“Can't wait to go back!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
10% Discount DISCMAY15
Ranked #3 of 40 Weligama B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to go back!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is the first review I have ever wrote and that alone shows my feeling for the Lions Rest…..Love this place! I went to Sri Lanka for a two week surf trip and was booked into the rest for 4days…..this turned in 7, 9 12 etc….

Mikey, Lucky and the team just make you feel so welcome and part of the family for your stay. The accommodation itself is really great and way more luxurious than I'm normally used to on previous surf trips to remote locations in Mexico, Costa Rica etc. Also, the food is amazing….we did a BBQ every few nights and it blew me away (I work in the food industry), perfect after a long days surfing.

As for the surf….great breaks right out front for intermediate surfers or people whom want to go for there first reef wave experience, manageable. Also the beach in Welligama is PERFECT for beginners….only 5mins away in tuc tuc etc. I rented a bike and travelled up and down the coast checking out the countless spots in a small radius.

All in all if you are going to Sri Lanka…this is your spot. I already have a group of friends going next month and I'll be back next year. My new retreat!

Keep up the good work guys and good luck for the future (you don't need it!)!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I've spent there 4 days as my last part of Srilankan holidays. I can say It was great choice compering to what you would get in nearest, busy Mirrisa village. I loved the food in Lion's Rest as well as the service. It's just next to the quiet beach and close to Weligama village, where the fresh seafood market is. Specious and designers rooms can easily fit family with 2 kids. We will definately come back again soon.

Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Beautiful tranquil location in a quiet little village with views of the fun quiet surf breaks - coconuts reef and plantations for surfing (about 200m away). The rooms are clean and airy, very quiet and relaxing, the food is great and the views are outstanding. Out-front is the quiet village green, with wandering cows and chickens, families playing in the tidal pools and locals going about their business. Everyone in the village seemed genuinely friendly and helpful, yet there was no hassel.

Amazing staff, Lucky and his lovely family are local through and through a pleasure to meet and very knowledgeable of the local area, culture and surf......quiet literally going the extra mile to help you go wherever you want. Most of the time Lucky will drop everything and take you himself, ensuring you see everything worth seeing on the way! He'll take you surfing at the best spots, spear-fishing, to cultural sites, but equally if your just relaxing your left alone.

We traveled around Sri Lanka for a week or so and Mike (owner of the Lions Rest) helped us loads with logistics, storing our stuff, sorting transport and when I returned with an ear infection even personally took me too the local doctor!! We stayed in a variety of places (some double the price) and the Lions rest was by far the best on every level....we were pretty pleased to return.

If you like the relaxed boutique guesthouse idea, in a nice quiet rural setting, with great (quiet!!) surf out-front....this is for you. The Lions Rest, Mike, Lucky and the team give you a bit more of an authentic Sri Lankan experience!!

5 Stars, better than we imagined, thanks to Mike, Lucky and the team for making our honeymoon so special.

Room Tip: Choose the Sunset room for the best views!!
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was my first trip to Sri Lanka with My wife and I was looking for adventure but based in a comfortable place. The Lions Rest is located awat from the main Galle Coast Road which is quite uniwue for alot of the accomodation and is a real bonus as it makes it a real oasis of tranquility. The village of Gurebella is traditional and filled with happy smiling faces everywhere, and why should they not smile with a gorgeous beach out front, 2 great surf points and coconuts everywhere! So the Lions Rest is in a great position for either exploring the numerous beach and reef surf breaks down this coast. No where is far in a Tuk Tuk and trips up into the hills and wildlife parks are easily arranged as it surfbaord ire and all manner of andive from Mike and Lucky and the rest of the Lions Rest team. The hotel has only recently opened it's doors and it feels like a villa esq type holiday. Rooms are beautifully finished and comfortable, Food was fresh and tasdty (and non expensive). The staff at the lions rest really make it a special stay with lots of smiles and advice on whetever it is you are looking to do. The Hotel really is a little gem. Pricing is very competitive for the standard of the hotel and would suit solo, couple, friends and families as it has a lovely pool to escape the heat in as well.
I can whole heartly recomend the Lions Rest as a perfect place to spend either your entire stay or at least many nights relaxing in front of that amazing sunset.............we shall be back.....

Room Tip: If a couple then definatley see if the sunset room is free, priceless sunsets with a cold drink.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Lion's Rest? Share your experiences!