“Awesome, Relaxing Stay in a Perfect Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Iguana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Casa Iguana
You added Casa Iguana to your Saves list
East Side, Nicaragua   |
Philadelphia, PA
“Awesome, Relaxing Stay in a Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

When my husband and I decided to go to Little Corn Island, I spent hours trying to decide where to stay like it was the most important decision I would ever have to make in my life. We finally decided to split our time between Casa Iguana and another budget property in town and actually ended up moving over to Casa Iguana a day early because it was just what we were looking for (the first place was completely fine but we just couldn't wait to stay at Casa Iguana after seeing it).

We actually spent our first day on Little Corn walking around checking out all of the places to stay and as soon as we saw Casa Iguana we knew we had made the right decision for us to stay there as a part of our trip (we ended up staying for four nights at Casa Iguana--six on Little Corn total--and could have stayed for many more). I think my husband would literally move to Grand Casita #2 tomorrow if he could. Overall, we could not have loved Little Corn Island more and were very happy with our stay at Casa Iguana.

Location
For us, the location of Casa Iguana was ideal. The casitas are perched up on cliffs overlooking the water and because of the distance between them and the lush foliage on the ground they feel very private. We could not have been happier with where Grand Casita #2 is located. It has an amazing view right on the cliff and yet is still located very close to the lodge (where the restaurant is) and the beach which is a short walk down some stairs. Casa Iguana is only a short walk from town (where there are lots of restaurants) and is on a very beautiful, clean beach with fantastic snorkeling (you can rent snorkeling equipment in town for $5 a day and swim out to the reef where you can see stingrays, barracudas, lots of fish, etc). There are also two other secluded beaches on Casa Iguana's property (you can see the map in the lodge) but they are a little rocky for swimming. The hotel has free beach towels.

We had a very tough time deciding what part of the island to stay on and, after visiting, really liked being closer to town vs at the more northern spots. The beaches are spectacular with fewer rocks at the hotels on the north end (such as Derek's and Yemaya) but it is definitely more of a walk if you want to mix it up and eat at a variety of restaurants during your stay. It just depends on what you are looking for. The whole island is beautiful.

Rooms/Landscaping
The landscaping of Casa Iguana as many reviewers have mentioned is very beautiful and well-maintained; the paths are swept daily which is pretty impressive. The rooms are definitely rustic but, after reading many of the critical reviews here on Trip Advisor, more than exceeded our expectations. They are not luxurious or fancy and some aspects are a little worn but our casita was very clean with a comfortable bed, two nice futons, and lots of space and worked very well for us. We loved the outdoor shower and, because of the amazing breeze, had no issue with not having A/C. Grand Casita #2 has a huge front porch/balcony where we spent most of our time while at the Casita hanging out in the hammocks and reading (it has two really nice hammocks and two chairs). We had power the whole time and electrical outlets in the room. We feel as though it is a great value for the location and view alone. We paid $75 per night and really feel like that was a bargain, especially considering how remote the island is. If you can, we'd recommend paying a little more for the Grand Casita though we think we'd be happy staying in any of the rooms.

The restaurant is a little more expensive than many of the other spots on the island but is not what we would really consider pricey. We ate breakfast there once and lunch there once and both were very good. Breakfast, for example, is $6 where many other places offer breakfast for $3 but part of what you are paying for is definitely the location. There are three good little restaurants on the path into town (Comedor Casona was probably our favorite) very close to Casa Iguana offering those $3 breakfasts (which include a a huge fresh fruit cup and coffee/tea). Casa Iguana does offer unlimited free coffee and tea which is really nice and we also stopped by the lodge throughout the day to buy soda, fresh juice, cookies, and rum cake (you can just give your room number and pay at the end which is great--they do accept credit cards above a certain amount with a fee of 5%). Casa Iguana also has free water for your water bottle, etc. Overall, food on the island is fantastic--we ate at as many of the restaurants as possible--with lots of great seafood. We especially liked Habana Libre for dinner. Casa Iguana did not offer dinner while we were there.

To sum up, we were looking for a relaxing place to stay and unwind on the beach and definitely found that at Casa Iguana. I am extremely happy that I did not listen to the negative reviews and would absolutely return. We loved it. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Casa Iguana is different from many of the other properties because it is located on a cliff overlook...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Don't go here. Place is run down. Moisture in the walls, small cabinas and we never had power during our two night stay. Owners don't show up, and their employees have to deal with angry customers. Location looks nice, but I would go for Little Corn Beach and Bungalows.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I'm glad I waited to write this review after my second night at Casa Iguana. The place grew on me over time, but that might be because I went to happy hour on the second night and was a little less terrified by my sleeping conditions!

First of all, the location itself is ideal. It's located on the "breezy side" of the island and that sure makes a difference! My room was cool and there was always a nice breeze flowing through the porch when I would sit out in the hammock reading a book. I also think being on the breezy side keeps the bugs away. I got eaten alive on Big Corn Island and barely got a bug bite after two nights at Casa Iguana, which is wonderful. The hotel itself is located up on a cliff overlooking the water, and my casita had a beautiful view looking out over the water. There were hooks for two hammocks on the porch and hanging out in the hammock reading while overlooking the water and feeling the cool breeze was the highlight of my time in LCI. That right there made the stay here worth it. I would also like to point out that my cabana only cost me $30/night, so this is a very reasonably priced property. I am going to give a few pieces of constructive criticism about my cabana, but please know that I would stay here again and overall had a positive experience.

The casitas are tiny little cabins that are situated near a shared bathroom. The bathroom had a few stalls and showers. There was never anyone in them when I got there, which was nice. The casitas themselves, though, are desperately in need of an upgrade or just some basic maintenance. I stayed in Cabana 2 which I would not recommend unless they fix the light over the higher bed. The main problem with the room is that there is some kind of electrical problem in the light above the higher bed that makes the light flicker on and off when the light is turned off. You don't notice this until night when you are trying to sleep. You'll have the lights on reading or whatever. Everything is fine. Then you turn OFF the lights to sleep and the light above your head turns into a strobe light that won't stop until a storm or something knocks out the electricity. It happened both nights. I don't know if you've ever tried to sleep with a strobe light flashing in your face, but it's difficult. On the second day, I was studying the light and discovered it happens all day during the day, you just don't notice it until it's completely dark.

You may be wondering, why I slept on the bed under the strobe light when I could have slept in the second bed in that room? Oh, well I did try sleeping over on that bed for awhile. Unfortunately, that bed appears to have an ant problem. I took a nap over there and woke up when big ants were biting my arm. I don't know where the ants were coming from and technically, the room comes with a giant can of bug spray, but I didn't want to spray the bed sheets and then sleep on them so I just moved under the strobe light. I moved my bags over that bed and unfortunately, a few ants got into my luggage and came with me to my next hotel (Casa Canada) over on Big Corn Island.

This place also needs to patch up the mosquito nets. The net over my bed and the ant bed both had holes ripped in them. Several holes. On the second night, I just decided not to bother since I didn't think sleeping with a mosquito net with big holes in it would do much for me. Fortunately I didn't really get bitten, so maybe it's not a big deal, but why even have them if they've got big holes, right?

Finally, it appears they fix holes and leaks in the cabin construction by shoving toilet paper into the cracks. I guess the toilet paper soaks up the water or whatever and then turns brown. It's kind of gross and weird to see brown-stained toilet paper shoved into cracks in the floor. (Look on the right when you come in the door.) I imagine that's probably how the ants get in. I'm sure there's a better way to seal a hole than using toilet paper.

Other than that, this place really did grow on me by the second day. The breakfast at the lodge was the best I'd had in all of Nicaragua. Happy hour was super fun. Lots of people hang out in the main lodge where there's free wifi and coffee. Views are great. The location on the cliff makes this place breezy and cool. Hanging out in the hammock is so relaxing. I also liked that they had shelves of books in the room. My kindle got stolen over on Big Corn Island right before I got to Casa Iguana, and I actually found some interesting books to read right there in my room. What a bonus!

I would also like to let people know that I believe they are reading these reviews and probably taking them seriously because I saw the maintenance guys out repainting the shared bathrooms and some of the cabins. It appears to me that they are in the process of fixing this place up and I appreciate that. I would come back here again and would recommend it to others. I probably wouldn't ask for cabana 2 again, but I'd be willing to try out another cabana if I came back here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

My husband works in Nicaragua so we travel there often, but had never been to the East Coast of the country and wanted to explore. A colleague of his recommend Casa Iguana and we were not disappointed. It takes a journey to get there (tiny 8-seater plane followed by boat ride) but it's absolutely worth it. The island is unspoiled (so far), completely walkable, with undisturbed nature. Casa Iguana is rustic and the traveler photos are accurate - wooden slat bungalows, mosquito nets, etc. but it fits with the location of where you are. We both loved the food at Casa Iguana, especially the breakfast with the coconut french toast and fresh fruit! The casitas are all private with their own balconies looking at the natural beach. A true exotic vacation that allows you to experience a unique part of this beautiful country.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
seattle, wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Let me start by saying, that you don't go to Little Corn Island for the luxurious accommodations. This island is definitely off the beaten path.
Casa Iguana has a great location and excellent views. The views from the lodge are probably among the best on the island. This place could be so much better with a little updating. Our bungalow with a bath cost $95. You can get a better value elsewhere.
I didn't mind the rustic accommodations, but they need to put some of that money back in the rooms. The sheets are threadbare, the screens had holes in them.
My biggest problem with the resort was that the only access to the beach was down a set of stairs. I could see the beach from my porch, it was only a few yards away, but I could not directly access it. They have the entire property fenced off from the beach. All the other places on the island are situated on the beach. When I asked about this, they said it was for security.
I would stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: The quality of the rooms vary.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
North Hampton Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We spent 3 nights in a cabin that was in desperate need of a facelift. However, the grounds are gorgeous and the cool breezes are fantastic. The service and food were great as well. If they put even 50% of the attention to the rooms that they pay to the grounds, this place could really come together. But for the $60 a night, the value stinks. That said, there really aren't a lot of great budget choices on the island so be prepared to spend some loot to have a good experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

The hotel manager, Karen and staff member Abner made our stay here exceptional. The property is hands down the best on the island, and the staff works hard to maintain the property. It was great to see how much hard work the staff puts into maintaining the grounds... and always with a smile on their face! It was nice to wake up every morning to such a happy group of people who made us feel at home. I am surprised at some of the reviews that state they were unhappy with this locations service. This was our second trip to LCI and Casa Iguana and we will be back again soon!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Iguana? Share your experiences!