointed in the decline of the hotel, as we had honeymooned here in 2002. To start withthe pros:
We used Hilton Honors Points plus cash and only paid points plus $100/night. For this price, it was a good value. Anything more than $250/night is not worth it. The resort is beautiful and breath-taking. Palomino Island (their private island) is wonderful with plenty to do....horseback ride, snorkel, soccer, basketball, lounge, eat, drink, jetski, shop. It was well-maintained and service was good. We were here everyday and jetskiied twice. The restaurant was ok. Drinks were very good, especially the Palomino Adventure...but for some reason, none of the bartenders in the hotel could make it. Rooms were spacious.

Cons: Las Olas is very hard to navigate with small children, forget with a stroller!! Takes forever to get anywhere...down funicular to ferry or La Marina. Up funicular, walk, elevator then more walking to get to main hotel, pools, restaurants. Took 45mins roundtrip to get Starbucks in the morning...and the line at Starbucks is always LONG and moves at a turtle's pace. The restaurants are very pricey and service is mediocre. Pools very cold. We had a huge storm, power went out....this meant that we were stranded in/out of our room (Las Olas) b/c there are not steps to Las Olas from main bldg, only funicular. Next morning (Easter), all of the restaurants were at capacity (b/c outdoor ones could not open), so meals were rushed and poor quality. There was not enough activities to occupy all of the meandering people. Spa is fabulous, especially Orlando. Did not use golf course or tennis.

This by no means is a Waldorf-Astoria quality hotel.... the El San Juan in Isla Verde is of higher quality than the El Conquistador and much less expensive. This is a Hilton-quality hotel and should be reflected in their room rates.

Read my specific restaurant reviews for this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The rooms need to be repainted, carpeted, etc. and the hotel needs updating. They definitely cater to families with children. Food, beverages, etc. are ridiculously expensive for being so mediocre. They also add a daily resort fee, some kind of tax and a bellhop fee, so expect to pay an additional $100+ when you check out. The staff was helpful and friendly for the most part. I would not recommend this resort -- 4 star prices for 2-3 star hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
BOSTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed a recent trip to this resort. Check in was efficient at the Hilton Honors desk. We were upgraded to an ocean view room. The room itself was of standard size and the view was truly spectacular. The amenities were fine and everything was very clean. Of the restaurants available we like the Ballyhoo the best. Omar and Veldamar (sorry for the guess at correct spelling) were always friendly and helpful and the food was very well prepared. Andy in Las Brisas was also great. We also found the private island beach, reached via ferry, was very nice with plenty of chairs available. The resort must be very kid friendly because there were lots of families there. In all, I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Most rooms have great views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This year was our 3rd visit to this property and we are blown away each time we go. Driving up is just gorgeous, and that is just the view of the golf course. The pool and sea view are to die for. We love Puerto Rico so much and the El Conquistador is the icing on the cake. Everyone is so friendly and accommodating! Any time we called housekeeping they were at our door almost before we hung up, cheerfully delivering whatever we requested. The crew on the boat delivering people to and from Palomino Island are fantastic, also. The boat was preparing to leave and my husband wished to fill his water bottle so Michael, one of the crew, took off at a run to fill it with ice water for him. Our kids said that they feel so at home whenever we come to the El Conquistador, which is the only place we've ever stayed in Puerto Rico and have absolutely no desire to stay anywhere else! There is so much for kids to do, a scavenger hunt across the entire property, the water park, nets set up in the pool for volleyball, and at Palomino there is ping pong, corn hole, huge chess pieces, basketball, volleyball, soccer, putt putt golf, as well as renting snorkel gear, jet skis, kayaks, paddle boards, and a myriad of inner tubes and rafts. We saw two great acts in the theater, which happen to be complimentary, and the whole family enjoyed the change from casino to game area. The shuffleboard was a great learning experience, and the car race got whole families cheering the winners on. We all loved our stays here and recommend it to our friends. Late evening ice cream is a must and don't forget to pass by the 4 birds by the Starbucks and hear Snowflake say "Ola Ola" and do his dance.

Room Tip: We've stayed in rooms with golf course views and ocean views, not a bad view in the house! Love...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The room was beautiful but the gondola made noise all night long. There was a lot to do for families but we went without our kids for Valentine's Day. I would come back but not for a romantic vacation. It would be wonderful as a family trip for many different age groups.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the gondola.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed at El Conquistador from April 8 - April 13 with our two kids, ages 5 and 8. We have been countless times to Puerto Rico but this was our first stay here. We had never taken a chance due to the mixed reviews. I'm glad I decided to give it a try. Everyone had a great time and we will be back! I mean, what is there not to like? There's a gorgeous private island offshore that they schlep you to, there's a water park with great slides for the kids and ocean views, there's a beautiful pool area with great ocean views, the employees were friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet at Brisas has delicious (do NOT miss the Puertorican pastries section!), there's a marina with again, great ocean views. Did I mention the ocean views? And, there was so much to do! The kids must have gone down the sides over 100 times, we went snorkeling in Palominos, we lounged on a huge couch in Palominos, we sipped frozen drinks, 8-year old tried paddleboarding (with help), we went around the property looking for the "ScoutAbout" bands, etc.

Our experience with the staff was always very positive. I booked a partial ocean view room, and - with the Gold Hhonors status, combined with a hotel that was well-below full occupancy (post-Easter/Spring break and pre-summer) - we were given a beautiful ocean view room in Las Brisas. And we were very close to the breakfast restaurant and the funicular. We didn't have any special requests, but simple questions were well addressed (i.e., employee led us to the restroom when asked where it was or fetched the ping-pong ball when I asked where I could check one out, etc.).

I think they did a disservice to name it a "Waldorf Astoria" resort. I think this brings up a certain level of expectations and the bottom line is that while this is a GREAT family resort, this is not a true luxury property. And it shouldn't be. It's too large to be a true luxury property. It's got too many meeting rooms to be a true luxury property. The decor is not what would be expected of a luxury property (I'm still trying to figure out why there was no decor/furniture except for a couple sad sofas in the large lobby, near the check-in area). It's maintenance also falls short of a luxury property (they. must. clean. the. windows, doors and carpets. of. the. Brisas. hallway!). And it's prices are well-below a luxury property. Let me repeat that, because many reviews here seem to indicate the prices were outrageous. Well, the 3 luxury properties in Puerto Rico that I also looked into seemed to want to charge us anywhere from twice to four times the price per night that we paid for El Conquistador. So, if I don't pay luxury prices ($500-1200/night), I don't expect a luxury property. We had purchased a package and our bill was 100% accurate at check-out, but it sounds like the hotel needs to do a better job at not assessing nickel-and-dime additional charges and fees. Just charge a higher rate and be done with it. The one area that I am glad is a separate fee is the water park. It's not large enough to accomodate all guests and the fee structure helps keep things sane there.

OK, since everyone is talking about the food, I will say this. I wish there was more variety. We rented a car at the airport and had dinner outside the resort on 3 nights. But the two nights that we stayed and ate at the resort, we found the food to be quite good. We ate at Stingray Cafe, which was pricey but delicious, and we also ate at Cafe Bella Vista (by the lobby/main pool) and it was quite good and not expensive. I also wish there was more waitress service. They had one waitress at the Coqui waterpark and none at the main pool. They also need to provide free water. This is the first resort of this caliber where there isn't someone handing out cool water to keep guests hydrated. So, yes, there are improvements to be done, but it is still a great resort, with great views, on a great location. As I said earlier, we WILL be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fajardo
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve