“Hell in Paradise” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grace's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Grace's Place
You added Grace's Place to your Saves list
Nicaragua   |
“Hell in Paradise”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Rented a two-bed cabana with a friend for 4 nights. The price was good, for Corn Islands standards, at $9 each. That's about the only good thing about Grace's Place.

First off, the staff is the most lackadaisical, inattentive, and lazy group I've ever had the "pleasure" of dealing with. Every simple request ("Can I please get a beer?," "I'd like to pay now") was greeted as if they were being ask to do something terrible and well-outside of their job description. I'm normally not phased by this, but Graces' staff came across as particularly rude and disrespectful. It seemed like "work" meant "hang out with my friends and not do my job" at this particular place...

Next, there's the room itself. I'm pretty sure I got bedbugs while I was here, which is enough to not recommend a place, but this was particularly bad. The smaller bed was so uncomfortable – like, it felt like being stabbed by a blunt metal object all night – my friend and I ended up sharing the bigger, but still disgusting bed. The cabanas are so rickety and poorly-built, it's impossible to keep sand out of anything and everything.

The only real advantage of this place is its location on the windy, more beautiful side of the island. The beach is right there, and it's generally a lot more tranquil than the village side of Little Corn. Your best bet at the budget price is probably going to be Three Brothers, which is in the village, but offers much cleaner rooms, extremely friendly service, and even a kitchen where you can cook for yourself and get away from the extortionate restaurant prices on the island.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tonyc32
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed in Graces place for a night and had a pretty poor experience.

- Took a room based on it having a mosquito net and fan. It had neither and I never did get the fan despite asking all day, they just said 'later, later' and finally admitted they didn't have one. I was unwell and had an awful, hot night. Should have insisted on having it before paying but you don't expect them to let you down :/

- The rooms are poor, just plasterboard separated rooms. No breeze and you can hear every whisper from the next room. I could even SEE into the room diagonally below me!!

- Staff attitude is pretty poor. Ask for anything other than another drink and you'll get some eyes rolled at you and a 'later, later' response. When I paid for my accommodation they didn't have change...when I asked for the change upon checking out they even said to come back later....I'M CHECKING OUT!!! :/ Upon my insistence they immediately opened the cash till and found some change.

- They ran out of water. Nothing for flushing toilets, brushing teeth....nothing. Each place has a reserve but they ran out because of the sheer number of people there. We moved elsewhere and foud they had water.

- A bit dangerous in terms of the build, hit my head on a low corrugated roof that was rusted. Had my shots luckily! Apparently I was the fifth to do so that week.

- Stray dogs- they tend to hand around and one has the habit of vomiting everywhere. Staff would just cover the vomit up with sand and make no attempt to shoo the dog away. Not nice when you're trying to eat.

- Menu prices are incorrect. I would order off the menu at price x but they would present price y on the bill while saying 'our prices went up, the menu is old'.

Room Tip: Check your rooms has things in it such as a mosquito net and fan. They have a habit of promising the...
Maribor, Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

i've been backpacker whole my life and I didn't like it there at all...i don't mind wooden floor and shared bathrooms but what i don't like is the staff who treats you as like you weren't even there. i asked them for a drink in a bar they would just ignore me until i had to almost shot, obviously bartenders were a couple so they just kept climbing on top of eachother. In the morning (at 6am) they woyld come to search one of the staff in the room that was almost next to ours-but everything seems as if it is in your room because of the wooden paretes-cause he passed out in one of the rooms and they woke the whole hostel up and then they just explained to us that this is what it happens usually when the guy who works there drinks and goes partying...don't let me ven start with bathrooms.....i've never seen something so disgusting and as i said i traveled a lot...so sorry to have to say this, but i wouldn't if it wasn't for the staff who weren't making it any easier...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Stanford, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I'd rate this place between 3 & 4. A friend and I stayed here for two nights. The atmosphere is great and we met a lot of interesting people. The location is fantastic too - right in front of the beach and in my opinion on the better side of the island. The staff is great too, everyone seems happy and helpful and willing to converse. We also went on the snorkeling tour conducted by them which was quite nice. The room is quite cheap at $15 for two people with a shared bathroom, but it's really, really basic. It's essentially a box with 2 beds and a table in it. The mosquito net is a hit and miss, so do get your bug spray (there are a LOT of mosquitoes on Little Corn). The electricity also goes off in the middle of the night, so you will need to keep your window open to get some breeze or you'll stew in your sweat till morning - so, again, get your bug spray. While I was there, 2 of the 4 bathrooms had something wrong with them, although this never really delayed me for anything. Drainage in the showers was a little bit of an issue.

At the end of my second day I met people living next door at Elsa's and Carlito's and they said that they got their own room with a private bathroom for $20, so in terms of value for money, that seems like a better deal. If I'd known that earlier, I may have tried one of those for a night.

So, in short -

Ups - Great location, nice atmosphere, fun people, cheap
Downs - Very basic room, questionable mosquito nets, not ultra clean showers/bathrooms and possible better value for money next door (5 bucks extra for 2 people for a private bathroom)

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was one of the best places I've had the opportunity to visit. It offered the chance to stay in a hut on the beach, where I slept with the sound of waves and a cool breeze, and upon waking in the morning was able to go from bed to the sea in a matter of seconds. The rooms were comfortable, as clean as would be expected for beachfront hut island standards. Sharing a hut with three other people made it one of the most affordable spots that I've found, and an excellent deal for the location. With the sea to your right, walk down the beach until you find a hut on the left with a sign that reads "My Dream". See Georgina and Jose for some great conversation, and the best fresh pastries the island has to offer!

Simcoe, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed at Grace's Place (Cool Spot) for just one night of a two night trip to Little Corn Island. It was definitely a bargain in comparison to the other side of the island where we stayed the night before, but you cannot expect for the price it is anymore than what it is.

Rooms - The rooms were fine, nothing fancy, but the linens were clean and they were swept out before we went in. The bathroom was alright. We chose not to shower in there as we were only there one night and had showered at the hotel we stayed at the night before. In the morning there was a hugee cockroach in the bathroom. We probably woke other people up with our girly screams, but we just laughed it off. Staying at a place like this you have to expect to come across some critters.

Food - The food was good. We ate breakfast here in the morning and it was really good. However for food I would highly recommend Tranquilo Cafe the chicken tacos were amazing! The nice thing at Grace's was that they just kept a running tab for us so any drinks/food that we ordered we just paid for at the end.

Location - We loved this side of the island. Though both were nice the beaches were gorgeous around Grace's and the water was much rougher so you could really hear the waves crashing. It was very relaxing.

What to do? - We found that there wasn't much going on during the time that we were on the island. I think it was a tuesday-thursday trip and most of the locals said that they don't do much partying except on the weekend. At night we stayed at the restaurant at Grace's and they played music and loaned us some dominoes to play with, which was nice. I don't know if it was the time that we were there or what, but there weren't to many other people around. It was relaxing though during the day we did a lot of reading and just soaking up the sun and beautiful views. We headed to the 'Look out tower' on one of the days and debated climbing for about an hour but opted out of climbing it since the nearest hospital is a 30 minute boat ride away...

Overall Grace's Place was a great bargain. The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed our time there. I wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Had a great time here. Service from Grace, and her daughter who went by La China, was excellent. Great water pressure in cabana with private bath, very comfortable, just steps from the water, for $30 per night.

Much better deal than Little Corn B&B in my opinion. More authentic and friendlier service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grace's Place? Share your experiences!