“Good Hotel but............” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Isla Canela Hotel

You added Iberostar Isla Canela Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Isla Canela Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida de la Mojarra s/n | Punta del Moral, 21409 Ayamonte, Isla Canela, Spain   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isla Canela
GreenLeadersSilver level
Aberdeen Scotaland
“Good Hotel but............”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Having been at the hotel the same time as Mark B I can only agree with every comment he made.

However, it will come as a great surprise to Mark and his lovely wife Rhona when they learn that on the day they left, the hotel was visited by "the Area Manager"

The poolside freebies stopped, the free drinks on entering the dining room stopped, the standard of the food at dinner although remaining high was not of the same standard it had been the first week of our holiday, the girl entertainers were all given the Wednesday off and we were left with the feeling that the Questionaires that we completed giving 5 stars for everything had been a marketing ploy for this VIP. It left us feeling that we had been used!!!!

It would not stop us recommending this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: A room at the back gets the sun in late afternoon and early evening. Watch out for the mossies!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel has a very nice Moorish design, with a beautiful pool and beach. It’s not close to any known tourist attraction, but if you came by car or rent a car you could easily reach the beautiful region of Algarve, Portugal (I recommend Cabo Sao Vicente, Praia Dona Ana in Lagos, Albufeira) and Seville (Cathedral and Alcazar Palace must see).
Rooms are good, but not great and same is the food. It tends to be a little bit crowded at dinner time and also a little bit noisy because there are a lot of kids, but you’ll live. If not, do take a relaxing massage inside the hotel; it’s excellent!

Room Tip: Take a room with sea view
Whitby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed for a week in September half board glad we didn't upgrade to full board because the amount and variety of food at dinner and breakfast was overwhelming, lunch would have been pointless.The room was immaculate but the view spoiled by the adjoining properties stagnant pool (the hotel itself has no control over this and the leaseholder obviously has bigger problems to contend with given the number of vacant new built apartments in isla canela) This was our fourth visit to Isla Canela/Ayamonte and easily the best hotel (previously stopped in Riu and Barceló) Don't understand some of the negative comments on here, couldn't see any problems with food hygiene even though the dining room does get busy .Top tip go down early for meals then you have the pick of the tables and the first choice of everything on the buffet. Simple really.
Agree with the comment about trousers in the dining room, the rule against shorts seemed to be ignored.As far as the entertainment is concerned , if we wanted to see the Kings of Leon or the Stones we would have gone to the o2 arena, the acts were the usual med hotel standard, a better evening can be had by going out of the Iberostar and either drinking in a bar at Punta Moral a short walk away, or getting a bus car or taxi into Ayamonte and taking in the atmosphere at the Plaza de Laguna. The Iberostars pool was very good and unusually clean for a Spanish resort hotel. The waiters came around regularly with freebies, nothing elaborate but a nice touch all the same. Internet charges are on the high side but why waste time on holiday by going online? Overall definitely 4 star and having tried the rest we doubt you can get a better deal in Isla Canela.

Room Tip: The Sea view rooms on the far right hand side of the hotel (ie nearest the apartments) are spoiled b...
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is our 2nd stay at the Iberostar Isla Canela - we stayed here last June, and enjoyed it so much that we returned.

Please note that we went away as a family of 4 - my partner and I, a 3 year old and 18 month old. We stayed at the Iberostar from 5th September for a week, on an all inclusive basis. In addition, whilst we are British we do speak Spanish. Therefore, this review is based taking these points in to account.

Since 2012 the hotel has had refurbishment and we noticed the difference - especially in the rooms. Our room was lovely a spacious, even with the sofa bed open, and a cot. Yes, the balcony wasn't particularly big, or got a lot of sun, but we didn't use the balcony a lot, so this suited us perfectly. House-keeping were very helpful, and would try to mke-up our room to fit in with when our children had naps - which was very considerate. The restaurant was excellent. Food was always good, warm, and had an excellent variety for both myself and partner and our 2 children (one of whom doesn't have too many teeth - but there was always something we could cut up for him). A lot of variety - and surprisingly enough my favourite was when there were 2 chocolate fountains, one in milk and one white - oh yes!!! The restaurant staff were brilliant - and were always coming to speak to us and engage with our children.

The pool and poolside bar were lovely. The children's pool was ideal for us - and once again we found the staff so chatty and pleasant - special mention to Jarek, a lovely guy!

The animacion (animation) team are incredible. They do a truly amazing job - lots and lots to do if you want to and if you don't, then that's fine too. Salsa dancing, step class, spinning class, cocktail making, beach volley ball, aqua fitness, water polo, table tennis, pool side games...and that's just for the adults!!! There's an enormous timetable of activities that adults and children alike can do - and this team work tirelessly to try and do it all. Including a mini-disco in the evening and some shows. As our little ones were generally shattered by then, we didn't see the evening show with the exception of 1. We let us kids stay up to watch the Lion King show which the animacion team did. They acted out the story to clips and songs from the disney film and whilst some might say it was amateur and boring, our kids loved it - and considering everything else they do - top marks to them!

We found staff on reception to be helpful and friendly. Although one small note - we did find that during busy times there was a bit of a wait at reception. It might be useful to have someone else to assist on reception during busy times.

We had previously been to Ayamonte which is a nice morning out, but wanted to go to Seville this year. With 2 children we didn't think that the coach option was economical to us - so instead we hired a car. We did this all through reception - which was excellent - and car hire starts at €40 per day. In addition, you can hire children's car seats for €5 a day. Given that some places charge €17 for day trips to Seville, we thought this car hire charge was quite reasonable. We could also please ourself where we went and when we returned. The car hire lady came to our hotel just before 9am, and we were on the road by 9.20am. We returned back to the hotel at half past midnight, and simply left the key with reception. That's how easy it was.

My partner used the gym and once again, the equipment had been updated since our previous stay. He always uses hotel gyms and couldn't think of many other hotel gyms that had such a good selection of dumbbells!

Overall, we had an excellent holiday and time away. Yes, I fully appreciate that other people had queries, and problems - but from our point of view it was a lovely time away. Yes, there are wasps round the drinks dispenser, and yes, depending on the drink you have there may be a charge. But for the all inclusive option, there was ample included drinks wise for us, and snacks both mid-morning and afternoon - although they may want to consider some kind of covering when they put out the chocolate spread in the afternoons!

Would we recommend this hotel to friends - absolutely!!! Would we return to this hotel - without a doubt!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 3rd off September for one week food excellent staff very friendly lovely room very comfy bed will go back only issue was when it came to drinks the Spanish were served international brands but when we asked for them we were told we had to pay for them we could only have the local brands we did not think was fair apart from that it was great

• Stayed September 2013
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have just returned having one week holiday, All Inclusive.
There are lots of positive notes to report:-
The newly refurb hotel has excellent rooms, very clean. The Food was excellent and plenty of choice. Good selection of all inclusive drinks. Although we are not big cocktail drinkers, Pre mixed are not to our liking. It's lovely to watch bar staff mix your own cocktail. As a couple, with no children, we would like a small bar in reception particulalry for pre dinner drinks. The beach bar wasn't the right place to drink when you had made an effort to dress for dinner. Also the childrens entertainment close to the pool bar area was a little off putting for couples early evening. The main entertianment room would be better. On a dis appointment note to the hotel, we choose a four star that mentioned in the brouchures and in the main hotel area that Long trousers must be worn for dinner. This hotel policy was not upheld at all. My husband and I made an effort to dress for dinner each night and did feel over dressed when other guests came in from the pool area in there beachwear worn that day. I Theres were just a few niggles that the hotel could easliy put right and bring it up to a higher 4* Hotel.

We did a trip to Saville, well worth the money and you must do the horse & carriage trip, It was better than using the open bus tour. We had a fab day with lots of happy memories.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have just returned from 2 weeks at the Iberostar where I stayed with my wife on an all inclusive package. We booked the hotel on the strength of some good reviews and a previous good experience at an Iberostar. There were some good points and a few bad points during our stay frustratingly many of the bad points could of been rectified by a more attentive hotel management.

On arrival the check in was fairly efficient, the first niggle was charges for a safe deposit box which I have found to be free in most good quality hotels. Petty deposits for pool towels and hotel room card seemed to cheap and unnecessary.

Internet charges were expensive apart from a free 30 min daily allowance that was slow and almost unusable.

The room itself was excellent large spacious and well appointed and clean. It did however have a minuscule balcony that got no sun what so ever. I inquired at reception if I could have a room change, the receptionist was unhelpful and quite frankly didn't seem interested. To be fair she was consistently unhelpful all the holiday to the point that my wife and I avoided her whenever we could.

During our stay the room housekeeping were unobtrusive and did their job well and generally the room was quiet during the nighttime with no issues with noisy guests.

The food choice on the whole was reasonable and most days there was a reasonable choice and fairly varied. However often it was not kept hot enough and on one or two occasions my wife resorted to microwaving the food to heat it up. Whilst the hotel has been refurbished keeping food hot has not been a successful part of the upgrade.

****A serious compliant with the food preparation was the constant use of the same spatulas to handle raw and cooked poultry. This is a big no no and it is only a matter of time before the hotel has a food poisoning outbreak. My wife watched one of the female cooks pick up and place chicken on to the hotplate and then serve cooked chicken with the same implements***

Food hygiene is very important and I observed one of the catering staff using the rest room and not hand washing when leaving. This reinforces my concerns about food hygiene at the hotel.

The pool was large and well looked after if a little crammed with beds pushed together. The pool area and beds were often being cleaned and hosed down up to 11.00am which is far too late and inconvenienced those of us trying to relax.Again a lack of management organisation to get the jobs done before guests were using the facility.

It is a family resort and if I had known there were to be so many children there I would chosen elsewhere as it clearly influenced the hotel style out and animation. That's my fault not the hotels and it is an observation.The animation was moderate at best and I am sorry to say failed to entertain me or my wife, as for the Michael Jackson Tribute act it must of been the worst thing I have seen in years..The irony of a MJ lookalike encouraging young kids on the stage with him was lost on many!

The hotel sadly lacked an adults bar which could be enjoyed by those wanting a quiet drink and a little more sophisticated surroundings.

The pool bar did its job well although it was infested by wasps which enjoyed swarming around the soft drinks dispensers. Iberostar is it too difficult to manage your wasp problem? I am amazed no one was stung A good example of attention to detail.

The public toilets in the hotel were not well maintained and on my last day were flooded.

In highlighting a number of minor points, I want to highlight how attentive management and attention to detail could turn a good holiday into a great one. This Iberostar was a poor relation to the one I have previously visited and I consider the management have to take the blame for that.

The hotel is predominantly attended by Spaniards, I have no issue with that whatsoever, to me that added to the charm of the holiday. The resort area is very Spanish and that's great as trips to Ayemonte and Seville allowed us to sample true Spanish culture. Communication with staff is limited if Spanish is not spoken, which limited my ability to raise any issues at the time. Contact from the hotel staff was limited to hello good bye and thank you.

Overall the hotel fell short of my expectations which I found a little disappointing. It wasn't bad just not as good as it should/could of been. I can understand people with young children getting more from the hotel and that's fine.

I will chalk this one down to experience and move on!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Isla Canela Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

As to us the vision of our clients is the key to complete guest-satisfaction, we are very grateful for the time and effort you spent writing this review on your recent stay at our IBEROSTAR Isla Canela hotel being fully aware that this is the best way to achieve superiority and excellence in our daily services.

We read your comment on our gastronomy offer and food manipulation with our utmost attention and would like to point out that in our show cooking stand the food manipulation is minimal and completely in front of our guests; the food is held with a clamp (previously disinfected) unit by unit and served cooked on the plate. Furthermore our hotel is audited monthly by external auditing companies on food safety and manipulation.

Moreover, we apologize for the inconveniences due to the cleaning of our pool areas, however we would like to point out that the cleaning of our indoor and outdoor installations is a continued process throughout the day, the cleaning of the pool area is usually done before 10.00 it may have happened that on an exceptional day it may have taken longer.

We also took good note of your comment related to the presence of wasps in our pool bar area, and are glad to inform you that a complete disinfestation has been made to reduce their presence.

Further, our entire reception staff is fluent in English and our overall staff has a basic knowledge of the language, we lament not having been informed about your complaints during your stay because we would have been able to intervene immediately for you to fully enjoy your holidays among us.

On the other hand we are glad to hear that you were satisfied with the room we accommodated you in and we would like to thank you for your highlight on the cleanliness of our hotel and our housekeeping staff’s work, we will definitely congratulate them all on your behalf for their contribution to your wellbeing whilst staying among us.

Once again, many thanks for your constructive critics that we will take into consideration to enhance our guests’ experiences among us.

Kindest Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Isla Canela

Been to Iberostar Isla Canela Hotel? Share your experiences!