“Unbelieveable Spot! Amazing Sunset! Unbeatable Staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Paraiso Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   Shipwreck Beach | Corn Island, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Big Corn Island
Grand Cayman
“Unbelieveable Spot! Amazing Sunset! Unbeatable Staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

We recently travelled to Nicaragua. We had an absolutley amazing time which was highlighted by the Parasio Club. The Paraiso was unique, the bungalows quaint. The beach was supberb. The snorkelling and beach "bar none". The serene resort totally complimented by Raphael and his staff. The menu varied and aweseome. The local knowledge imparted really made our trip. It was a super experience. The food and hospitaliy akin to home. We could have not felt more welcome.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Wilmington, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

My family and I were disappointed with our stay at the Paraiso Club. I think it was misleading for the hotel's website not to mention that only cold water is provided in the rooms. I would not have booked this hotel at $95 a night if I knew that I would not be able to have a hot shower. The beds on concrete platforms were comfortable but the only seating in the room were 2 plastic chairs that you could probably buy at Walmart for $5. Neither in the hotel's website ,nor my two conversations with the manager prior to our stay, was there any mention that there would be 4% added to the total bill if you wish to pay by credit card. So be aware! The photos of the beach on the hotel's webiste are also not a true representation of the Paraiso beach, which is rocky and has 4 or 5 boats moored on the beach right outside the hotel. There is a sandy beach to the left of the hotel property which is the beach that the guests gravitate to.. However, the management made no attempt to put any of the lounge chairs on the sandy beach or even sweep the beach of the debris that rolls in on the tides. As a result it was not a beach we felt comfortable hanging out at and preferred other beaches around the island (particularly Long Bay beach). We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and dined at the Bucanner Restarant each night. Service is very slow, which was OK except for one night when we waited more than an hour and the cook on duty had not even started our meal,. We ended up canceling our order. The hotel also has frequent power shortages (one a day while we were there) which can last for several hours. During that time, there is no internet service. There are also no safes in the rooms. One of the previous reviews mentioned that the owners were present and managingf the hotel. That is not the case. Perhaps if the owners were residing on Corn Island and at the resort it would be better managed. My family and I were not expecting luxury but we definitely felt that at $95 a night the facilities and service should have been better than what we experienced.
Corn Island is a beautiful, natural island but I would choose a different hotel if I visited again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

This is the first hotel room(Cabana) I've encountered without a chair or table. There is a big concrete platform bed in the middle of the room. I kept bumping my shin on; all through my stay. I spent five nights.
The food is tasty bue expensive. The local beer is double the price compared to Picnic Center.The help was ok. They seem to have a shyness I'm not used to. The owners said hello every time I saw them. I do not think I'll ever visit this place again

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Ivybridge, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

After reading so many mixed reviews of the Paraiso, we arrived ready for anything. From the moment we arrived till the moment we left, we enjoyed ourselves and relaxed, and felt at home. It's a great place to stay! From the free airport pickup to final departure by the same means. The staff are friendly and helpful and the owner approachable and informative. Daphne and the other members of the team - reception, restaurant and cleaning - always had a smile and were prepared to pass time and answer questions. The food is great and the restaurant/bar spot-on in every way - probably the best and widest menu choice at any of the restaurants we went to on the island, including the much-vaunted Siva's at Sally Peachie, or the Casa Canada or Picnic Spot. The restaurant service might be seen as a bit slow, but who cares, you're in the Caribbean, and the food is all cooked from fresh. It's worth the wait! There's also interesting information and books in the restaurant area, free internet access, and games and so on to keep you amused if it's raining or while relaxing.
The bedrooms in small thatched houses are clean, air-conditioned, and comfortable. We slept very well at the Paraiso! The verandahs have hammock, seating and views of the lovely grounds. Out front the beach is a mere 50 metres away, The snorkelling wasn't brilliant when we were there (rain and rough sea) but around the wrecks it's fun and there are plenty of fish if not much coral. The beach is good to walk and sit around on, and just pass time looking at the sea, and there is a freshwater lagoon behind it with wading birds to watch.
It's a 15 minute walk to the island's ATM (or a very short taxi ride - the hotel can call taxis at any time) and within easy reach of all other places on Big Corn - beaches, restaurants and snorkelling spots. It was too rough to snorkel at Sally Peachie, but I am reliably informed (by my daughter who was on Corn after us) that with Dorsey Campbell as your underwater guide it's superb.
All in all, it's a perfect place to base oneself on Big Corn with guaranteed excellent food, comfortable accommodation, lovely shady grounds, beach access and peace and quiet. An authentic Caribbean experience - simple pleasures with friendly service.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

Although my review is late, I wanted to contribute to this forum and describe my experience at Paraiso Club. My girlfriend and I spent a week at Paraiso Club this past November and had an absolutely wonderful time, on the island and especially at the hotel.

Prior to booking our vacation, I exchange numerous emails with Carol and Marixta, both of whom are articulate, patient and willing to answer any question I had, regardless of how silly it was. I have lived and travelled extensively through the Philippines, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Panama and now Nicaragua, and over the years have experienced numerous issues surrounding communications – receiving prompt and clear emails this time around was great and put me at ease.

Now, the hotel itself. If you are seeking 5 star lodging, then this is not the place for you. I suggest you check out Casa Canada, where you will most likely find a higher level of luxury (accompanied by higher prices) but far less personal service. As well, at Casa Canada, the majority of the rooms are right next to one another, llimiting space and creating privacy issues. At Paraiso Club, we had our own cabin, complete with air-conditioner, private bathroom and a great verandah with two hammocks. Simply put, I could not ask for more. Again, if you wear high heels to the beach and check the world out through gigantic Versace sunglasses, you will probably think the rooms/cabins are lacking. My girlfriend and I had absolutely no problems with anything at all.

The grounds are well kept and there are many places to sit in the sun or shade. Their strip of beach is excellent and I spent a great deal of time in the lounge chairs. Sure there are bigger beaches on the island but this is literally 25 paces from your room so I would find it hard to come up with a complaint – although, as one contributor said, there are several beached fishing boats taking up space - I believe they were being repaired.

Now, the staff. I found the wait staff in the restaurant to be excellent. I already discussed Carol and Marixta, both of whom I thought were very professional. As for the owners, maybe this will give you an idea of the type of people they are: My girlfriend and I went scuba diving and unfortunately, she ran into some coral, creating an extremely painful and itchy welt on her leg. When we got back to the hotel, we approached one of the owners, Ton, to ask about a pharmacy. He took one look at her leg, called a cab and sent the driver to the pharmacy to pick up some medicine. When the cab returned, Ton and Mike (the other owner) refused to take any money for either the cab or the medicine. They then proceeded to buy us a celebratory drink (my girlfriend received her Scuba certification that day) and invite us to their table to dinner. Again, I have been fortunate enough to live and travel through Asia and North/Central America and this willingness to help is not always prevalent.

As well, if you are staying at Paraiso Club, ask Ton and Mike about their work for the community – I guarantee you will be surprised and pleased to hear that they both give back far more than most. Again, this is a rare commodity amongst re-located foreigners and is something they both should be very proud of.

If I ever have the opportunity to head back to the Corn Islands, there is only one place I’ll stay and that’s the Paraiso Club. Again, if you’re looking for an obnoxious 5-star hotel, Casa Canada’s your best bet. If you’re looking for a Cancun-style resort, try Arenas. If you want a quiet, relatively private place with excellent customer service (the food is also great) and helpful staff, then Paraiso Club is for you.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for two nights back in 2008, and was delighted by my experience. It is not, nor does it try to be, a major destination resort. Nice snorkeling in front by a shipwreck, proprietor, a Dutchman, is extremely helpful. Most of the help were great. Rooms are 3rd world but clean. Went on a tour of the island with a local and met many "interesting" people. Have fun. Go. Jeff

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

Staff was so so, I didn't get the impression that they were very excited to have us. The place is a bit worn down. Nothing to really walk to from here, in fact the surrounding area isn't somewhere you'd want to be wondering around after dark. The beach in front is small and nothing special. The best beaches are located elsewhere on the island. We spent one night here and then moved on to somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Paraiso Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!