“Top class Castle” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Durrow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Durrow
Castle Durrow
You added Castle Durrow to your Saves list
Demesne, Durrow, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durrow
sligo
“Top class Castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed for one night at castle durrow we enjoyed our time here, room was big and comfortable, food in the resturant was excellent! Gardens are well maintained and a delight to walk. Staff are very friendly and helpful, overall we had a wonderful experience in this delightful hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Excellent location, gardens, rooms, food and service. Every part of the hotel is very tastefully decorated with numerous antiques and pieces of art. The attention to detail is everywhere, a real delight to the eye. There is a real sense of royality and class. The food was superb and the service was second to none. I stayed in one of the converted stable rooms, where the same tasteful decoration continued. It was very reasonably priced at 45 euros for a single person and at the same time having the whole experience of the Castle and the gardens. I would highly recommend this hotel. I stayed in the Castle Arms the night before and had an awful experience with high noise problems and the single price was 60 euros, totally over priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here recently with my family as part of a wedding party. Overall, I found it excellent. The family room that we stayed in was superb: the large main room was the bedroom in which my wife and I slept and it was very comfortably appointed, with a huge four-poster bed and pleasant furnishings (including a nice mix of contemperary and (faux?) period pieces); an excellent "kids room" which had a bunk-bed, a single bed and a large cot (that my five-year old son was very happy to sleep in); and a commodious bathroom that had seperate access doors for the adults and the kids.

The rest of the hotel was lovely and walking around was a joy, particularly the main stairs which are punctuated by a landing on which is a truly magnificent stain glass window (and which looks imperious from the outside as well) and the bar area and the library beyond it.

We returned from the wedding at 3:30pm or so, and there was a drinks reception in the room just beyond the reception hallway, which also led out to the stunning back gardens beyond. I took the time to walk around these and the adjacent walled garden, and would recommend them.

The wedding reception area was separate from the main house and there was a pleasant walk to this area along outside cloister corridors. This function room was very adequate, well decorated and served splendidly for the festivities that followed.

Breakfast the next day was delicious and we felt under no pressure to leave.

One minor gripe: the food at the wedding reception was good, but not great. In particular, the soup was bland and the medium-rare steak that I ordered was far too well done for my liking. I would have to say, however, that these were minor issues and overall I would recommend it for a wedding and, indeed, I would love to take a mid-week break with my wife and go down for a romantic night or two away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
clones
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Best wedding venue, best food I've ever had at a wedding, charming rooms, friendly staff and drink sensibly priced. Could not say that about any other hotel I've ever stayed at!!
I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We enjoyed two days at castle Durrow for a wedding, and we got a super welcome from Louise when we arrived the day before !!

We had a beautiful room overlooking the gardens which are stunning ,only drawback was the lack of shelf space around the sink, easy to fix I'm sure ...

Castle Durrow has beautiful grounds and a trail not to be missed one can walk for hours and its all so interesting .

Dinner that night was very good as was breakfast

The wedding went so well , food ,room and staff all contributed to a very enjoyable day !!!

We would return for a romantic weekend beautiful spot !!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to have good views and its very quiet at night
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Helpful and friendly staff along with great food made our castle stay very special. Spent a weekend there and enjoyed browsing local antique shops and taking country walks. An iydllic setting, four-poster bed and my breakfast served in bed two mornings in a row - what more could one girl want?

Room Tip: Although all of the rooms are beautiful, I would say if you can to splash out and go for one of the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Clare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I recently stayed here for 2 nights while attending a wedding, and I cant say enough good things about the hotel. The staff are excellent, and incredibly friendly and accomodating. The food was wonderful, and as I suffer from food allergies the wait staff were most helpful in telling me what was suitable for me, and going the extra mile to help. Our room (over the Stables) was very spacious and clean, with a wonderful view over the manicured gardens. We had such a great time, and I cant wait for an excuse to go back!

Room Tip: We found the bedroom to be very warm, so make sure and adjust the thermostat.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Castle Durrow? Share your experiences!