“look elsewhere” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Yellowtail House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Corn Island
Yellowtail House
You added Yellowtail House to your Saves list
Sally Peaches, Nicaragua   |
Big Sky, Montana
“look elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We were excited when we stumbled upon yellowtail guesthouse but left with a very bad taste in our mouths. Upon meeting dorcy (the owner and "best snorkle guide on the island") he told us that it would be a fine day to go snorkeling.. we were hesitant to believe him but really wanted to go so we trusted his judgement eventhough it was windy and overcast. The tour was only an hour and dorcy charged us 20 dollars each. I would feel better paying that much if he had a boat and took us to several locations but we just walked across the street Into the ocean and he showed us a few fish. The room was dirty and overpriced. We felt cheated by dorcy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
kingston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

First of all, if you are used to all-inclusive resorts or fine hotels, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for an adventure and a great authentic and friendly experience, this is the place for you. The best part of the Yellowtail House is the location. It is directly across the street from the best snorkelling area on the Island. If you did not bring your gear, Dorcy, the proprietor will supply you with gear and take you on a tour for a very reasonable price.

Speaking of Dorcy, when I arrived at the Yellowtail, Dorcy immediatly informed me that his first priority was my personal safety and making sure that I had a pleasant stay. He advised me as a solo traveller on which areas to avoid, and asked me to check in with him if I was leaving so he could watch out for me as a solo female traveller. I didn't mind and it was good to check in when I was coming and going anyway. The entire time that I was staying at the Yellowtail, it felt like I was staying at a friend's place. It was very relaxed and low key.

There is a great restaurant beside the hotel where you can get lobster for a very reasonable price. There is also a woman down the street who sells coco bread and other baked goods which were very delicious. She also made me coffee in the morning, which was great.

The rooms are very reasonably priced. They are definitely nothing fancy, but there is nothing wrong with that. You have your own private bungalo with bathroom (toilet and shower), kitchen and bed. The Island is beautiful, you shouldn't be spending much time in your bungalo anyway. Bring some flip flops to wear inside as the floor is concrete.

I have to say my stay at the Yellowtail was one of the best experiences I have had. I will definitely return to Big Corn Island and stay at the Yellowtail House. I recommend you call Dorcy direct to book, as you would not want to miss out (they only have 2 Cabins). I found a phone number online- (505) 890-9-8050.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Managua, Nicaragua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you want to go live there, book in advance since he only has two cabins. It's located in the best view and snorkeling place on corn island. I didn't stay in the hotel but went to the snorkeling tour. I stayed at Dannet's and was looking for a snorkeling tour, and she recommended her cousin Dorsey. When the taxi passed I caught a glimpse of the cabin, looks ok on the outside. When I met Dorsey he offered me the price $20 for an any hour tour. He has all the equipments ready for you. He has great knowledge and is full of energy, since he had an one hour tour with others before me. He showed me all the places that you can see, including reefs fishes and even sting rays, I was out of luck and didn't see any sharks though. Keep in mind that Dorsey's equipments are only basic ones and a life circle thing to grab on, so if you are afraid let him know. It's a great tour and I saw most of the things I wanted.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I stayed for three weeks Feb 2012. The cabins are plenty good enough with cooking facilities and mozzie nets.
Dorsey is on hand to make your stay special and to guide you around the reefs. Great place for snorkelling, lazing around and chatting to the locals. Fall asleep to the sound of waves breaking on the shore. Yellowtail can be hard to book, there are only two cabins, best time to call Dorsey is 7am or after 8pm local time (89098050 - claro). I would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Yellowtail House was our first stop when we arrived on Big Corn Island and we were pleasantly surprised! The owner, Dorsey, is a quite a character as well as an excellent snorkel guide. The guest houses are in good shape- full size bed, mosquito net, shower, refrigerator, kitchen tools, and an awesome view! Dorsey took us on a snorkel trip out to some of the bigger reefs which were not too far of a swim right off the beach. We felt very safe with him and it was definitely worth it to hire him as a guide. (You can explore on your own but it is helpful to have him show you some of the best spots) The stretch of road where Yellowtail is located has other interesting characters as well. There is a lady just a little ways down the street that makes fresh coco bread every day, it is amazing! She was very sweet, as she brought me a bowl of soup one day when I wasn't feeling well. I would definitely recommend staying at Yellowtail, you will definitely get a feel for the true culture of the island.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Yellowtail House is a great place to stay if you are lucky enough to get in. I was there in March 2011 and will surely go back.The owner, Dorsey Campbell is a hospityable and friendly guy and will tell you as much as you’d like to know about the island and his place is truly a great place to stay and relax. The warm Carabien is just seconds out your front door and a great place to go snorkeling. In fact, he will take you out as far as you care to swim. Really. So if you are looking for a nice quiet place to chill on the Big Corn Island, then this is the place for you. Dorsey will even get you some fresh coconut water and fresh fruit if you would like. A local guy, Roshawn stopped by one day and brought me some bananas. His place is loicated right next to a little pulparia where you can get some groceries and cold beer or many other items. The cabins are equiped with a small kitchen for preparing your own meals if you like. I was only able to stay for two night but wanted to stay longer. I recommend Yellowtail House very highly.

Room Tip: He has only two bungalos
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

My wife and I arrived on Big Corn island planning to stay for 4 nights. After checking in at Dorsey Campbell´s Yellowtail House, we ended up staying for 16! I think some travellers head straight for Little Corn Island, but I would definitely recommend checking availability at Yellowtail House first.

It is located on a beautiful spot on the north coast of the island, with a incredible, isolated beach right in front, and some fantastic reef, which is teeming with life, an easy swim from the shore. There is also a cracking seafood restaurant a 100m walk away.

The accommodation consists of two basic, but really well kitted-out, solid and secure stone huts, at around $25 a night per hut. They have large verandas with a view of the beautiful sea (perfect for beers on the rocking chairs!), a shower, a fridge and two hobs (for the fish brought in by rowing boats just down the shore - including yellowtail - and lobster!), and a large indoor space including a double bed with mosquito net. In the morning Dorsey brought us fresh coconut juice, straight from the trees on his land. A young guy also came by on his bicycle every day taking orders for delicious coconut bread, and Dorsey´s brother runs a shop next door serving incredible nacatamales.

Dorsey is a wonderful character. He´s an expert snorkelling guide, and an islander who welcomed us into the community and taught us about the history of the place. He´s also an wonderfully friendly and funny guy. You can be as independent as you like though, he is very laid-back! We were both so grateful to him for making our time on the island an unforgettable experience of the unspoilt Caribbean.

It´s not really possible to reserve a place at Yellowtail House, as I don´t think the phone numbers in the Rough Guide, Lonely Planet or Moon guidebooks are up to date, so I suggest just taking a cab from the airport for $0.75 and there will hopefully be a place for you!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Yellowtail House? Share your experiences!