“Not for wimps” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 48 Activities in Fajardo
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The best way to enjoy an eco adventure! MARINE BIOLOGIST are your guides! Offering the finest BIO BAY, Snorkeling, Diving & Nature Trips on Puerto Rico. Providing at all times fun, safety & knowledge. Guaranteeing always a Pure Adventure!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Dayton, OH
12 attraction reviews
“Not for wimps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

YOU WILL GET WET -- Don't be the idiot who shows up in jeans and expensive sneakers.

Our tour guides were very excited and started off with a safety briefing and a lesson on how to maneuver a two person kayak. Then we walk in waste deep water up to our boat. Some people were wearing jeans and sneakers (no it wasn't me). They looked foolish because they hadn't read any of the descriptions or instructions to wear clothes that WILL GET WET! Anyway, then we paddle across the bay to a small channel in the mangroves. Here it gets a little dicey. The current is strong and you cannot see much of anything. Here is where you must have a sense of adventure and keep your wits about you. It can be scary if you allow it. Otherwise you stay close to a guide and keep paddling. When you finally get to bio bay a guide will circle everyone up and explain the science behind the bio bay. Then you have a few minutes to dunk your hands in the water and make some glows. It really is pretty fascinating. Then paddle back through the mangroves to the bay where you started. Stay close to a guide and keep paddling. It can be scary if your a wimp. Prepare to paddle through absolute darkness through a mangrove.

PAowner, Owner at Pure Adventure, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Hola!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience. It is always helpful for the next visitors.
I am very happy that you had a great time, and I agree with you about the fact that you get wet during the excursion, and also that it is indeed very dark, especially late at night. Some areas of the canal are open but others areas are like a tunnel, with the mangroves completely covering the sky, it is beautiful and dark.
Our early tour is perfect for those who does not like darkness too much, we enter during the day light and come out at night. This way you can get use to the environment, so that coming back will be easier to manage.
The strength of the current varies with the moon cycle, and the time that we are entering.
Everything is explained at the beginning of our safety briefing, before getting in to the kayaks.

We'll be very happy to assist you with any questions or doubts about the adventure.

Hope to see you soon, adventurer!

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 attraction reviews
“Pure Adventure Bio Bay Tour - Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Definitely a must do while in PR! Our family of 4 (ages 50-20) all agreed that this was the best part of our ten day trip. We had some previous experience kayaking and felt that the instructions were more than adequate; we knew exactly what to expect following their orientation. Never felt at risk or in danger and the guides were knowledgeable and polite. I am glad we took the early trip as we got to see the mangroves in the twilight which was interesting and helpful in navigating on the return trip. The one negative is that the public restrooms facilities are bad; my husband would not even let our daughter and I go near them. Bring dry clothes, towels, etc but realize that you might have to be creative in figuring out how to change into them.

PAowner, Owner at Pure Adventure, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience in our adventure. We are truly happy that you had such a great time. It is true what you mentioned about the bathrooms, unfortunately we've tried many times to bring this matter to the pertinent authorities with no success.
I like the early tour too, it does help going through the canal during the sunset, it help you to familiarize with the area.
Thank you for visiting our Island.

Hope to see you soon!

Dorado, Puerto Rico
“Fun experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had no experience kayaking and I had a great time. The tour guides were all very nice, polite and funny, they helped making the experience fun! At the time that I went you couldn't experience the glow much because of the moon (it was big, and that affects the glow) but the guide had something to cover the kayaks and you could appreciate very nicely the glow, it was really amazing! Of course it is very dark on the way back but if you follow instructions it can be a very pleasant trip. My recommendation for people doing this is to just have fun with it, the guides help if you ask them, and they won't let anything horrible happen to you they care about safety. I think part of a fun experience is how your ''state of mind'' is, if you want it to be fun it can be fun! I do recommend it to everyone, it is a very good experience. When you go just enjoy it with everyone else!

Bronx, New York
“Terrifying Experience!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I echo all the reviewers who complained about their Bio Bay experience as we experienced the EXACT SAME THING. Let me first say that the bay itself is an incredibly beautiful phenomenon. Unfortunately, we were barely able to enjoy it for all the reasons stated in other reviews. Total chaos in the mangrove pathways out to the bay. The "orientation" by our guide prior to the kayak launching was just poorly and unprofessionally executed and didn't prepare myself or my girlfriend for the hellish experience to come. Not to mention the guide's accent (which i'm sure he cannot help) didn’t make understanding the instructions any easier. The corny jokes which are no doubt recycled from group to group weren’t appreciated either. Much too laissez-faire for my taste and let me also mention that I was a first time kayaker so perhaps that was also part of the problem. I will admit that. I’ll refrain from reiterating all the major problems with this trip. You can hear about them from other reviewers. I assure you, they are NOT exaggerations. We had a 14 year old girl with us and she was hysterical. This little girl was clearly traumatized. Her gut-wrenching wails of terror will be replayed in my memory over and over forever. I want to9 make a suggestion that is perhaps logistically impossible which could accomplish two things: 1) It will make the trip much less scary and 2) It will make it an enchanting, magical experience. If lanterns could somehow be strung amongst the mangrove trees it would illuminate the route to the bay. Imagine how useful and magical that could be? Anyway, used EXTREME caution when doing this trip!

PAowner, Owner at Pure Adventure, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
We are very sorry about your experience. It is totally understandable that not everyone can manage this type of tour. I have to point out that we have had endless number of kids before, 6 years and older, and they have had an incredible experience. We establish from the beginning of the orientation prior entering to the water the fact that other kayak companies will be going in and out of the channel, mostly first time kayakers, which sometimes makes it a contest to cross the mangrove forest. And because of that we provide you with the safety briefing before going into the water, giving you techniques to minimize crushing into the mangroves or other kayaks, and what to do in the eventuality that you crushed into them. Of course, the other companies do not necessarily provide the same orientation to their clients.
Having fun is part of enjoying your vacations, so even thou we are the only company that provides our clients with quality information about the bioluminescence and the place that we are visiting we want you to feel relax and enjoy, we do not want our clients to feel like they are in a classroom, we believe good humor is indispensable in the adventure.
Your recommendation about the lights in the canal is great, however, we are visiting a wildlife reserve of Las Cabezas de San Juan, for that reason we cannot keep the canal constantly illuminated for it will disturb the wildlife that are resting. It is proper to highlight that we are the only company that indicate the hard turns with a white light. Darkness is part of the tour, and we clearly establish that at all times.
Our crew is well prepared, we love what we do and enjoy sharing the wonders of our Island with our guest.

Welcome and enjoy Puerto Rico!

Hummelstown, Pennsylvania, United States
“nice but not like pictures”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

it was a neat experience, but the bay didn't "glow" like I thought it would. I would recommend going to Vieques mosquito bay, which I heard glows more....

PAowner, Owner at Pure Adventure, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Hola everyone!

Thank you for your comment. It is indeed a neat experience that no one should miss. Especially for the fact that the guide & Marine Biologist enlighten you with key information about the factors that contribute to the right conditions for this microorganism to be able to reproduce, congregate and glow. In every night you see the glowing, unpredictably some nights glows brighter than others. Why? Our perception of the glowing, salinity, water temperature, luminal contamination, and fresh water income, etc. For this reason it is very hard to predict how it will glow every night. Among the places where this phenomenon is seen every night, Laguna Grande is the only Lagoon that glows, the others are bays, including the one on Vieques, which is good too. Previous studies have proven that ours has the highest concentration of these microorganisms compare to the bioluminescent bays. I truly hope that this information help in the understanding of unpredictable levels of brightness.

Always at your service,