“Beware of Dog. He bites.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ensuenos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Ensuenos
You added Ensuenos to your Saves list
Nicaragua   |
Brookline, Massachusetts
“Beware of Dog. He bites.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I were exploring Little Corn and came upon Ensuenos. We had heard about it as a remote place at the far end of the beach. What we had not heard, is that it is a dangerous place for anyone who is unlucky enough to get BITTEN by their german shepard! That's right. I was bitten in the leg, 3 punctures and just because we ventured to the signed reception area to ask for directions. Totally unprovoked. Our experience, since my injury which is in its 3rd week of healing is that.....locals including the owners of Ensuenos have confirmed that this is not the first time the dog has bitten. The owner, tho apologetic at first, made a crude sick joke that the dog was foaming at the mouth and died (a sure sign of rabies for those that wonder) after I suggested he post a BEWARE of dog sign or tie the dog up when he wasn't around. If I were you, I'd take your business elsewhere. There are some great, friendly and friendly dog places further down the beach. Good luck if you decide to go here. Travel with a big stick.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I traveled to Nicaragua in late 2012 for a three week vacation which concluded on Little Corn Island. Throughout our travels through the country we stayed a cheap hotels and hostels, which were surprisingly nice - good values all around. For our final week in Nicaragua we wanted to splurge and based on reviews thought Ensuenos must be the best on the island. We made reservations for $70 a night and put down a 50% deposit.

To get to Ensuenos from the main town, where the boat dock is, you need to walk for about a half hour. The final twenty minutes are through the jungle along a muddy path. My first walk up, I was excited by the prospect of being so isolated. However, there are a number of good restaurants in town as well as two dive shops and groceries. Unless you plan on spending all your time at Ensuenos, this walk is a huge pain, especially walking back at night.

I strongly suspect that you will not want to spend all your time there. The property is overgrown, set back from the beach and swarming with mosquitoes. The physical structures are poorly maintained and you get the sense that Ramon ('Ra'), the owner, is in way over his head - no capacity to manage a business. He treats the place as if it were a commune and clearly thinks of himself as something of a spiritual guru.

Our casita was a tremendous disappointment. It was nothing like the pleasant-looking thatched huts shown on the website. Instead it is a hideous concrete monstrosity, clearly dreamed up by Ramon during some bad trip. The wooden doors and windows are covered in a sticky, oily sap which gets all over you every time you open a window or walk out the door. The floor is an undulating mess of rocks that are tremendously uncomfortable to walk in. The place was dirty with mold growing all over the walls. It has a kitchen, which was a major draw for us. However, there is nothing in the kitchen - no salt, sugar, oil or other basics. To get anything you'll need to hike back to town and back. The dishes were all dirty from the previous guest. There were no towels and Ramon was not able to hunt any down for us for a full day. He didn't seem to care or find it strange that a hotel that costs 3-4 times more than most on the island didn't have towels. The shower and toilet are outside, which sounded cool on the website. However, there is only an artsy fartsy, broken-glass-accented wall separating you from the outside world - big holes cut out so anyone can see in. This wouldn't be a problem if it were turned away from where people actually walk. But there I was sitting on the john in the morning and Ramon walked past. There is also no overhang above the toilet - not cool if you get out of bed to use it on a rainy night. There is no place to relax outside. No porch or chairs or hammock. Just a roof with another uncomfortable artsy concrete bench that no one would ever want to sit on.

Ok - so the place is a disaster and terribly overpriced. After one hot, uncomfortable night, we went to speak with Ramon about this and ask for a portion of our deposit back. Rather than show an ounce of customer service, he was aggressive, disrespectful, and accused us of being pampered and expecting luxury. When we said we felt deceived by his website presentation, he said he hasn't updated it in 10 years (something to bear in mind if you peruse it). In the end he refused to return any of our deposit and told us to get the [--] out.

So we did - and found a fantastic little beach hut at Elsa's Place for $15/night. The hut was very very basic and small, but exactly what we wanted. This is one of many similar places on the island - I strongly recommend looking into some of these options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were staying here for the 2nd time (1st time 2011). This time in the larger beachhouse, which can accomodate up to 4 people. It also had private bath (outdoors, which makes it a real jungle-experience) and a small kitchen.
The restaurant serves great food when open, which is not always the case, so ask in the morning (breakfast is served daily). Fixed times for lunch and dinner.
The houses and the cabins are decorated beautifully, but are very rustic. Sleeping in them has a camping feeling to it. You will certainly meet some of the island‘s interesting and exotic fauna.
What‘s best about the place is the lush gardens and the amazing beach-area which has hammocks, a nice treehouse and some hammocks (we brought our own though). There is an amazing reef just in front of the beach to which u can easily swim out (30 meters). U can see Nursesharks, different rays and beautiful coral there.
Another reason for us to come back was that this part of Little Corn still has a remote feel and is away from the evergrowing party crowds, most of the day you’ll have the beach just for yourself with max. 5 people walking by. The downside of this is that it’s a good walk from the village and the dock (ca. 30 min), and even though we ourselves didn’t experience any problems, the general recommendation is to avoid this walk during the dark.
For us, the owner Ramon is an interesting and friendly host. He can also arrange pangas from the dock to Ensuensos (which is particularly nice if you carry a big backpack). $ 5 per person.

I can reccommend staying, if u dont mind the camping-feel to the place and appreciate its natural beauty.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

It was my fourth trip to Little Corn Island end to Ensuenos... what can I say more?
If you want peace, quietness, a perfect beach for yourself and friendly owners, then it's the place to go! I will definitly go back next year. And even if la Isleta is getting more gringos and is a bit more develop than it was when I first set foot here, its still a magical place. I love it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sint-Truiden, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

On my second day I walked over to Ensuenos on the north side of the island. I fell in love with Ensuenos the moment I saw the hotel.
I went straight to the owner, Ramon, and he showed me around and I took a cabana (Mosquito) for 2 nights.
The cabana was suberb: it has a small terrace in the front with a hammock and a table so you can enjoy it in the morning our at night with some candle light. In the cabana you have 2 queen size beds with mosquito nets and also a small kitchen if you would like to cook some dinner on you own (I woudn't do that because they have a great chef, but later more about that).
At the back of the cabana you have a private bathroom with rain shower looking out over the jungle.

Outside in the garden you can find some other cabanas with a beautiful design. They have a shared bathroom, but it is wonderful. The nice garden with 'teletubbie grass' ends up on the beach. The beach really is a place of paradise, it is deserted and almost nobody ever comes there. The hotel has some hammocks on the beach so you can rest or read a book over there. For the rest it is a great place to snorkel(ask your gear at Ramon). There is a nice reef in front of the hotel.
Like i said there is also a great cook in the hotel. Andrea, a very nice italian guy has a nice menu at night with only fresh vegetables, fish or meat. It is really worth the money.
For the dinner you all sit together withthe other guest and the atmosphere there is always nice because you meet people every night.
Breakfast and lucnh are also available on demand.

The location is maybe a little bit deserted , 30 minutes from the village, but you really get rest and calmness ont the other hand. If you ask the penga guy, he will drop you with the boat over there but the walk trough the jungle is worth it as well.

I Would certainly recommend this place for everbody, I ams surprised that there areno more reviews of this hotel. I am coming back for sure.

Room Tip: Cabana Musquito (new name) if you are travelling as couple our with friends.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
asheville, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Quiet and magical. The cabins are simple and artful with beds and mosquito nets. There are gorgeous secluded beaches steps away and great reefs for snorkeling right out the front door. If your willing to hike 30 minutes through the jungle and put up with a few bugs and a bit of dirt, it is well worth it. Truly fantastic secluded island feel. The food was amazing- unique and divinely delicious (made with local fare/site-grown produce- yum!)- and the managers Roy and Ashley were perfect hosts and made us feel comfortable and at home (if home was a white sand beach and a full moon!). We had a great time here and would happily return for a longer trip!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

This place was completely wonderful! The managers, Roy and Ashley, were superbly nice and great to hang out with and the food was the best we had our entire vacation. The beach is incredible and just short swim out takes you to some great reefs for snorkeling.

Our cabin was $30 per night was was really amazing for such a beautiful location. It's definitely not for everyone, though, as it's a 30 minute walk from town, 1/2 of which is along a small trail through the jungle. The bathroom and shower are sort of out in the open and the cabins are (charmingly) primitive... exactly what we were looking for, but not for everyone.

One of the reviews mentioned the bathroom having a dirty floor. Well, the bathroom is outdoors and has a roof but is not fully walled-in. It has a really artistically-done mosiac floor that is meant to drain water through it when it rains. So, if it rains water comes in and it does get a very slightly muddy, which can seem gross until you realize it's just a little mud and not what it's location in a bathroom may imply.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ensuenos? Share your experiences!