“High Tea at Good Hope Great House” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Good Hope Plantation

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Falmouth
Good Hope Plantation
Save Saved
You added Good Hope Plantation to your Saves list
1 Trelawny St, Falmouth, Jamaica   |
Columbus, Ohio
“High Tea at Good Hope Great House”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

We visited Good Hope Great House as an excursion through Royal Caribbean on a cruise. The excursion was called High Tea at Good Hope Great House and we did not care for it. (either did the others on our tour as they were all complaining and blasting the tour on the survey). The sandwiches were set out on a tray- not covered at all and no ice underneath the tray to keep them cold. Keep in mind this is a patio like semi-enclosed area exposed to bugs and heat. The sandwich fillings were not cold and everyone on our tour was afraid to eat them so we didnt. The cookies were nothing to write home about. I ate very little as nothing was covered and I was unsure how long they had been sitting there among the flies.

The real kicker was the tea. It was TEA BAGS! I am not kidding. That was thing most people could not 'get over' is that you advertise this as a 'high tea' and offer a bunch of teabags that you could have gotten on the ship or at home.

It took about 25 minutes to drive out there and was very disorganized. While the house tour itself was enjoyable and interesting (our tour guide for the house was very knowledgeable) it was not worth the drive out there or the money we paid. I also mentioned how bad the tour was on my end of cruise survey.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

Good Hope is one of those places that if you don't look for it, you'll never find it. Near Falmouth, Jamaica, it sits back from the main road. The Plantation covers quite a few acres of land, so you never see fellow visitors, unless you want to. Take the time to wander the plantation, visit the Great House, and visit David Pinto's pottery studio.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Edison, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

In 1997 I was living in Europe and discovered an article about Good Hope in an English magizine. My wife and I were planning a wedding when she won tickets to Jamaica at her church back in New York. I called from Europe and made a reservation. We stayed in the County House which was called the Counting House then. It was one of the best times of my life. The owner was a great guy and we loved the place.

• Liked — We were alone, off season, with our own cook/waiter and two very protective dogs followed us everywhere
  • Disliked — Off season so the pool was not ready.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

We have just returned from Good Hope Villa in Jamaica. My family and I enjoyed a wonderful time of fun, wonderful food, and amazing people. From the moment you are greeted at the airport by the villas driver you are made to feel that you are a very special member of their family arriving for a long overdue visit. It's a wonderful place for a family reunion, relaxing time, good walks, horse back riding, swimming or going down to the beach. They have interesting peaces of history about the plantation all over the main house. We had a very special family vacation enjoyed by all, from the grand children to the grand parents and all in between.

• Liked — Beds comfortable, good food,
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2007

We went to Good Hope Plantation for the day to see the grounds, go horseback riding and have lunch. The place is absolutely beautiful, the food was delicious and the staff was extremely friendly. It was the perfect escape from the commercial resort world we were living in for the week - it was the day of nature I had been craving. We had a wonderful day and hope to get back there with friends to spend a few nights.

• Liked — The non-commercial, natural feel of the place.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

Good Hope Estate is a fantastic place in the hills of Trelawny, located about 45 minutes from Montego Bay. If you are looking for a vacation in Jamaica that is not on the beach, this is the best place you will find. With its lush greenery, scenic hills, and abundant wildlife, this is the Jamaica that most tourists do not see or even realize exists. There are several trails where one can spend the day exploring. One trail, in particular, took us over a 200+ year old bridge to an equally historic sugar cane mill. They also have a working horse stable if you are interested in seeing the estate by horse.

The estate is a working 2000 acre ranch, with several villas scattered throughout. The villas are refurbished buildings, with 200 year old stone walls. Inside, though, the furnishings are modern and comfortable. The River Cottage, which is the most remote from the other villas, features its own pool and has steps down to the river, where you can swim in a pond. The rooms here are decorated with paintings and sculptures from local artists. No detail has been omitted in the amenities (books, DVDs, CDs) and decor which give it a rustic but funky feel. We also explored the main house which was decorated with historic artifacts and photos/maps which gave us an interesting look into the history of the place.

The food is delicious. Doreen cooked all of our meals and it was some of the best food we have had in Jamaica. All of our meals were served at our outdoor dining area (there is also one indoors) where you can hear the birds and see the fireflies at night. Doreen was also a great source of history about the estate and gave us highlights of what we could expect to see.

This is one of the nicest and most relaxing places we have been to in Jamaica.

• Stayed May 2005
Hinsdale, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2004

Just under 45 minutes east of Montego Bay, just up from Falmouth, into the exotic cockpit lies the magical environs of Good Hope Country House.

Good Hope, as of Jan.17, 2005 will be open to tours. I've already taken the introductory tour and it is the perfect compliment to those spending most of their time on the beach. Finally the opportunity to experience one of the most beautiful properties in Jamaica. I loved the commanding views of the cockpit, with surrounding orchards of exotic fruit trees amidst rolling hills and neigboring sugar cane fields. I felt like I finally experienced the essence of the beauty and tranquility of Jamaica. You won't believe it, until you've seen it. No wonder movies such as, "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" and countless photo shoots for Vogue Magazine take advantage of this dramatic landscape.

Ahhhhh, back to the tour.

The mighty power of the Martha Brae River has once again been channeled via 18th Century aquaducts, turning the ancient water wheel. The relaxing vibes of Jamaica's rural splendor washed over me as I lazily dipped my feet in the rushing cool water as I enjoyed a Red Stripe under the welcome cool shade of towering bamboo trees. I loved reading and learning about rural Jamaica, and the history of the immediate area on all the informative plaques strategically placed throughout the tour. For me, the magic of old Jamaica came alive. The collection of original centuries-old elegant out-buildings completed the aura of a haunted mystical grandeur now come back to life. If you are not visited by the Ghost of Good Hope this tour, you may be the next trip!

The topper was the 4-6 (I lost count) course scrumptous lunch served up at the Great House. It is carefully prepared daily, now scheduled from Monday through Friday. Do take your time and recharge yourself. Take a horseback ride, let your young ones splash in the pool, watch the hummingbirds flit through the beautiful gardens. But whatever you do, whether by tour bus, jeep, or taxi, don't miss Good Hope. It will be the day you remember most, and, I predict, one special reason you return to Jamaica. Over, and over again.

Been to Good Hope Plantation? Share your experiences!