“Great and very friendly place !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kong Keo Guesthouse & Tours

Kong Keo Guesthouse & Tours
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Phonsavan
Kong Keo Guesthouse & Tours
You added Kong Keo Guesthouse & Tours to your Saves list
Phonsavan, Laos   |
Ranked #5 of 19 Phonsavan B&B and Inns
Foix, France
“Great and very friendly place !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Kong Keo guesthouse ! It's a family run businness and Mr Kong, his wife and his brother are very friendly and helpfull ! The tour they offer is pretty nice too and if you choose the option 2 with the included dinner you'll really enjoed the food. It cost about 140.000 kip. My grilfriend and I got a nice room (quite basic) for 50.000 / night.
You can spend the evening next to a fire drinking beers (10.000 kip) and ask to your hosts to play some guitar.
Just so you know, if you want to take the night bus to Hanoi (at 2 am) they can book seats for you but it doesn't take 12hours as everybody seems to think. It's more about 20 hours !!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vientiane, Laos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

The room was not really nice but simple and clean with own bathroom for 50.000 kip. I liked the sitting facilities in the small garden in front of my room (number 35). Quite surroundings besides a cock. Nice staff played guitar and organized a busride to Vietnam for the same price as in the busstation - agencies or other hotels wanted to have up to 50.000 Kip more per person.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I was recommended this place and when I arrived I like how laid back and relaxing it was, plus it is not on the terrible main road. I also liked the hut accommodation style, the sit around the fire and chat atmosphere plus the nice garden. Look Mr Kong has his days but he is a character and a half and will make you laugh your pants off, his family run business is very Lao style. Yes the hot water is not HOT more like warm to cool but is it really that important? If you are a backpacker you will be used to things not always being that straight forward lol. If you have an issue tell him or Phonexai straight away and they will try to assist the best they can. His tour # 2 run by his uncle was fine for me really enjoyed the waterfall trek, (watch out for leeches after the rains) the markets were also a highlight.
Beers and chats around the fire are well worth the stay. Price of huts appear to vary as I read the other reviews but I paid $60.000 kip and it was just a day after Pii Mai Lao New Year.

Room Tip: Hut 3 was fine for me
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Braga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Mr. Kong insulted us unprovoked, we did not respond, next his staff member pushed my girlfriend out of the way and both of them came at me, while I had 15kg on my back. Remaining tourists intervened and pushed them away. If you choose to live your life in a violent way, at least have some honour and let others defend themselves. Also while he was shouting, some of the stuff sounded quite racist and xenophobic.

Apart from that, when we got there, the music was roaring, which gave us some doubts. We were trusting Lonely Planet review that it was a fun place, so we stayed, even though they seemed more concerned with their own fun than the guests'.

There was no hot water, even though they say there is. The room had a mouldy smell, especially the mattress, which was not very good and there were lots of dead bugs on the walls. All this for 80.000 kip

On the main street there is White Orchid, where you get a clean freshly painted room, hot water and nice staff for 60.000 kip. Now why Lonely Planet recommends Kong Keo I don't know, the rooms are not spartan, they are dirty and neglected.

Room Tip: On the main street there is White Orchid, where you get a clean freshly painted room, hot water and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I went by the Lonely Planet guide, and had a great stay at Kong Keo Guesthouse.
The room rate was fair - 60,000kip for two people (50,000 for one) for an average room, decent bed, hot water (irratic hot water service so ask to be shown how to use the system first).
The atmosphere of the place is chilled and laid back, there is a fire pit made from an old cluster bomb which they light each night, and there is a drink fridge from which you can take drinks as you wish.
Phon Xai, the young english student/receptionist speaks fantastic english and is alot of fun. He's more than willing to sit and have a beer, practice his english, play guitar and sing by the fire, and is also very funny. He was extremely helpful with anything we wanted - booking bus tickets, tours etc.
There were other backpackers staying at the guesthouse, and together we all booked one of the Kong Keo tours (you need a minimum of 3 or 4 people for their tours so if you can band together with other people it helps) They offer 5 or 6 different tours, but number 2 is most popular apparently. We decided on number two, and for 150,000 kip each we had a fantastic day tour with an english speaking guide who was very knowledgeable. We visited bomb sites, visited a village that makes use of old bomb scraps and shells, did a big waterfall treck and swim, and visited one of the Plain of Jars sites.
I'd recommend Kong Keo to anyone going to Phonsavan, and I hope to go back there soon!
Thank you to Phon Xai for making our stay so much better.

Room Tip: Ask to be shown how to use the hot water prior to using; sounds silly; but the water can go from bei...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

This was only place I could find a room during Hmong New Year, first room is brick built at 100,000 and second night in hut at 80,000, prices higher than I normally paid but Hong New Year. Ist night was fine, 2nd night the room not so good, rock hard bed and room needs some maintanence with broken window in bathroom roof. Staff were friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

The cheapest option in central Phonsavanh when I visited. Having visited during Hmong New Year, most hotels hike up their prices and this was the most reasonable place to stay. I had a double room in the brick building for 80.000 kip, less value for money than my fancy guesthouse in Luang PRabang, but it was local high season.

Apart from the bed being a bit soft and the mosquito screens having holes, oh, and the room lights being a bit dim, I cannot fault it. This is a very simple place, but it was reasonably clean, fresh bed sheets, clean bathroom, hot water - and very firendly with lots of other travellers to chat to around a fire made from an old cluster bomb. The place appeared to be run by two young women, one of whom spoke English, very friendly and helpful.

I did not make enquiries about a tour but booked with some people I met on my minibus - a standard tour to all three sites with a few extras should cost no more than 150.000 kip - buy a 'private tour' and you get the same trip but much less social! There were plenty of places trying to sell private tours, so it pays to club together with some people. Of course the sites can be visited independently althoughI would not fancy bumping around on a motorbike/tuk tuk just for the sake of saivng a couple of dollars, and apart from Site 1, the sites are not well signposted. 4 or 5 sites are now open so it is worth to ask for those who are interested int the jars - Site 4 is a day's hike to a village, apparantly.

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Kong Keo Guesthouse & Tours? Share your experiences!