“100% satisfaction and more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barberyn Beach Ayurveda Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Weligama
Barberyn Beach Ayurveda Resort
You added Barberyn Beach Ayurveda Resort to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Spa   |   Kapparatota, Weligama, Matara MH81000, Sri Lanka   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Weligama
Moscow, Russia
“100% satisfaction and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I found this place on Tripadvisor and went there for a 2 week stay thanks to all good reviews on this site. The place (location, staff, service, attention to detail) has exceeded my expectations. Both me and my mom were very happy with our choice and do hope to be back one day.

Location: It is in fact quite amazing. The hotel is isolated from the outside world which makes one feel very relaxed and in peace. It is on the top of a hill with beautiful views over the ocean and gorgeous sunrise and sunset times. It has easy access to two beaches: one good for swimming and another good for walking and watching the local fishermen at work.

Territory: great idea and design; the hotel is harmoniously integrated into the nature, there are many trees, flowers and animals around. Nature watching is great and again very relaxing. And you are never bored, rather the opposite... there were interesting surprises at every corner. There is a nice swimming pool and yoga pavilion. The territory is fairly big and very well maintained.

Staff: all smiles, friendly, kind. We were very happy with all the service and attention we got. Felt very personal with a lot of care.

Food: I still miss it... A LOT :). It is all vegetarian; great selection of curries, spicies, fruits, they bake nice cakes (I have sweet tooth), many juices and different herbal teas.

Activities: there are really many and all complimentary. One can attend yoga, tai-chi, meditation, cooking classes; listen to lectures on different ayurvedic topics, visit nearby places on tours. I was surprised how busy we always were and all activities were organized professionally and were a lot of fun.

Ayurveda: We did not go with any specific problems but wanted to do a general detox program. We were very satisfied; both physically and mentally. Feel very relaxed and rested... There are 4 hands massages, steam and herbal baths, acupuncture, different specialized treatments... We usually spent about 2,5-3 hrs per day on treatments.

Rooms: we had a standard room at first and a delux one later on. Did not see much difference though. One thing which bothered me was that we were gived one big bed, it would be more comfortable to have two separate ones. Otherwise, rooms are spacious, bright, simple and have nice ocean views from the balcony.

In addition, I liked very much the tranquility at the resort. Even in high season, there was never any rush or crowds; I did not expect it to such extend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

This is my fourth time to Barberyn and I always tell friends it's not a holiday, it's a health retreat. You do come home full of health and vitality having loved the sunshine, the beautiful location, the glorious treatments and the lovely relaxed atmosphere. But even though you will love nearly every minute of your stay, some of the medicines reassure you it's not just a holiday! It is however the most luxurious treat you can give yourself - a restorative cure for mind, body and for those of us that think we have one, soul.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

It is a wonderful "hotel", hotel in quotes because you go there for ayurvedic treatments. I would not suggest the hotel for normal holidays. The first time I went there together with my wife, but I learned, it is better for an ayurvedic treatment (at least for me) to be alone. Because not only your body, but also your mind is going to react.
The hotel is located on a "reef" close to the sea with a wonderful garden and swimmingpool.
But if you are looking for a "real" tropical beach you have to take a tuktuk to the south of Weligama (about 15 minutes ride for aprox. 2.5 Euros). There you will find a marvelous tropical seduced beach. The only minus is a long transfer time from the airport outside of Colombo (about 4 to 5 hours drive). But you will be picked up from the hotel at the airport. This service worked always perfectly and the transfer costs are included.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I´ve beein to Barberyn Beach the second time for a two week ayurveda-treatment. The resort ist really beautiful and very well maintainend. The treatments are execellent. Also the rooms are very nice - If you take a studio or a deluxe room you get a wonderful view to the sea. It´s a real good place if you plan to do a real ayurveda treatment - there are only ayurveda guests there. It´s no place for people looking for fun and entertainment - it´s very calm.

Room Tip: Studio or Deluxe Room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
DorotheaBarberyn, Manager at Barberyn Beach Ayurveda Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Many thanks for your kind words- I hope you will be able to come and visit us again soon!
Kindest regards, Dorothea
Christchurch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This resort is far superior to the other resort, Barberyn Reef. It is just a step up. I originally booked my trip for medical reasons. I was totally burned out and needed complete rest and relaxation. I originally chose Barberyn Reef because it was closer to the airport (less driving distance after a long flight) and it was right on the beach. I originally booked there for 3 weeks but only stayed one week and then asked to transfer to Weligama. I have included more about Barberyn Reef on a separate review.

Everything at Barberyn Beach was perfect from the greeting on arrival with a welcome drink and necklace of Frangipani to the beautiful flower arrangement that was on my bed on arrival. The staff were amazing and nothing was too much trouble (a direct contrast to Barberyn Reef).

The food was fantastic and there was always a doctor on hand to give helpful advice at meal time. You could choose to ignore it but they did their best to ensure you had what you needed.

The Ayuvedic treatments were just lovely. I felt that the doctors had a good knowledge and listened to your problem and suggested the correct treatments. I had specific health issues while I was there and they acted promptly to help relieve my discomfort.

The whole environment is peaceful and serene and a wonderful place to chill out and recuperate from life in the western world!

There are so many areas available to use. Extensive and beautiful gardens, yoga platform overlooking the ocean, swimming pool with ocean view and a short walk down to the beach which is not really safe for swimming.

I would thoroughly recommend this resort and am happy to answer any questions.

Room Tip: I would definitely choose a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

First off, understand that this is an Ayurvedic treatment facility above all else - it's not a resort or hotel in the normal sense. That said, it's fantastic. The food is amazing and somewhat catered to each individual, in that which you can choose from the amazing buffet for breakfast and lunch, you will also have certain dishes served to you. Dinner is not a buffet, and usually a little light - you've been warned.

Besides that, it's all about the 'treatments.' About 60min of deep oil massage, 30-45 min of acupuncture, as well as some steam therapies and herbal packs that are externally applied. All in all, it's a little more then 2 hrs a day.

There are yoga and meditation classes, but they are geared toward the entirely new and not at all fit, very very beginner stuff.

Longer stays are encouraged. I was there 8 days, and this was very much n the short side. In a lot of ways, I could just feel it 'kicking in' as I was leaving. If you have the full 2 weeks or a month, go for it.

Out of season guests were almost all Europeans, mostly Germans, with a few Chinese and Americans tossed in for good measure.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

We spent two weeks at Barberyn Beach Resort with my 18 year old daughter who was recovering from Glandular fever. The service and kindness of the staff, the clever architecture of the place linking the rooms to the treatment area, the ayurveda treatments done in the most professional way, the restaurant overlooking the area, the swimming pool surrounded by trees, the yoga overlookng the sea, the day trips offered by the hotel were all just wonderful and the only way I can describe the place was 'Paradise'.
One tip: bring good quality insect repellent (I was fine with it but my daughter needed it!)
The place gave complete peace of mind and a real opportunity to relax and re-energise.
Located about 4 or 5 hours from the airport with narrow roads to reach the resort. Transport provided by the hotel. I had read previous reviews and knew what to expect. A challenge but I was fine with it.

We spent one additional week in Barberyn Reef - that is not the same quality and the main good point there is the closeness of the rooms to the sea. That is more a holiday resort. Good but cannot be compared with Barberyn Beach.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Barberyn Beach Ayurveda Resort? Share your experiences!