“Its too bad!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kangaroo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fronteras
Hotel Kangaroo
You added Hotel Kangaroo to your Saves list
Fronteras, Rio Dulce, Guatemala   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Fronteras B&B and Inns
“Its too bad!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This place was not on my top list when coming to Rio but some fellow travelers recommended so i came. As you can see with my ratings are overall positive. Its a great location, dorm bed price includes the boat ride to and from (60Q), wifi in main area, 1 hot shower, towel, rest cold which works with this heat, comfy beds, and restaurant on site. The place is quiet and even has a jacuzzi. The owners are in US on vaca ad left a friend to manage. Only 5 people staying here right now and as one described her ..."She is a bit intense". This place is just too small, too few people here, too little to do in Rio to hang around here for days. Too many optioms around the lake.The other side of my decision to cut my kangaroo visit short is ive had diarrhea since eating aussie burger. No fun. Too sum it up.. Im sure the owners are great and would change the vibe of the place. Im guessing my bout with the runs is a fluke happening..just my experience.

• Stayed April 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
SAINT CLOUD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We went because we love Aussie ran hostels. They are normally very fun. The Aussie owner was on vacation and an American woman was managing for him. She was very nice and helpful. Told us all about tours and told us like three times to not drink the water as it was filtered river water. I really appreciated that. The hostel is on a river in the jungle. Simply fantastic! Worth staying there just for the boat ride there. When we got off the bus a guy was there with a sign telling about the hostel. He took us down to the dock and the hostel boat came to get us for free. Every morning at 8:30 there is a free boat to town. There is free wi-fi. The place is spotless. The jacuzzi was not on. We didn't ask about it so I don't know if it was working. There is one hot water shower and a few cold ones. Watch the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor. The rail doesn't go all the way up and I almost tripped. Beautiful artwork and nice touches. The restaurant was good but a tad expensive for Guatemala I thought. It also closes at 8 so if you come in late make sure you eat in town or bring food. No guest kitchen. Also bring mosquito spray as it is in the middle of the jungle. I wish I could have stayed longer but we were running out of time. If we ever went back, we would take snacks and more water as there are no stores out there. Really nice place and pretty neat dorms as well.

• Stayed February 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

As a young solo female traveler, Central America has greeted me with kindness, generosity, helpfulness, and big smiles. Not here. Gary should not be working in hospitality.
I chose this place because one of the guys with poster boards told me there were free kayaks, hot water, and a jacuzzi. There is one hot water shower, the jacuzzi wasn't on, and the kayaks are ridiculously over priced (100Q/ 4 hrs) I decided to ask Gary if he could make an allowance and let me paddle around for just a bit for free since I picked the place based on free kayaks. When I asked, his immediate response was a sarcastic "Are you special?" I was floored. I also work in tourism and yes, tourists can be frustrating, but I would never ever talk to someone that way.
Needless to say I left the next day. If you prefer friendly hosts, don't stay here.

• Stayed January 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Well, we certainly had a good time at Kangaroo! Gary is a really nice guy, and the location and atmosphere are very special. A myriad of birds flying over your head, noises coming up from the swamp, turtles crawling in the mud, and the two spectacularly lazy dogs, Bear and Fat Albert, lying around the sundeck.

The Mexican food was good, although some things were clearly heated in a microwave, I recommend the pork in pasilla with a Negra Modelo. Yum!

However the place also attracts some really annoying types, who seem to think that traveling in a foreign country is all about the cheap funny tobacco...

Room Tip: the bungalow is more private, however the tin roof is very noisy when it rains!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Neuchatel, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went to Kangaroo hostel this last christmas. We saw the nice whirlpool, but it only had little and dirty water. Then we found out that the breakfast was not included in the price of the room. We have been invited to have a drink at our arriving so we tough that's nice to get the first drink, but no it was also on the bill. The first evening as you are away from town we ate in the restaurant, we heard the microwave and yes the food was prepared in advance and just put in the microwave. At the end if you want to pay wit your credit card they charge you 8%, i just don't know why? The room was clean but also there the locker was not working. So maybe we had to high expectations but we would probably not go there if we turn back to this very nice part of Guatemala. Joel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Hotel Kangaroo and loved it! It's pretty rustic - basic rooms with a toilet and a shower and a bed and some lights, all open-air. Good mesh for keeping the bugs out. They've got a hot tub, kayaks for rent, and book tours to a hot-water waterfall for Q80 (although you have to pay for some entrance fees).

The restaurant is really good, and the staff are very helpful. They've got satellite internet so no skype or videos here - although I don't see why you'd want to waste your time fooling around on a computer in such a beautiful place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tapiquilas, Honduras
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by this place - the location was very unique and secluded, and the kids loved being able to jump off the pier and swim. We had hot showers, and we enjoyed the game night with some boaters. We stayed in a private room with bunk beds and a double bed, and it was very pleasant. We all slept well, and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. There is a TV with several DVD's in a little living room area that was nice, and things were clean.

The food is a little bit expensive, and it would be easy to run up a large bill with the tab system. In the future we plan on eating in town more when we visit.

The tours that we took were fun, and Gary did a nice job of explaining them to us, so that we could self-guide and save money. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Kangaroo? Share your experiences!