“Beautifully situated cabanas on the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hooked On Panama Fishing Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiriqui Province
Hooked On Panama Fishing Lodge
You added Hooked On Panama Fishing Lodge to your Saves list
17Km South of Puerto Armuelles, Panama   |
Edmonds, Washington
“Beautifully situated cabanas on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

We came upon Hooked on Panama on a road trip from David to the Puerto Armuelles Peninsula and was pleasantly surprised by the beauty and thought that went into designing this "boutique" resort. They take you fishing and provide nice "group" meals, which typically isn't my thing, but well done here. Dan is one of the owners and was great in respecting our adventuresome side and helped to point us in a couple of directions, which we really appreciated! We loved each place we stopped, and Hooked on Panama was really a jewel. Nice job Dan! Thanks so much!

~Teena & Eric

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
tex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We went to "Hooked..." for one goal--fishing. We are die-hard fishermen who have a limited schedule and who care about fishing first, and amenities second. Like most of you, we don't have a lot of time to sneak away for our favorite pastime.

We have fished in MANY remote settings, and know what to expect from remote lodges (clean, simple rooms, decent food, no nightlife). That being said, the lodge, rooms, and service were clean and great--true fishing camp style. New, clean A/C rooms and well-manicured grounds. No complaints about the food or accommodations. All in all, perfect fishing camp style.

We traveled a long way for this trip and had been excited for months. When we arrived, we asked the manager what he had experienced in his recent fishing trips. His response was a nightmare to every fisherman--"we haven't been out in several weeks, but we've talked to some guys...." I don't expect to catch fish every time I go out. It is called fishing, and not catching, for a reason. However, as we all know, scouting is key.

If you're a fisherman, you know what comes next. We ran nearly 100 miles the first day just looking for clean water, which we never located. We didn't get skunked, but the fish we caught could've been caught in our backyard.

I personally think the owners are very nice; good people. I was just disappointed in the lack of scouting/prep for our trip. If I were to go back to Panama (which I will), I'd probably find another place to fish.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

My husband and I took a few days to get away from the cool and misty mountains in Volcan and happened upon Hooked On Panama. What a treat! Our cabin was clean, modern and comfortable with a small front porch looking out to the sea, past the most beautiful orange blossomed colossal trees. The pool was just what we needed...a perfect size for laps or plain lolling about. The main lodge had computer access, games, long tables, comfy chairs and lots of space. A huge veranda made a great place for happy hour with sushi and other tasty nibbles It was a great time to meet those who came in from a day of deep-sea fishing and others who were there to enjoy the amenities. The evening meal was a real treat...fresh fish (or delicious bean croquettes...we're vegetarian) with the best veggies, salads and sides we had in our four months in Panama.
The hosts and staff couldn't have been kinder or more helpful. We took out kayaks the next morning and hugged the magnificent coast. The sand is black here and the beaches are not really recommended for swimming but the views from the sea and uphill land hikes in the vicinity made for beautiful views. The drive down the peninsula looks like a pastoral heaven. Horses graze, rare birds are overhead, and stupendous foliage gleams. But the real gem is Hooked On Panama. I hope we'll be lucky enough to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Kewadin, Mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

My husband and I were spending the month in Panama and went in search of deep sea fishing. We were eventually given directions to Hooked on Panama and off we went. The drive there was part of the fun and when we arrived we could not believe the resort. It is beautifully landscaped with a very nice fresh water pool and cabins that can sleep 4. There is a nice black sand beach to walk and the ocean water was warm. The main house is welcoming, the food very reasonably priced and tasty and a well stocked bar. But the main focus of course is the fishing. We chartered a half day and saw a full day's worth of action: two sailfish, 2 mahi mahi and a huge red snapper plus other fish that were not landed. Of course that type of action can't be guarenteed but the other boats were doing well too. The staff there was great; pleasant, friendly, helpful, etc. We had Capt. Oliver and First Mate Chris on the boat and could not have asked for better. We spent two nights total even though we only fished one morning because the setting was so nice. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Grande Prairie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

First of all I would like to say that the "Hooked on Panama" resort is in a beautiful setting & it was built with care! We all know that alone does not qualify it as a great place to visit. It is the people. My wife & I were on an adventure looking for a place to hang out. I had searched Google Earth & the Punta Burica looked like a nice slice of paradise. We had a rental car & were driving west on the pennisula with no plan but needed to find a place to stay that night. We discovered there is very little out there & even less signage, advertising, etc. to direct people. We passed "Hooked on Panama" on our way west but it was early in the day & we wanted to see the area so we drove by. It looked like a very nice place from the road. After driving around for most of the day we headed back to "Hooked on Panama". When we arrived at the driveway there was a sign on the driveway that said closed for the day. We were tired & not looking forward to driving back to David to stay. I walked down the driveway to ask some questions. As it turned out the crew had been working very long hours for weeks & decided to take a day off to chill since they were between bookings. Dan Peavy, one of the owners was the 1st person I met. He chuckled when I told him our story, smiled & said I would never turn a guy down who ended up at his place. Get your stuff & join us he said. It was like hitting the jackpot, beautiful place, awesome food, & very cool people! We ended up staying for 4 days. We went fishing of course & had a great 1/2 day trip. Saw 4 sails, landed 2 & we caught a pile of Dorada. Dan gave us directions to some nice beaches to check out on day trips.
Some of the other people who made the place speacial were:
Chris - mate on our fishing trip, cook, bartender, handyman, gardener, 1st class dude!
Kelly - cook, booking manager, bartender, very sweet gal!
Whether you are into fishing or not go to this place! There is something to do for everyone.
If you don't you will have missed something special!
Bart Crawley - email me at bart_crawley@kaltire.com if you have questions

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

Excellent lodge and hosts on the beach. A they have boats and it is a great pace to go fishing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hooked On Panama Fishing Lodge? Share your experiences!