“First time at N Resort” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Specialty Resort   |   PO Box 1933, Falmouth, Jamaica   |
So. California
“First time at N Resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We recently returned from our first stay at N Resort. I have to say that we had a really good time, I wish that I could say great but there are a few issues that keep me from saying that. I wish I could I would give them 3 ½ stars, for the price we paid it was not what we would consider 4 stars. During our stay the occupancy varied from 6 to 14 couples. For the most part we were happy with the services provided by the resort with so few guests.

The room was great, plenty of room and very clean, the bed was comfortable, air conditioner worked well and was quite. We got good TV reception. The view from the spacious balcony was fantastic. We were not bothered by noise from the other guests, I think that most people try to keep the noise down since they know that walls are thin, and that if you are on a ground floor room your ceiling is the floor for those upstairs. The bathrooms are basic, plenty of towels, no real problems except for the lack of hot water at times in the shower. I had no problem with the occasional cool shower.

The grounds were beautiful with lots of foliage that was kept well trim. The only areas that seemed to lack upkeep were the fish and turtle ponds. There were 3 horses on the property in a stable area behind the tennis courts though not really neglected it did seem like they deserved better care. Every day my wife enjoyed bringing them treats after breakfast. It seemed like there was constant work being done on the property but there are areas that need more that a coat of paint, mainly the entrances to the beach and the area of pavers near the main restaurant.
The pool and slide is the best feature of this resort. The pool is large and kept clean and the waterslide is a blast! (Tip; try not to be the first one down the slide, when the sides are dry it is not the most pleasant ride). They have a swim up bar behind the slide that we enjoyed when we wanted to get some shade in the afternoon. The only real downer for us this trip was that all three Jacuzzis were out of operation for the first couple of days, some guests complained that none work for their entire 11 day stay. On the day we were leaving they got a second one operating. I know that stuff happens but 11 days with none of them working is hard to overlook. With the low occupancy there was no problem finding shade for those who might have had too much sun, at a higher level occupancy shade would be at a premium.

I found the food very good but my wife was disappointed. I found breakfast to be very satisfying, but I am happy with basic bacon and eggs. While my wife wished that they had a better selection of food at the buffet area. The same with lunch, I was happy with what was offered, ether the daily specials or a burger from the grill, my wife just had a hard time finding something that she liked, she mostly settled for a burger or a wrap. I found the dinners to be really good, especially the buffets the only complaint is that they serve so much pasta dishes and we really don’t care for pasta. If occupancy was higher and they had both restaurants open for dinner I doubt that we would have gone to the Italian one, but this trip we didn’t have a choice. One suggestion for the resort is to have a host/hostess seat people when they arrive for dinner, as it was everyone mills about the bar and then seated all at the same time, I am sure that this causes the kitchen to be slammed. When the occupancy was down to 8 couples this was no problem but on our last night with 14 couples being seated at the same time there was an impact. Everybody was served promptly their appetizers and soup and salad courses but those seated at our table were not served our entrees until some tables had completed theirs and the tables had been cleared. Another suggestion is to have the area near the bar at the main restaurant fogged for insects. It was hard to relax at the bar when everyone is spraying each other with OFF or the Listerine spray they had on hand.

The staff at N resort was for the most part friendly and it seemed happy to serve the guests. The one thing I noticed was how the level of service changed when Freddy the GM was around. When he was there the level was top notch, plenty of drink service around the pool, the bar tenders were always right there ready to serve you. But when he was not around there was no pool side service and you had to wait for the staff to take a break from their conversations to take your order. Housekeeping was great, the room was always kept clean and the bar stocked with what was requested.

For the most part the entertainment staffs kept us entertained, the afternoon contests were a little disorganized at times. But we did like the demonstrations on making jerk sauce, fruit and patties tasting, and cooking a jerk pasta dish. They also had rock painting; it would be nice if they included body painting. We did find the nightly themes to be a bit tiresome; it would be nice if for a night or two they had no theme or maybe have an Au Natural night were everyone would be encouraged to just wear their birthday suites; after all it is a nudist resort.

I do have to give kudos to Freddy the GM. My wife injured her eye right before we left on our vacation and while at N resort ran short on her pain medications. When Freddy was told of her dilemma he immediately pulled out his cell phone to make contact with a doctor in Falmouth. Within an hour with Freddy’s assistance and help from the front desk, we were in a cab heading to the doctors for the prescription, then the pharmacy in Falmouth to have it felled and back to the resort all in about 90 mins.

We did have a good time at N Resort, we met up with some old friends and made some new ones and would like to return in the future. If we were able to get some of the great deals that some who booked after us did I might have given them a higher rating, but the fact is for what we received we overpaid. Next time I will wait later before booking.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Sterling Heights, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Jamaica. Hedo-3 was too crazy, Hedo-2 the crowds are too young, Braco is no more, Club-O in St Martin has too many day trippers and singles, so what's a couple to do? Check out the N-Resort in Trelawney. After 13 days and 12 nights we can say these guys go the extra mile to make sure you have everything that you could ever expect from a resort hotel and more, we asked for Guinness they got it, we asked for Smirnoff Ice they got it. We asked for Mango pancakes and 8 minutes later they were piping hot on our breakfast table. We asked for curried eggs for lunch one day and from India the recipe came, Ackee and salt fish, stewed curry chicken roti, no problem ... need an extra umbrella on the beach? 5 minutes later it appeared. We asked for Rumcream slushy's with coconut rum no problem mon. Chef Martin Sterling and Asst chef Jeffery, lead bartender Jeffrey and his crew, Raquel, Megan, Pam and all the guys on the wait staff, Tracy Hyde at the front desk, Roxanne in housekeeping and Essence our activity director were all outstanding. There wasn't 5 minutes in a day that passed when we didn't see security. This is the same beach that Hollywood filmed How Stella got her Goove Back in the 80's and in the 70's they filmed The Mighty Quinn with Denzel Washington and Robert Townsend. Don't get me wrong ... this isn't a 5 star beach front palace it is a simple 70's Carribean charmer in Jamaica, clean, peaceful and charming with a beautiful beach, great food and service. The grounds workers are always busy doing maintenance and gardening. This place is a diamond in the rough if you enjoy nude vacations. If you go take long pants and a long sleeve shirt for dinner to help with mosquitos or just remember to take and use insect repellant. Bring along some of your CD's these guys have CD players all over the place or find a beach hammock and listen to the waves crash on the beach. The Seagrape beachfront couples massage is outstanding just lay back and let them do their magic. We aren't sure how things will be once the Starfish just down the beach is done with their remodel in 2014 there could be a lot of foot traffic on this beach with "Time and Place" just next door, but that's a C-optional beach club also so only time will tell. Make sure you stay after dinner to enjoy the entertainment, especially bartender Jeffrey's band - they are really outstanding!! If you aren't wiped out by a full day in the sun, lots of great food, after dinner entertainment, check out Barrington in the Piano Bar. He was a great sport with our terrible loud singing but we had a blast!! We can't wait to get back there. If you venture off the resort, the Bob Marley 9 Mile Tour, the resort sponsored shopping trip and the Luminous Lagoon are all fun to do. On a previous trip we did Duns River Falls and the Chukka ATV trip ... lots of fun too. Happy travels.

Room Tip: Ask for room 138 or room 240 in block10.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lehigh Valley Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

April 21 to April 26,. My wife and I just got back from five days at the N. We had a wonderful time and the staff could not do enough for you. Jeffrey, Shawn and Johnny were great. Freddie was always there if you needed something. Good food and everyone did dress for dinner. There was always something to do. Met some great people and saw a few that were (no it alls). Overall we will go back. Our room was in block 10 and just was the best location. Wish we were still there.

Room Tip: Block ten is right on the water and away from any noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

April 15-25th.
My husband and I travelled to this resort, and had a wonderful time...
Upon arrival, we were taken around the resort and showed where everything was.... and our room was ready..
All the staff were excellent.... Gourmet meals, just wonderful from the Chef Jeffrey.
Pool was warm and clean... Beach beautiful... and our room (202) Block 1, was very nice and cleaned twice.
Maid comes in at night to plug in the insect machine.. and put the mesh insect screen around the bed....
Weather was gorgeous.. We really didn't want to leave.
Freddie the Manager, is a very nice guy, with excellent knowledge.
A few daily activities, and each night was a theme.... Leaf night, white night, pirate night etc.
We are planning to go back next year in April also..
Lots of ladies wore wraps to dinner, which is nice. Over all our 10 day vacation, has been the best so far. The staff wait on you so you are never without a drink..
Lots of towels to be had, so no need to bring your own.
The gardener will take you around the grounds, and explain lots of the plants and what remedy they are good for...
We can not wait to return

Room Tip: Block 1 was close to the disco. But a beautiful view of the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
West Hill, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This trip was our third since the resort opened, and the best of the three. This will not be a report of daily activities, but rather a commentary on what we thought were key elements of the resort and of our stay.

ARRIVAL: After registering with the Jamaica Travel Limited booth at the airport, we were told to wait at the curb for a van to take us to the resort. We had to wait for what seemed a long time (really only about 20 minutes) while the van driver tried to get enough passengers to fill the van. The ride to N took about 30 minutes in light traffic.

CHECK-IN: This time the check-in was a bit less welcoming than in previous trips. The people at the desk were efficient, but rather matter-of-fact. We had requested a specific room, but were assigned a room in a different block. I understand that there are no guarantees. We were travelling with a friend, and had requested that we be placed in nearby rooms. In fact we were placed in buildings 1 and 7. Luckily, Freddy happened to be nearby, and a quick polite conversation with him resolved the issue to our satisfaction. Ronald, the bellboy, was very helpful with suggestions for a pleasant stay.

ROOM: Previous reports have described the rooms at N. Ours was quite adequate. The bed was on the hard side, but very comfortable. The bathroom was fine, though the fixtures could use an update. The biggest complaint we had was the inconsistent water pressure and temperature. On some days you had plenty of water, and on some days it was scalding hot and on other days it was cool. On one occasion the water pressure dropped to a trickle just as I finished soaping up! The mini-bar was stocked with 2 beers, 2 pops, a jug of water, and a bottle of champagne (perhaps as a return guest perk). The wi-fi was again inconsistent, some days great, others not so.

FOOD: For 8 of the 10 days, breakfast was served in the Main Dining Room. Samuel, the omelette chef from previous years, was no longer there, but the 2 replacements made very decent omelettes and scrambled eggs. I do like my salsa with the eggs, and this too was available on some days and not on others (had to ask for it). The porridge was very tasty, and the bacon was nicely crisp. Would have loved some crispy hash-browns (alas not to be had!). Lunch was always at the Beach Bar and Grill. My favourite was the Pepper Pot soup. The quesadillas were delicious, but the curried chicken was a disappointment. At both breakfast (and to a slightly lesser extent, at lunch) the slight letdown was the “forgetfulness” of the wait staff. They would ask what we wanted to drink, I would order orange juice or coffee, and they would disappear. You would see them wandering around, apparently having forgotten that I wanted something. Just a slight annoyance. Didn’t notice it at dinner. Dinner was in the Main Dining room. Food was uniformly delicious, with the exception of the steak. We had asked for rare and medium-rare; they came well-done, and were tough to eat. The fish in different forms was delicious.

ENTERTAINMENT: N is not a 5 star glass and marble resort, and neither is the entertainment. Repeat guests will know of the fire-eater, whose show becomes a bit boring after a couple of repeats. The people with the bamboo poles and the broken-glass fellow did their usual thing. I “volunteered” for the bamboo pole event, but my performance was did not get an Oscar. My wife and I both entered the “Is it water or is it Vodka” contest, which was a hoot. Jeffery’s band was very good, with Jeffery on the guitar putting on a very animated show. One night they had 3 ladies who put on a musical show, with very good vocals and very danceable music. We even spent some after-dinner time in the Piano Bar. We enjoyed the entertainment more this year than in previous years, perhaps because we participated in the silliness. I don’t think this was part of the fire-eater’s act, but just after he had finished, many of the staff ran towards the Beach Bar. We got up to see what the commotion was all about. Apparently the sensor on one of the deep-fryers had malfunctioned, and there was a grease fire of somewhat epic proportions. The bar was closed for lunch the next day, but reopened the following day with a new deep-fryer and a bright fresh coat of paint for the whole bar.

ACTIVITIES: The day’s activities were written on a board daily, and most of them were actually held. The volleyball and aquacize (sp?) were loudly announced at the stated time. Most felt that the aquacize was well done and I thought it was worth getting up off my lounge. The highlight for my wife and I was the goat race on the beach. Goats are stubborn, and will not move if pulled. You have to use mental telepathy to make them want to win! We both won in our respective races for 2 bags of Blue Mountain coffee! Did I mention the 2 bottles of rum (200 ml) that we won at the lunchtime trivia contest?

CLEANLINESS: We noticed that the beach was cleaner than in previous trips, which helped convince my wife to do several swim laps daily. The beach was raked daily (and seemed almost constantly) to keep it free of seaweed. The hot tubs were drained, scrubbed with bleach, rinsed off and refilled on a daily basis. The main pool could use more frequent vacuuming; there were leaves and tiny pebbles on the bottom in places. The rest of the resort was spotless. The housekeeping staff did a great job of cleaning the rooms and smelling fresh.

NUDE WALKS: My mornings started with a power walk on the beach to the right of the resort. The chain link fence had been taken down, so I walked all the way to the resort next door (formerly Breezes, now being renovated to be opened as Memories White Sands). Two laps of that walk gave me a 20 min workout. In the afternoon we checked for Low Tides and went for a walk to the left of the resort past Time ‘n Place. The walk almost to the new Falmouth pier is about an hour. Royal Caribbean, who are key players in the new pier, have cleaned out a small part of the beach and have built a small beach bar and souvenir shops about 10 minutes beyond Time ‘n Place, called Red Stripe Beach Bar. They are bringing passengers for a beach excursion. This means that you need to take some sort of minimal cover-up to be used in front of the textiles when approaching the place on cruise ship days.

NUDITY: Finally a word about probably the main reason why people go to N. The resort bills itself as an “all nude, naturist getaway”, and around the pool and on the beach that certainly was the case. I was disappointed with the amount of clothing worn at meals. The resort clearly states on their website and in printed leaflets in the rooms that cover-ups are NOT required in the dining rooms. Freddy said that that was changed because that was what people wanted. Great! Unfortunately, that was not the case. Lunch at the Beach Bar saw the most nudity, with about 30% nude and the rest with some form of cover-up (I am discounting the bum-towel as an item of clothing). However at breakfast and dinner, most people were covered. Some wore plain street clothes, some wore stylish resort wear, and some wore, dare I say, sleaze-wear. Now I have absolutely nothing against street clothes (I do wear them from time to time!), the stylish resort wear is very nice at Sandals, and I have nothing against sleaze-wear (in the appropriate venue). There are a million resorts where you can be dressed for dining. But N is a NUDIST resort! I felt perfectly comfortable in my birthday suit. A few people commented and complimented me on my “undress code”. The above observations are factual; the commentary is my personal belief.

WILL WE RETURN? Counting the days till our next visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

From start to finish, We had a great time and when our week was up, my wife said, "I wish I could stay longer." In Negril after 1 week she said, "that was fun, but happy to go."

The nude thing is as you like. A few are naked all the time and for some they wear super sexy silky see through things, to fully dressed. We prefer to dress for meals, but if you want to be naked so be it... For me it took a lot of stress off, because she does not like to wear a bathing suit when she suntans. In Negril that was not so easy and the other nude resorts were not as pretty or inviting as we found at the N resort. A big group the week before had visited and those that had been there were not so happy because of the antics and animation of the large group of people that knew each other from all over the country. Those from the group that remained when we arrived were great, we thought... It is very couple oriented and that was perfect for us.

An unspoiled gem, we love the rustic feel and do not miss the over the top hotel environment that you find other places. This is a great beach for walking. For people looking to get away and have a very private vacation to others who want to mingle and hang out with the group, there's something for everyone the N-Resort.

We will go back soon.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Someone best described this property by saying "not for everyone".

While we were there, most people seemed to enjoy it, but we did not.

Some call this place "rustic", I would call it beaten up, desperately in need of extensive TLC. Everything is old, if God forbid somebody fell asleep smoking, this place would burn down to the ground in minutes. One guest (who was enjoying himself) best coined it when he said it felt like "camping" on the ocean.

A nearby bigger hotel ( Starfish) is closed while undergoing a complete remodelling and the feeling I got was that someone picked up old Pebbles and a bunch of idle Starfish employees (most of whom can't wait to get back there) to try to make a quick buck.

Yes the beach is nice, although not the wavy type that you can play in the waves or even swin in (too shallow unless you want to venture beyond the safety line). Yes the food is very good. Yes the people are very nice. Hence the three stars.

Also, we are the "casual nudist" type, and in that sense we still like a little basic decorum, such as people not walking barefoot in the restaurant and covering their intimate parts while picking up salad at the lunch buffet, if you know what I mean....well there is no such decorum at N and people do whatever they want in this respect, particularly at lunch, and this was a turnoff for us.

In summary, if you like your comfort and are the type that likes to feel pampered on your vacation, DO NOT go there. If you enjoy camping or are a pure nudist who enjoys raw and peaceful nature with more basic comfort standards, you will LOVE this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
fdrsales, Director of Sales at N-Resort All Inclusive For Adults, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We appreciate the feedback of your experience at N Resort. The property is only 12 years old and by hotel standards we are considered a young property.

Refurbishing and Improvements are on-going, as we are right on the ocean.

Prior to the launching of N Resort in 2010, rustic cabanas were built on the beach area for rest and relaxation. Two (2) additional 14 seater Jacuzzis were built on either side of the main pool for hot tub parties etc. for the guests. We built an authentic Jerk Pit on the Beach, as well as a Sundeck on a dock out in the ocean. Day beds were placed on the balconies for relaxation and a Piano Bar was created for late night entertainment.

We are approaching the slow period May & June and all the buildings will be re-varnished and additional improvements will be done.

We apologize for any inconvenience experienced and trust you will return to N Resort in the near future.

Been to N-Resort All Inclusive For Adults? Share your experiences!