“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

#10 Giron St | Barangay 7-B, Laoag, Luzon 2900, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Laoag B&B and Inns
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed in balay da blas for 3 days and 2 nights and I wish it was longer. The staff were very accomodating and the rooms were better than what we expected. Plus, they have a great restaurant a few blocks away and the food was superb. We are definitely booking here the next time we visit ilocos.

• Stayed June 2012

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Mandaluyong, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Don't expect a luxurious hotel because it is not. It's an old house that was converted in to a charming B&B. Its suites are decorated with antiques, giving them that old-world charm.

We were four in the group and we reserved two rooms, one standard room and one junior suite. The junior suite has a living room and a small kitchen. The standard room was very spacious which I did not expect. The standard room is located at the third floor of the new wing. What I hated about the room is the stairs going to the third floor which was too steep. It required effort to go up and down.

On our first night, we ordered food at the pensionne house since we were tired from the long drive. We learned from some blog sites that the owner was the one who invented the Pinakbet pizza. So, we ordered one pizza and okoy. We did not know that our order will come from the owner's restaurant which was within Laoag and was 5 minutes away. It was very unfortunate that our order arrived after 1.5 hours. We got the chance to have a chat with the owner and told him about the incident. He was very apologetic and invited us to have coffee in another B&B owned by his friend, Stone House. When we checked out on our last day, we were informed by the staff that we were not charged for the dinner. Thanks to our very gracious host, Sammy Blas!

I highly recommend this B&B, not only for the charming rooms but also for the gracious host and owner..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Balay da Blas is like home away from home. Before I decided to make my booking, I spoke to Sammy which happens to be the owner. My request of having a firm bed (due to my bad back) was not a problem.
They are located in a quiet inner street of Laoag city. Staff and crews all so friendly and accommodating. Our room is like a small apartment and cozy. Since my son needs to do his enlistment for college, Balay da Blas offers a strong wifi signal which helps a lot. They also bring our food to our room. Don't mind staying there if ever we are to go to Ilocos again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Balay da Blas Pensionne House is not very attractive from the outside. It sits on a small lot inside one of the inner streets of Laoag. The rooms, however, is a different story. My colleague and I stayed at the Executive Suite which only costs about P3,500. It is at the third floor (no elevator but the bellboy helped us with our stuff). The room is simply outstanding. It has the typical Ilocano design but with a lot of flair. The living room was a feast for the eyes with its two single sofa beds adorned with colorful pillows. Not to mention the paintings and decors that occupy every nook and cranny of the room. Of course, even the old world needs a 32-inch LCD TV with cable. The bedroom has capiz windows facing the sala which can be closed if desired. It has one queen-sized and one double-sized beds covered with white Ilokano blankets. The bathroom is very large, with a his and hers sink. The place alone can fit another bed inside. The whole room, which is about 70 sq. m. is picture perfect.

Another colleague stayed in the de luxe suite which is also nice with its fully-equipped kitchen and living room. It has a queen-sized bed in the bedroom and three single sofa beds in the living room. All the basic hotel amenities are provided although wi-fi in the room is very poor. Room rates also come with complimentary breakfast. Food at the restaurant is delicious too.

It's easy to get around the city from the hotel and they also offer affordable van rental and tour services.

There's also a new building for guests who prefer a more modern feel to their rooms but although the place is nice, the rooms are simply like any other hotel. They don't have the character which the main facility has.

I like Balay da Blas a lot and if ever I will bring my family to Ilocos, I would make sure that we stay even a night in this charming B&B.

Room Tip: Try the Executive Room is you are two or more because it's simply the best
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

My family and I stayed at Balay da Blas for 3 nights over the Holy Week. Having endured the 14-hour drive to Laoag from Manila, Balay da Blas offered us a simple, homey respite from all that travelling. We got the Executive Suite on the 3rd floor and there was more than enough room for 6 of us (4 adults, 2 children).
What I liked about Balay da Blas is the fact that it doesn't pretend to be something it's not. It was a home before it became a B&B and you can see that in the furnishings and the overall feel of the place. I loved the little accents and wooden pieces that littered our room as well as the reception area downstairs.
Service could have been faster but given that we were there during "peak" season, I guess that can be forgiven.
In general, the staff were warm and friendly- not charging us for corkage even when we brought our own wine to the dining area. They also made sure our breakfast was served at the right time and made adjustments to our orders when we needed them.
This is very good value for money if you're planning to make Laoag your homebase in Ilocos. Fort Ilocandia, Paoay Church, Malacanang of the North and the Marcos Mausoleum are just within 30-40 minutes driving distance away. The Bangui Windmills and Pagudpud are a bit further out (2 hours driving) but still not so bad.
Will definitely stay here again the next time I visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Hands down for great service! I was about to travel solo the first time I made my room reservation. They were so helpful and they answered all my questions and concerns and they made sure I'll be alright with my entire stay. I was in contact with them before my arrival and they made sure all is good. My friend decided to go along with me so my reservation have a slight change but it was all good with them.
Few weeks before my arrival, they asked if I need an airport transfer and there's also a service provided by the municipality that drops offf to their place. Van service are also available for rental with driver to visit the sites. Visiting Laoag and Vigan won't be complete without buying bagnet and longganisa. The hotel lets you use their freezer for your frozen goods and their staff will help you with packing. The works-frozen meat wrapped in newspaper, masking tape, box and tied! :)
On my last night, my friend and I decided to have a drink. Their staff, Was so accomodating and gave an excellent service. He gave our wine and gave us a lot of ice for it to be chilled, wine glass... No complaints even when we're on the top floor (3rd floor) no elevator :)

Room Tip: 3rd floor has two double bed with a shower and toilet which is quite big and has a jungle theme
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Wahiawa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed here for 11 days. March 18-31,2012. My stay here was very enjoyable. The staff was very friendly, professional, and very accomodating to our needs. I want to thank the owner Sammy for a pleasant and wonderful stay! He even personally invited us to dinner at Stone House restaurant. This place was great, very nice architecture and the Italian food was great.
We had the Deluxe Suite. The room was very clean, spacious, and comfortable. We had breakfast at the hotel everyday. Food was delicious,especially the Longanisa. I want to thank hotel workers Mel, Nomer, Sharon, Pressy,Ron and other workers ( I can't remember the other names) for the most enjoyable stay I have ever had! Balay Da Blas is a very class act. Will definetly stay again! Thank You Balay Da Blas!

Room Tip: Deluxe Suite is very spacious.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Balay da Blas Pensionne House? Share your experiences!