“facinating natural wonder” 4 of 5 stars

calgary
4 attraction reviews
“facinating natural wonder”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

this is the brightest of the 3 lagoons like this in the world (so they say) so if you are in jamaica, its a must see. my girlfriend went swimming (i just splashed water from the boat) and she still cant stop talking about what an incredible time she had. with the pitch black surroundings (even the tour boats run without running lights), bath tub warm water, brilliant stars above, and (from the water) the appearance of glowing skin, it was something not seen by us anywhere before. the guide was fairly knowledgeable and our boat only contained 10 tourists or so, so it was a quite individual experience. we got a short wait at the bar for a boat, then a short ride out into the lagoon with a description of how the luminous lagoon works, 10 minutes or so of swim time (if desired), then a short ride around the lagoon with some interesting info about the falmouth area. i would have regretted not seeing it. note- go on an evening following a sunny day for maximum effect (cloudy days = less luminous effect).

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
“Disappointing, to say the least.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Before departing for our honeymoon to Negril, we booked several tours to take during our trip. The one that I was most excited about was to Glistening Waters; I had watched a television show that talked about this phenomenon, and I thought it would be an amazing experience. And it WAS a cool experience, but the execution of the tour left a lot to be desired.

When you arrive at Glistening Waters and pay your admission, you are led to an outdoor bar where you can have a drink while you wait for the next boat. We didn't wait long before the boat pulled up (I later found out why). About 30-40 people or so fit on each boat; you load up and are off. The captain takes the first five minutes or so to explain the phenomenon and how it works (in PAINFULLY simple language, although I will excuse this because there were a lot of children on board), and he then stops in the middle of the water for people to get out and swim. Fortunately, we were seated right by the exit and were the first people off the boat to swim. Once we were in the water and started swimming, we were delighted with how the water lit up around us. However, as more people started to get in the 3-foot-deep water, the muddy bottom was stirred up and you had to move further and further from the boat to get the water to light up. And then, no more than FIVE MINUTES after the first people had gotten off the boat, they told us that swimming was over and we had to come in. FIVE MINUTES! What a shame. I swear there were people still trying to get off the boat and into the water when the captain said we were done. We were SO disappointed!

After swimming, the captain drove around the lagoon some more and explained over and OVER again how and why the water lights up... then explained it again, then again. I started to feel as if I was losing brain cells by the second.

All in all, the attraction took about 20 minutes... with 5 minutes of swimming. After having drove 2.5 hours EACH WAY from Negril to see this attraction, we were disappointed... to say the least.

Canada
8 attraction reviews
“Out of this world”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Swimming in water that lights up with movement - it's something out of this world. It's quite beautiful and definitely worth seeing. Nevertheless, the boat ride was quite long and I really don't know why the tour guide was boasting about development of the nearby peninsula after showing us the birds that lived there.

The floor of the water was very muddy and soft - I suggest you wear water shoes if you want to swim. Furthermore, some people were bitten/stung by something in the waters (possibly by jellyfish) and the water left our skin extremely itchy so keep that in mind before you hop in.

You can arrange to be picked up for $10 USD per person round trip which is likely cheaper than your local hotel taxis.

England
“A must see !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Luminous Lagoon in Jamaica is definately a must see...

We found this was a trip not really talked about in our hotel, however a friend recommended it to us so we made sure we went.
We stayed in the holiday inn sunspree so it was only 10 mins down the road.

We arrived and received a Rum Punch, then got on the boat. One of the tour guides jumped in the waters and to our amazement he was Ilunious ! I would never have believed it had I not saw it with my own eyes.. we all got in the water. it was the most strangest yet amazing things I have ever saw.. even all the fish were illunious..
see my pics which was take at the back of the boat !

Deffinately go !!

Ontario
3 attraction reviews
“A must see.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

This is a wonderful experience. Everyone should go and see it. If you are booking this trip, just be advised that it was cheaper for us to book directly from the resort than to do it through our tour guide or prior to departure. It is about a 45minute drive from Montego Bay. Once you are there, you are greeted with a nice cold drink and put on a boat. We were lucky to have a wonderful guide - Jerry. He was full of information and had a great sense of humour. The boat ride last about 45 minutes. You can see the water glisten as the boat moves. Then you are taken to a spot and are able to swim in the glistening water. This was our favourite part of Jamaica. For those of you who are like me and think that this might be a shopping opportunity, don't bother bringing your money. There are no gift shops around the area.