“Best family vacation yet” 5 of 5 stars

You added N-Resort All Inclusive For Adults to your Saves list
N-Resort All Inclusive For Adults
3.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   PO Box 1933, Falmouth, Jamaica   |
Philadelphia, PA
“Best family vacation yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2004

We just got back from spending a week at FDR Pebbles - we are so sad to be home. We had the most wonderful time in Jamaica. My husband and I were nervous to take a vacation with both kids - thinking that we wouldn't really get a "vacation". We did. When we checked in we met our vacation nanny - Latoya - who was fantastic. When we needed a break she took the kids (7.5 months and 4 yrs); when we wanted one or both of them with us, she stayed with us to help out.

The resort itself was also great - filled with energetic staff, who were all very friendly, and who by the end of our week - knew all of us (and I mean everyone who was staying there that week) by our first names. The staff make this place what it is.

The resort activities were offered in such an organized, but low-key way, that you felt great participating, but you also feld great if you didn't. No pressure - no problem.

We went during October, and arrived the day after Pebbles reopened after having been closed due to a hurricane. Maybe that's why it was so quite. But with the 20 or so other families that were there, we all became fast friends, and all of our kids played together the whole week. We want to go back!

• Stayed October 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2004

First of all, let me say that this was my first trip to Jamaica. I came to Pebbles expecting a first rate, quality resort; however, I was somewhat dissappointed. My girlfriends and I thought that this resort was located in Runaway Bay which is actually 30 minutes away. This resort is actually located in Falmouth (Trelawney) which is 30 minutes from Montego Bay. So it is the halfway point. This place is full of mosquitoes, so please bring Off Woodsman Repellent (regular mosquito repellent does not work). There were limited activities for us to do. Everything seemed to be closed (i.e: hot tub, Sabbia Restaurant only opened on Tuesday and Friday, no activities in the discotheque, no shuttle service until Fridays). Furthermore, the transportation service was a big joke! We had to pay US$15.00 to ride 50 yards down to Bamboo Village Arts and Crafts and US$120.00 to Ocho Rios. It seemed like every time we wanted to get off the resort to sightsee or do some shopping, it cost over US$100.00! Subsequently, I thought this was ludicrous when the resort has a shuttle bus on premises that can take you to the main points of interest. If you had transportation concerns, the resort directed you to a tour service that charged astronomical prices. The beach was dismal at best (lots of sticks and seaweed). And to top it off, some of the locals are allowed to wander the resort to take advantage of single women. One man asked me did I want some good sex from him!!! Ladies, please watch your purses!!

Do yourself a favor and research thoroughly any resort of interest before you go to Jamaica. Find out if they have top-notch security, shuttle transportation service, and any activities like waterskiing, boating, etc. This place is for the sedentary types.. Next time I go to Jamaica, it will be to Negril.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

Our family stayed at the FDR Pebbles Resort from Aug. 30 - Sept. 4. There are 4 of us--2 adults, and 2 children (boy age 11, girl age 7). Here are some notable facts:

GUEST ROOMS AND RESORT PROPERTY: Our room was cleaned and ready when we arrived (at 1:00pm), and it was cleaned daily by our nanny. We asked for and received extra linens and bath items. There was also cold soda and snacks in our refrigerator. Only issue was that hot water in the bathroom was inconsistent, and there were just too many mosquitoes inside our room. The ground areas within the resort were clean and litter free. The area around the tennis court and petting zoo could use some sweeping though.

POOL/BEACH AREAS: The pool is gigantic and shallow, between 2.2 and 4.6ft deep in spots. There's a swim up bar, a slide for the kids, and you can also play pool basketball or volleyball. The beach is nice and shallow, and a relaxing spot to take in some cool breezes as you listen to waves and look out at clean, turquoise waters. You can do some swimming and kayaking. Only issue is that some spots along the beach have lots of seaweed, and other ocean debris that shouldn't be allowed to build up.

FOOD/DRINKS: The food was average--some items were good, some not so good. There were a combination of American and Jamaican dishes served. Some dishes were not very well seasoned for my taste, but there were some creative dessert items and lots of fresh fruit available. Drinks were OK...but I feel the bartenders could use some tips with blender drinks like pina coladas and daquiris.

RECREATION/ACTIVITIES: You can sit and read by the beach or pool and do nothing, or there's plenty of daily activities for everyone. I mean, the kids have pool/beach activities, day trips they could take, arts and crafts, and kids' and teen centers for video games, board games, and movies. The adults have pool/beach activities, bar activities, games, and live entertainment in the evenings. There's also a discoteque, spa, and exercise room. The activities staff is fun, energetic, and well organized. Absolutely no shortage of what to do at FDR Pebbles!

NANNIES/STAFF SERVICE: Our nanny was very good and attentive, and not too intrusive or overbearing. She spent time with our 7-year old (Our 11-year old thought he was too old for a nanny!). She was an extra help and "eye" for us, and involved our daughter in many of the kids' activities. The staff, overall, was polite and courteous. Now, there were a couple of staff members who could use lessons on how to be more pleasant--or, at least pretend that you're not bothering them when you seek their assistance.

TIPS ON WHAT NOT TO FORGET: Your own health and beauty items, plenty of mosquito repellent for yourself and to spray in your room, and sunscreen. They have a gift shop, but you'll pay a fortune for things (like $5 for a simple toothbrush!?)

WHAT WOULD BE A NICE EXTRA: Coin washers and dryers available (because after a few days and with kids, you may want to do some laundry), and more shade umbrellas by the pool area.

OVERALL: On a scale of 1-10, I'll give it an 8. I would take my family again and recommend it to others!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2004

We have 3 year old triplet boys and a 6 year old son - 4 boys who are quite a handful. We paid a tiny bit extra ($20/day) and had an extra nanny. They were both great and it made for a great vacation for us. Food is mediocre as other reviews indicate. We never saw or heard of anyone getting sick. There was plenty to do for our kids who spent most of their time in the water either at the pool or beach (a bit small).

One gripe - we arrived late due to flight problems and missed the orientation. IF this happens to you... be sure to go back and get your own orientation. That's where they tell you what tours are leaving when etc. We missed a few things we wnted to do.

We're definitely going back. No matter what we look at as an alternative it falls short of what we want and need that Pebbles provides, even if not at the highest level. Come to Pebbles for a FAMILY and parent-friendly trip... not for a deluxe luxury trip. By the way, the dive staff are very nice (albeit a little overprotective of all divers irrespective of experience level) and they are decidely good people.

Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2004

We visited FDR Pebbles August 3-10th as a family with a 12 year old girl and 14 year old boy. I spent weeks scouring the web for the perfect vacation and wish to warn all those doing the same. While the vacation was by no means a disaster, the web site is false advertising at its worst. The reason I chose Pebbles was for its preteen and teen program which on the web site promises a "supervised campsite, beach parties, fishing, hiking, all terrain bicycle trips, field trips up Martha Brae river" and other fun activities for the kids. NONE of this happened or was available though the weather was fine and there was no obvious reason not to have these activities. The web site also promises the kids can "surf the net or pick up their email @ the cyber center"- but fails to mention that it will cost 15 cents a minute and the dial-up connection is so snail slow it takes 5 minutes just to get connected. I felt I was constantly hounding the entertainment staff to get on with any activities, but the preteen- teen activities were woefully absent. My son spent the week playing Halo and other playstation and xbox games. The food was abysmal ( and I do not have high standards). On a positive note the room was clean, the tennis pro Jon is very nice and we played tennis with him every day. We are PADI certified and dove each morning which was excellent.
In summary, I think all the other positive reviews were by people who greatly valued the nanny feature of Pebbles, but for older kids the activities promised are just not there and the web site claims are downright fraudulent. So, web reviewers beware.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2004

I love this place. The food was good, the service incredible! I've never stayed at a resort with such FRIENDLY staff. We spend our days on the beach and poolside and our evenings at the Oceanside bar. Barmen Kerry and Harry were amazing...make sure to ask for a "Flamming Bob Marley" it's a very pretty shooter.
We left the resort for one day to climb the "Dunn's River Falls", it was very exiciting and amazing! If you have a chance you should do it!
The Italian restaurant has delicious food and we were able to eat there every evening they were open. The buffet meal is also very good but the restaurant was a nice way to have a quiet dinner without any children.
The only negative comment I would have to say is: Don't be in a hurry for anything...you have to wait for everything...ie.I asked for an ironing board and iron and waited all week...no problem mon! You're in Jamaica!lol!
If you do leave your room at night make sure to spray yourself with bug spray...if not you will be eaten alive!
Also...if you want to get your braids done, some of the nannies will do for you if you ask them discretly. I paid 20us$ for mine (medium length hair), the hotel salon was asking 50us$?!?!
This place is a little peace of heaven on earth!!!

• Stayed August 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2004

I am so depressed. I miss this place so much. It is so much better than the pictures displayed on FDR's website. Leaving the staff and the nannies made us cry. They make you feel so comfortable that you never want to leave. I was there with my 78y/o mother, my sister, my best girlfriend, and my three boys ages 10y,8y,and 3y. We had two nannies since we had to rooms. Simone and Latoya were wonderful. I can't say enough about this place. I read almost every review on tripvisor about this resort and was not sure what to expect. The food is good. The beach on the property is small but take a walk down and it goes on forever. It continues past Starfish resort and down to a large public beach for the natives. It is safe. I took my boys down there. All I can say is you have to go!!!!! Tell Livingston, Simone, Latoya,Richard,Jason,Dameon,Roger and Tashona at the front desk that Maria and Tarnice truly miss them. I'm working on a way to get back there right now. I have been to Jamaica three times and this is the resort I want to return to. You will not regret this holiday. Your children will love it. Be prepared to console them when you leave. The property is surround with lush beautiful plants and flowers.The kids where gone all day with the nannies. They never wanted to retire for the night. If you go please take me with you. I have pictures if you like.

Been to N-Resort All Inclusive For Adults? Share your experiences!