“"Idyllic" is all it's cracked up to be” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Corn Beach and Bungalow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Little Corn Beach and Bungalow
Cocal Beach, Nicaragua   |
Special Price
15% discount on Paradise!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“"Idyllic" is all it's cracked up to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I cannot possibly lavish enough praise on Little Corn Beach and Bungalow. We have traveled all over the world and have been to many beaches, but I think we've found our favorite place. Montauk Traveler articulated the spirit and mission of LCBB very well; I urge potential visitors make sure they read this review and all the information LCBB itself provides so they fully understand the privileges and responsibilities that come with their visit. LIttle Corn Island is precious and while the influx of tourists can be good for the local economy, they can be very bad for the local ecosystem so it is necessary to respect the rules. The management of LCBB also seems determined to treat its staff well, so those who value non-exploitative travel can feel good about staying here. The food and drinks were delicious - not three Michelin stars, but delicious --and the pina coladas still show up in my dreams. The casitas and grounds were spotless and the staff was among the friendliest and most helpful we've ever encountered (this was true for all the places we stayed in Nicaragua). The water right off the beach was too murky for snorkeling, which was disappointing I don't know if it is different in different seasons or with different weather or if this is chronic. We went snorkeling with Elvis, however, and he provided a fine and safe experience. Yoga with Sara at the lovely Firefly Studio was blissful and her massage might be the best I have ever had. Sara tailored her individual instructions in the yoga class to my physical limitations, but gave others the opportunities to (literally) stretch their practices. Regarding my physical limitations, the Adirondack chairs were comfortable only a short while for me so I really needed either a hammock or a lounge chair. More of both would be great (if possible). That's my one and only suggestion. I couldn't walk around to see the rest of the island, but LCBB is so perfect that I didn't mind. Thank you to everyone who contributed to our spectacular stay. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Many thanks from all of us here at LCBB for your empathetic and kind review. We are dedicated to minimizing our impact environmentally and maximizing our positive impact socially here on this island paradise. Our all Nicaraguan staff is great and we are very proud of them! Please come see us again on Little Corn Island.

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
montauk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We just returned from Little Corn Island and were so happy we stayed at LCB&B. The owners, Scott and Christine couldn't have been more accommodating, the rooms were comfortable and the property is beautifully maintained. Yoga with Sarah at the FireFly studio was a big plus and the food at the Turned Turtle restaurant was delish, and breakfasts are fantastic. Don't expect gourmet, remember this is a tiny island with major challenges, so chocolate mousse may be soupy, and Internet may be spotty, - but it's not their fault - they're batting 1000 with the resources they've got. They're also really "right minded" - brought spaying and neutering to the Island and are great to their appreciative and attentive staff. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Casitas are a little "close" to one another.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for the kind and understanding review. We have been lucky enough to have been the intiators and driving force for the annual free animal clinics since 2008. Good news too . . . our kind guests have donated almost $1,500 towards this years clinic. Even those that don't actually donate contribute as just the fact they stay with us allows us to continue our island programs not limited to the animal clinic but including our ongoing B-ECO-I beach cleanup program, help with the new Reading House and many others. Thank you for mentioning too that while our food is good, we DO NOT CONSIDER ourselves GOURMET by any means! We hope we get to see you again on LCI.
edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had been backpacked all thru Nicaragua and our last 5 days were dedicated to visiting LCI. we made reservations way back in november for little corn island beach bungalows. We were so pleasantly surprised at how quickly we checked in to our room and were soon relaxing on the amazing grounds that are so clean and kept groomed.
We soon met Dave, the new assistant manager, and found how friendly ALL the staff is.
The FOOD is AMAZING! The SERVICE and FRIENDLINESS would make anyone feel so special. I LIKE the way the TIPPING works for the staff otherwise the cooks in the back would never get a cordoba for their hard work nor would the fantastic ground keepers who keep everything so clean.

I FEEL blessed that as a traveller I am permitted and welcomed to this slice of paradise and the people who live on Little Corn Island ALLOW people to come and visit! We have travelled to many remote islands in the world and completely understand how fragile LCI is. Travelling and visiting other countries is a privilage and we should all feel humble when permitted to visit such fragile areas and realize that people live here and we are only VISITORs and should NOT leave a footprint in their backyard. Following the request of LCBB for showering is NOT unheard of or is it inconvienient but is actually common when visiting such great locations. I suggest that if you read anything about LCI you would have understood this would be a factor when visiting such a "tiny" island.

The FOOD is amazing and the 4 course meal is a fantastic idea! The selection of food is huge everything from lobster to chicken to filet mignon and the fact that you get appetizer, salad and dessert with your main meal is perfect! If you don't like the salad or appetizer I am sure you could just say "no thanks", which I did one night as I am not a big fan of cucumbers and didn't want the cucumber salad.

The room we stayed in was perfect! The front deck was great for having our morning coffees (delivered to your door) and for having evening night caps listening to the waves of the ocean. The rooms were cleaned once a day but I noticed they swept our steps couple times a day! The waitresses would even deliver drinks right to your chair no matter where you were on the grounds!

We didn't get to speak too much to Scott and Kristine however the few times I did they were super friendly and so accomidating. Dave ..... What can I say about Dave but what a great guy he is and how friendly he was .... He just started 1 week before we arrived and was so helpful! Thanks much Dave!

We had a great time at LCB&B everyone was so friendly and was our little slice of paradise for the 5 days we were allowed to visit! We will be back again, I just hesitate telling anyone about it as I could only hope it would remain a secret for those who appreciate everything Little Corn Beach & Bungalows offers!

Thank you for having this slice of paradise so people can visit and feel welcome in your home!

Room Tip: Any room....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for your kind comments and your understanding. Maybe with reviews like this and our ongoing attempts to help potential guests know what they are getting in to when they arrive on LCI, we can keep people from being unhappy and keep this little island special. Your feedback about our service, food, etc makes our staff proud and aware of how their diligent and happy efforts make our guests vacations special. Thanks again.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I did not stay at LCBB but I ate at their restaurant, the Turned Turtle many times. The food at the restaurant is amazing, especially their breakfast, I highly recommend their breakfast skillet. The service was also top notch. If you are looking for great meal, you can't go wrong with the Turned Turtle.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Hi Preston, thanks for the "great" review about our food and service! Our "skillet breakfast" sale have taken a noticable hit since you left the island :). We hope to see you back someday. Safe travels.
Columbus, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just returned from our stay LCIB&B. I have traveled for many years for both business and pleasure within the US, Europe, Central America and the Caribbean. I have stayed at everything from Super 8's to 5 star hotels. I have never felt the need to write a review of any place until now. If you are adventurous enough to make the trip to LCI then do yourself a favor and stay @ LCIB&B. Make no mistake this is not the Ritz-Carlton but no place do Scott and Cristine tell you it is. We told Scott his website undersold his establishment but he told us that was intentional, I think he would rather you didn't come than come and be disappointed. This is comfortable clean cabins (the best on the island), great food and the most attentive service I have received anywhere including the Ritz-Carlton. If you don't agree with Scott's tipping policy then stay someplace else. It is his business and he must be doing something right. He has the best staff on LCI. You will find an attention to detail that no other place offers. There are supply problems over which they have little control (next time we will send down a case of Sauvignon Blanc). If you are looking for a great wine list then maybe an island off Nicaragua is not your cup of tea or glass of wine. Go relax and have a great time. We did.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for all you and your group do in Puerta Cabeza (these guys are doctors and volunteer their time in this town with great need every year). Your good work in Nicaragua inspires us and our Nicaraguan employees to try to do even more here on LCI for the people and the island.

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here and hope to see you next year for a well deserved break.
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I do not need a response to my review. It is merely *my* impression of this property. Obviously, I have a different feeling than most on Trip Advisor, but I am entitled to that. Please do not do a point by point analysis of what I write.

The staff is SUPERB. I truly wish there was a way to tip the servers separately from the rest of the staff. In the end you have to tip one amount and it gets split between all of the staff, I just worry they do not receive enough for all that they do.

This is not something I want to worry about on vacation.

You are staying on a TEENY island. This you will be aware of because you just took a plane and then a small panga to reach the property. One problem, you will be constantly reminded of the "issues" that being on a remote island brings and how they affect you. Every time you walk into your bathroom you will read the posted information that states how the water supply is EXTREMELY limited and if it is compromised or wasted LCI will be "DEVASTATED." The first time I took a shower I was guilted into taking one as directed and turned on the water for a short time, then soaped up and turned the water on again quickly moving around. I could only think of the poor island and how using too much water could mean disaster!

This is not something I want to worry about on vacation.

They provide a small lock box in the room for your passport or other small items. In the box is a note that says that if you lose the key, you will be charged $35 (it might be more, can't remember) for the cost of buying a new lock box and transporting it back from Managua.

This is not something I want to worry about on vacation.

I went in January and the winds were VERY strong on that side of the island. It wasn't a paradise to me because you could barely sit/lay out without being adversely affected by the constant strong wind. It was NOT relaxing.

I did not like the way the restaurant serves dinner. It is four courses, no a la carte items. This didn't work most nights because I simply was not that hungry. Most of the food was very good, however and it is great to have a restaurant on site.

Also, I am not a fan of this property's cancellation policy. I haven't experienced one like it in Central America. It is not friendly or sympathetic at all.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
noplansnoreserve, Manager at Little Corn Beach and Bungalow, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
“Sound and Visionary (?)” asked us not to respond, but we feel future guests have a right to know the . . . .

This guest appears to have had no issues with our service, cleanliness, hospitality, accommodation, food quality, grounds, staff or management. Yet because we care, we warrant an average evaluation?

Come on . . . we ARE an ECO FRIENDLY RESORT and clearly state so on our website!

While this guest may not care about her impact on the environments she visits, WE DO CARE about our aggregate impact on this little island and the people who live here and visit it.

Yes, there is a finite supply of fresh water under our little island. If it is exhausted partially by tourists who don't want to “worry” about how their behavior impacts others and one day there is no more fresh water on the island there will be 1000+ Nicaraguan men, women and especially children that will be “devastated”! Unlike the average tourist, “sound and visionary” included, they do not have the means to just go somewhere else!

It is possible that “Sound and Visionary (?)” might consider only traveling to locales and hotels that do not “worry”and care as much as we do at LCBB about their impact on their surroundings.

Little Corn Island is a small, remote, environmentally delicate location and this may have been to much for this guest to want to deal with. The “sign” in the room is merely 8 ½” by 11” laminated sheet informing of the impact that having no more fresh water on the island will have on the community and SUGGESTING ways to save water SHOULD OUR GUEST CHOOSE TO CARE.

Each email that she received from us urged in part, “As a deposit for 1/2 the cabin is required to confirm, PLEASE read our CANCEL/REFUND policies (THEY ARE PRETTY STRICT) at www.littlecornbb.com. . . .”

And . . . “before confirming your reservation please read our "TROPICAL ISLAND DISCLAIMER" on our "faqs" page (YOU WILL BE FACED WITH LESS SUPRISES WHEN YOU REACH LCI IF YOU READ THE WHOLE FAQS PAGE) and we CANNOT URGE OUR guests STRONGLY ENOUGH TO procure TRIP INSURANCE before departing for Nicaragua.”

Had she checked out our “FAQS” page she would have seen our thoughts on tipping (maybe the way we do it works, as the “superb” comment about our service indicates.) All of our staff including our waitresses are very happy and are compensated extremely well. Guests can tip as they choose.

Our FAQs page also give information on the weather which surprisingly we have no control over, our cancellation policies, which are modeled after many other remote Nicaraguan resorts and hotels and also our stance on “trip insurance”.

Our website also features a menu. We offer a starter, soup or salad, dinner with veggies and dessert it is all included with these complete meals starting at only $9. Diners can skip any part of the meal they wish. There is also a large map above our bar which indicate other restaurants around the island for those that would prefer to dine elsewhere.

Our lock boxes do have a notice inside that if a key is lost, that because there are no lock smiths on the island and a new box has to be ordered from Managua there is a $25 charge and potentially a 3 to 4 week shipping delay (not “$35 . . . or more”).

We are sorry this guest had not become more informed so maybe she could have avoided feeling “guilted” and “not relaxed” in a place that could have been memorable for the right reasons but ended up being “not exactly her cup of tea”.

As always, we urge everyone considering a trip to this little paradise to peruse our complete website so there will be no surprises for you. Safe travels to all!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Must start trip at Managua airport in a one engine plane,max. ten people and see the Nicaraguan countryside and rain forest from 9,000 feet, exciting and beautiful. Arrive in Big Corn Island, take taxi to harbor and take open boat to Little Corn; people at the harbor and boat are impolite, rude and typically Caribian; half an hour, some what rough ride ( sit int the middle of the open boat
which takes fifty people, the middle bench appears the most dry). Now you arrive on Little Corn Island (lci) and are back to friendly Nicaragua where people are friendly and adorable; there are no cars or any motor driven vehicles on lci and your luggage is loaded into a wheel barrel which you follow by foot for twenty minutes thru the island and now you arrive in paradise; pristine blue and green colored water invites you to a nicely tempered swim on a white and empty beach, with nice and not loud people around, no screaming kids. The hotel consists of about 15 hut like separate, attractive buildings located 50 yards from the beach in a shady palm tree forest. The reception is friendly and professional and explains you very nicely how everything works.
The restaurant is characterized by its friendly, warm and humorous service and it's superb meals from breakfast to dinner and you realy do feel good and happy in this kind of environment.
The only black spot is the water supply or the lack thereof. Toilette paper may not be flushed but put in a separate container which is being emptied by the cleaning personnel. This an inconvenience which is,however,mitigated by the beauty of the location and the attitude of the personnel.
The whole lci experience, once at home, affects you like a beautiful dream.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the kind review! The toilet paper thing different, but this is how it is in almost all of Central America.

Safe travels and hope to see you back on LCI!

Been to Little Corn Beach and Bungalow? Share your experiences!