“Blissful, great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vreeland
Wellington, New Zealand
“Blissful, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here twice once in December when there was snow on the canal banks and now on a sunny summer day. The rooms are nice and well appointed in a luxurious laid back style, a bit romantic but it goes well with the decor. The rooms could use a little sprucing up to make it fresh. Either no TV or a large flat one please. The breakfast is nice. On our first visit it was served in the restaurant conservatory with nice linen on the table on our second visit it was in the more informal lounge. We preferred the conservatory. Dinner is good and innovative, staying over makes it an ultimate relaxing experience in a nice authentic setting the surroundings don't seem changed in 200 years in a fairy tale way.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We had booked their offer room & breakfast and four-course dinner incl wine and champagne aperitif, and we were very pleased with almost everything.

The location is perfect, a couple of meters from the river, and it was a nice and romantic start to have the glass of champagne in one if the couches on the river bank. The appetisers were artistically presented and whetted the appetite as they should. The four dinner courses were all excellent, but the pannacotta dessert is worth a special mention: it was absolutely delicious, and you should know that I don't have a sweet tooth and normally don't appreciate desserts much. The only little drawback was that the red wine was served too warm. The very nice waitress presented the food and wines in a knowledgeable way, and could give information about the grapes, but when I asked about the years and producers she had to look at the labels.

The room was very spacious and the bed comfy. Some details could do with a little updating, but everything worked fine. When the neighbours climbed the stairs and entered their room above us at 2.30 am it sounded as though someone was actually in our room.

Breakfast was excellent.

The owners were really friendly and the whole atmosphere felt positive and relaxing. We shall go back!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My grandfather proposed to my grandmother at this hotel in 1926, and so it was with some excitement that I booked a room for two nights to see how well it has kept up. Its new owners, Wilco and Caroline Berends are doing a great job of keeping the spirit of this 17th century coach house alive. The food is beyond scrumptious, served by a knowledgeable, service minded and extremely friendly staff.
The location is superb; in the heart of the picturesque village of Vreeland, with the dreamy river Vecht floating by right outside. In the summer the river is populated by all manner of pleasure craft, still paying their bridge dues by putting a coin in the wooden clog that is dangled out on a fishing rod by the Bridge Guard.
I stayed in the junior suite, with a view of the Vecht and the cobbled village street. While the decor is slightly dated, it is clean and tidy, with an enormous bubble bath fit for a whole family.
My only tiny grumble is that the noise of moving tables in the restaurant and guests walking in the corridor carries well into the room, but then the building is very old and it is to be expected.
I was delighted by my stay, by the warm welcome, and the best soufflé I've tasted in years.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

The hotel is in a beautiful, "typically Dutch" area with lots of canals, irrigated fields, windmills etc. Rooms are functional and cosy - nothing extravagant, but fully serves the purpose. The main advantage is the food though. All the dishes were thoroughly thought through, greatly designed, beautifully served, and - above all - very very tasty. Combine it with a selection of pretty good wines and you have a magnificent dinner. Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Leicester, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We booked for two nights as the highlight of our stay of 14 nights in the Netherlands and thought that asking for a room overlooking the river would be a real bonus so asked for a Junior Suite with river view and our booking was confirmed. When we arrived there was a large party taking place outside with no room to park in the car park (we were told to find a space somewhere in an adjoining street) and we then found ourselves shown to a nice room overlooking the car park on one side and a small housing estate on the other. When we complained, we were told that no rooms were guaranteed and all other rooms were full. We were told that we might be able to move rooms the following day but moving luggage half way through a two day stay did not appeal.
Evening meals were really good and service was excellent but it took from 8 p.m. to 11.40 p.m. to serve dinner and other guests were complaining about the length of time that it took the kitchen to get meals out. Breakfast was served at the table but was nothing out of the ordinary and a total bill of over 900 euros for our stay left us seriously deflated!

Room Tip: Don't bother - on their own admission, the hotel give no guarantees that you'll get any part...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I was there in a bussiness trip to Hilversum, and I wasn't expecting this kind of hotel as it was around 20 km away from the city, but once I went into the hotel reception I knew this one was "different" from the business hotels I'm used to stay.
To begin with, this beatiful hotel is located in a nice small village (Vreeland) and it lies by the side of the canal just a few meters from a moving wooden bridge that connects with the center of the village. The staff is attentive, friendly and eager to help.
My room was in the first floor with lots of natural light and with a view over the canal and the wooden bridge. It was a big room with a big bathroom and jacuzzi. The bed was confortable and the ceiling was made of wooden beams very well maintained. All the furniture was choosen to provide a "old time" feeling, althought I could also use my computer to connect to the internet using a complimentary free wifi connection.
Breakfast was not included in the room price, so I had to pay 20 euros daily for the breakfast, but it was worthwhile.
The restaurant is a must. I'm very skeptic about restaurants (after many years traveling around) but this was a rewarding surprise. I had halibut fish for the first dish and this was just unforgettable. And for the dessert, the waiter recommend me a souffle mit icecream (chef specialty), and this was D E L I C I O U S.
Should I come to Hilversum again I will stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Request a rrom with a view over the canal bridge.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Geneve
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We only went to the Restaurant. Excellent food, on a way to a Michelin star. Nice area, well decorated restaurant.

I recommend the pigeon - a difficult meat to prepare - it was perfectly cooked and tasty.

The service was OK maybe to improve if the restaurant wants a star!

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandton Restaurant Hotel de Nederlanden? Share your experiences!