“Watch out for the "American" menu prices!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 19 restaurants in Falmouth
Cuisines: Caribbean
Rocky Mountains
“Watch out for the "American" menu prices!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

BE CAREFUL! Great location right on the ocean just West of Falmouth. We were a group of 9 and ate outside on the balcony. Good menu with lots of choices of traditional Jamaican dishes. Service was very slow. We waited almost 2 hours to be served our main dishes, but food was good. Then we got the bill....the prices on the bill were much higher than the prices listed on the menu. We consulted the waitress and she said that they had ordered "new" menus to be printed with these "new" prices but they hadn't arrived yet. We asked to speak with the owner. He told us that the waitress should have told us that the prices in the menu were incorrect! We reluctantly agreed to split the difference between the printed menu prices and the "new" prices. The average increase in price per dish was over 30%. I believe they saw a group of Americans walk in the door and came up with these "new" prices! Be careful. We won't ever be going back! We have been going to Jamaica for over 20 years and have never had an experience like this. We love the Jamaican people so it was disappointing to be treated this way.

CoolJeff, Owner at The Cool Spot Bar & Grill, responded to this review, April 2, 2009
I remember this group that dined in our establishment. They were wonderful
guests and seemed to be very understanding when we explained what had occurred.
We were going to waive the additional charge but they suggested that we split
the difference.

I guess they were not pleased with the arrangement to split the difference,
even though they suggested it. We were ready to charge them the price they saw on the menu, but believed that what they had suggested was fair .

Since a lot of our seafood is done to order there may be a small wait time. We
do suggest reservations for large groups so we may prepare for their arrival.

I am also very sad that it was suggested we would deceive our customer's
in such manner. The fact that it has been claimed that we would intentionally
target Americans. Since I am also American.

I take pride in maintaining my prices as economical as possible for tourists
and locals alike. I explained the fact that new menus were being printed. This was an honest mistake by our server who was unaware that the menus had not been updated as previously discussed in our staff meeting.

I hope the guests from the Rocky Mountains would consider dining with us again. We would like to offer them a few drinks on the house.

We are very sorry for the misunderstanding.

Jeff @ the cool spot