“looks nice , but needs renovation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Conqueror Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pindaya
Conqueror Hotel
You added Conqueror Hotel to your Saves list
Pindaya 11181 , Myanmar   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pindaya
testelt
“looks nice , but needs renovation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed with our tour group for one night in this hotel, with the purpose to visit the Pindaya caves.
We had dinner here, food was nice, breakfast was just ok - no buffet or so - just the minimum you need. The rooms , especially the bath room need renovation. It was quite cold , but they had these nice bed warmers for your feet .
The bar was also a plus - just to enjoy a last drink before going to sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The rooms at this hotel are actually cottages set in a valley surrounded by hills and caves of Pindaya. They were very rustic, with door locks that barely worked, and room lights that barely raised illumination from dim to less dim.

The weather was very cold when we stayed, so the lack of heaters in the rooms caught our attention very fast. Even the extra blankets in the wardrobe were not enough to cut the chill. But what a big surprise we got when staff showed up at our door with a couple of hot water bottles filled with welcomed hot water. Stuffing them in the beds did help, but it was still pretty cold.

The buffet breakfast was filling, and dining room itself was beautiful. The sight of the surrounding hills at sunrise was worthy of many photos.

Because of the cold weather, we did not try our luck with the swimming pool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Miri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The hotel was well located, but it has definitely seen its better days. Our tour agent booked us in the executive suite (e suite) since we were traveling with 2 kids (7&9) and it cost us about 170USD! I think if it was half that price I would not be so disappointed, but for 170USD it was not worth it. Not sure how much the normal rooms are but they are in decent shape.

The e suite chalet was supposed to be new, but it was eerily big, dark and cold. For conditions of the surrounding village I think they tried hard to imagine what an "executive" suite and came up with something very very poorly done. (as I mentioned before, if I had paid 70USD I would have been satisfied, but at 170 it was terrible).

The suite probably has not used that often judging by the enormous spiders my husband saw in the bathroom, but the thing that made us move rooms completely was a banded krait (about 1 metre long poisonous snake) we found sitting on the bathroom cistern when we came back after dinner. How long the snake had been there, I'm not sure. They ended moving us to a room with 3 single beds and they also offered us another room, but the kids were a bit freaked out (me too) so we ended pushing the 3 beds together and sleeping cosily together.

Overall the staff was very responsive when we told them about the snake and made no qualms about changing rooms, so its not their fault at all.

In the morning, the breakfast was hot and decent. My husband laughed out loud when he read the Lonely Planet description it must have been written long ago.

One thing to note was that as we were doing our day trek out of town, we saw a large area cleared with signs saying that it is the site of a new hotel. My only hope is that you get to see Pindaya with all the beautiful Banyan trees still intact, snake or no snake.

Room Tip: Avoid the executive suite, for families maybe you can just book a triple.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Boulder, Colo.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I really liked this hotel. The rooms were spacious. However, the bathrooms really need an update. Regardless, overall it was great. So convenient for heading to the Pindaya Caves. In hindsight, I wish we would have had our guides walk to the Caves vs. driving to the parking lot. It would have been a much more enjoyable way to experience the awesome caves.

It was also interesting to walk into the village from the hotel - it was a quick 5-10 minute walk.

We arrived on Christmas Day after flying into Heho airport after the Air Bagan flight crash -- so we treated ourselves to a relaxing hour by the pool.

Breakfast was just so-so.

Room Tip: We had a room by the pool which was nice. It had a lovely outside spot too for an afternoon cat nap...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Located not far from the wonderful Pindaya caves, this hotel offers rooms in cottage style. The double rooms are good, the single rooms need an update. The restaurant offers good food, but can be a bit slow when busy. Staff is very friendly, and will do whatever possible to make your stay pleasant. Right across the street are a few nice restaurants on the banks of the lake. All in all good value for money.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Saint-Nom-la-Breteche, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Well spaced individual bungalows pretty gardens lovely large swimming pool. Good sized room ,well furnished with a strange rather unfinished looking bathroom but it functioned well enough. Very average breakfast particularly if you are not keen on rice/noodles at that time of the day. Orange squash, underdone toast and jam , and fruit were about it. Shabby dining room too. Probably the best place to stay for the Pindaya caves but the chanting from the nearby monastery during the night was tiresome

• Stayed November 2012
Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

If you want a quiet place to stay, Pindaya, rather than Kalow, is a good place to stay and Conqueror Resort is a great choice of a hotel.

I spent one night here as part of my tour package; so I don't know about the cost of the cottage. I had a superior room, and it was quite superior--large, clean, nicely decorated. The patio off the back is a great place to relax in the evening or morning--or any other time if you stay longer. The grounds are lovely, and the view of the mountain and monastery/cave is beautiful. I didn't plan to swim, but I walked to look at the pool. The "dirt" in it is droppings from the trees; so I wouldn't call it dirty. I would probably choose to swim with my head above water.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Dinner was quite nice, although breakfast was disappointing, as I'm not an egg lover and that was the only choice.

Since it's out of town, the hotel is very quiet. It's an easy walk to town, and the lake is nice to visit and walk around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Conqueror Hotel? Share your experiences!