“Not what I would expect from a Waldorf Astoria Property” 3 of 5 stars
Review of El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

You added El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort to your Saves list
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1000 El Conquistador Avenue, Fajardo 00738, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$189 (USD)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Fajardo
Portland, Oregon
“Not what I would expect from a Waldorf Astoria Property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Started off with our deluxe ocean view that included an parking area..suggest to not be in building 3 floors 1,2, or 3 with room number lower than 24.. we switched to a higher room number that pushed us past over to the other more beautiful view.
Hotel is less than what you would expect...including,what hotel in the tropics does not give you free lotion in the bathrooms??? Hotel restaurants are extremely expensive slow and and almost rude.. not a hotel I would come back to for the price at all.

Room Tip: Started off with our deluxe ocean view that included an parking area..suggest to not be in building...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I just spent, 3 nights at the El Conquistador. First impression of the resort was it is was Massive, to point there is a lot of open and unused space because of its excessive size. I was happy that I was upgraded from a Garden view room to an ocean view room which was great, after mentioning my friend and I were here celebrating our birthdays and sarcastically asked if we could upgraded. They had no problems doing so, along with some vouchers for free drinks as well. That was plus. The view from our room was great, but noticed our room really was lacking the typical things.

First off it took us forever to find out room, as it is so huge, and signage to find your way around is rather poor. In the room I wish there was better lighting as well in the entire resort as it was much to dark for my liking. There was no robes in the room, which was shocking to me for being a Waldorf, took us forever to find the hidden refrigerator which was hidden in a cabinet in the bathroom. I kind of wished there was dresser storage in the main area of the room as opposed to the dresser and closet to be in the bathroom. The one issue my friend and I had with the balcony, was we wished there were lounge chairs, or at least a foot stole. 2 chairs and a table doesn't exactly cut it. Oh and the place also be kept a little nicer too power washed or paint touch ups.

The food in the bar areas were ehh, wouldn't waste much money as the quality wasn't all that great. The drinks were watered down too. The restaurants were ok, nothing to much to ride home about. Yes you do have the convenience of everything being at your fingertips within the compound but, must say the steep prices were a tad absurd. Especially $3 for a bottle of water in any of the shops. Which is why thank goodness there was starbucks o nthe compund which is where I ate daily. The only other negative comment would be I wish there was alternate way down to the marina area like an elevator or stairs would have been lovely.

WE did the half day at the waterpark, as I found it crazy to pay $20 a person for a small park, that doesn't offer to many slides, and a small lazy river. the half a day was perfect though.

Palominio Island was gorgeous, quick free 15 min ferry ride, but it was choppy. We did do the horseback riding which was about $65 a person, the ride was abrely 40 min, not much to see on the ride though. Fun to an extent. Water was an amazing color and I did enjoy that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Maineville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed in this property for a work trip for 4 nights. The rooms were nice, AC was strong and the water pressure was great in the bathroom. I was in building 3, and overlooked the bay which was beautiful. The resort is huge, I could see after a few days this getting annoying. There is a shuttle to private island where the beach is - the beach is spectacular. Exactly what you see in pictures. If you want to just run back to your room from the beach, you really cant. The shuttle and funicular that takes you up and down the cliff can make this whole process take an hour. That could get old. The staff was very nice, and quick to help and answer questions. The coffee at the little shop at funicular entrance was Puerto Rican so I enjoyed this coffee instead of the Starbucks in the lobby. The resort sits far off the main drag so if you want to get out and explore the area you really do need a car. We had a car and enjoyed some nice dinners. The conference facility was great, perfect for our large group. Again, the staff impressed me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Awesome place 45 min from San Juan airport. The private island makes it all worthwhile. A free shuttle will take you every 30 minutes to the island to eat and layout. Great concept

Near the hotel just past the scuba shop at marina is a gate. Go out the gate and visit authentic PR. The food and beer is cheaper and the people are nice. However travel in a group as the walk is dark for a 300 yard distance. Tacos are 2.00 ea. versus a 64.00 lunch for two at the hotel

• Stayed February 2013
Matt L, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
You are right about the views at El Conquistador...they are tough to beat. Thank you for your review, we do appreciate your feedback. Come visit us again soon.
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I just stayed here on our vacation. The facilities were clean and well-kept.
The food was pricey but Las Brisas (breakfast) and Stingray (diner) were excellent. Stacey, our hostess at Las Brisas was pleasant, well-organized and enjoyable to speak with each morning.
Sandra, Concierge went out of her way to mail a birthday card for us while there.
Palomino Island was the best part of the trip, clean and not overly crowded beach.
Overall, we had a really nice visit even though there were some disappointments but that happens no matter where you go.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Framingham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I spent 6 days here with my husband and 2 children, ages 5 and 2. My 5 year old has Celiac disease and has to follow a strict gluten-free diet. We had never traveled without access to a kitchen before, so I was quite anxious about how this would work out. I called the manager of food services ahead of time and he was familiar with Celiac. He asked for my son's food preferences so they had gluten free foods he would like on hand during our stay. He and a head chef met us in the lobby at our arrival and answered any questions we had in person. Then, at every meal (there are several restaurants here), the chef came to our table, reviewed the food and preparation so we knew it would be safe. All of the waitstaff knew as soon as we sat down that our son needed a gluten free meal. I felt like we were royalty! The food was well prepared, fresh, and my son was so happy. It really made our vacation a happy and relaxing one!

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend staying in the main hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there after my wife finished conference, had to pay extra for everything, the drinks were expensive, but the most obvious thing is that this place is in need of a room makeover, melamine desks in bathroom, pealing wallpaper, as someone else mentioned for a Waldorf property it is dissapointing

• Stayed February 2013