“Great location with stunning views” 4 of 5 stars

Ban Sabai Riverside Bungalow
Sisavang Street | ban viengkeo, Vangvieng District, Vang Vieng, Laos   |
Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Vang Vieng
Brisbane, Australia
“Great location with stunning views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed for three nights in a cosy, rustic bungalow next to the pool. The staff were really nice in particular Mr Taiy who was very welcoming and friendly. We had breakfast on the terrace with spectacular views of the Namsong river with the limestone karsts in the background. Breakfast was great with a few options to choose from. It was really peaceful because it was well away from the noisy backpacker area.but still close enough to the centre of town. On the downside - the bungalow really was rustic - no fridge, no TV and it wasn't insect proof. Do make use of the mosquito net. We were also disturbed by the sound of a large gecko barking in the middle of the night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMINTHIRA, General Manager at Ban Sabai Riverside Bungalow, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Suzie,

I was very glad to meet you and i am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast selection.
There are a lot of traditional hotels in town and we decided to be different and create small bungalows in the middle of a lush garden. We also chose not to put TVs in the rooms so people could relax, enjoy the stunning view and spot butterflies passing by,

I wish you safe journeys,

Tai,

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Went here for lunch by myself. The dining area is beautiful, right on the river with gorgeous views. Unfortunately my dining experience was marred by atrociously bad service -- some of the worst I've encountered anywhere in the world. When I arrived I said hello to the staff and took a seat at an open table. 10 minutes passed and I still hadn't been given a menu. I should have left at this point, but went up the counter to say "can I please have the menu". Finally 5 min later, I got one. 5 min later, I was able to order. Mind you, the place is not busy, just me and a family of 5 at another table. Anyway, I ordered a stir fry, some seasonal fruit, and a beer. It took 20 min to receive my beer, and worse still they brought the wrong one (a lager instead of dark, despite my clearly pointing out the dark one on the menu). 30 min after that, I finally get my stir fry. I finish that and am still waiting on my seasonal fruit. Literally should take a minute to make that -- cutting up a couple pieces of pineapple and watermelon -- but no, somehow it was taking more than an hour! I had to get up, walk to the counter again and ask for it to be brought. Finally, it too came. Next I went up the counter to pay (knowing that otherwise I'd be there for even more hours). When I got to the counter, the lady put up here finger in my face is to say "just a minute" as she was sorting through something else on the computer. No big deal under normal circumstances, but given how long I had waited for everything else, it took it as a bit of an affront. No apologies or anything. Too bad the service is so poor because the view is breathtaking. Would never return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GMINTHIRA, General Manager at Ban Sabai Riverside Bungalow, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you to take the time to review our restaurant.
I am truly sorry that you have had a bad experience at our restaurant.
We always strive for the an excellent customer service and we are well aware that prompt action is a very important part of it.
Unfortunately, in your case there must have been a miscommunication that has caused a long waiting time.
I can assure you that I will meet with my staff to discuss your comments.
Your detailed feedback helps us to learn and improve.

Tai,
Ban Sabai
Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

we checked in with 3 mature couples, cosy wooden structured bungalows which need some overhaul, if you sleep without AC the moskitos come in everywhere, anyway we slept well with AC and enjoyed our stay, the riverside terrace restaurant is good and the views are breathtaking

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Franz Josef, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

A fabulous stay at Ban Sabai Bungalows the views of the river and karst mountains while having dinner and drinks (and breakfast) were gorgeous. We had two peaceful nights there and really enjoyed our stay. Top marks for the friendly crew.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Peppermint Grove Beach WA Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Enjoyed several peaceful nights in a delightful bungalow with private deck over looking the pool, river and karsts. Drinks watching the sunset will remain a highlight of our time in Laos. Staff friendly and helpful and happy to see Vang Vieng was not the party capital we heard it might be. Do not pass up the chance to see this district.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This place is a pretty decent choice for Vang Vieng. It's a little more pricey ($35/night) than many of the other places in town, which was good because it kept the drunk backpackers away. The view of the river is beautiful. When we ate breakfast at the restaurant the sun was still coming up and it was incredible. The rooms are just fine. Maybe a little nicer than most for this part of the world. The wifi was up and down as was the hot water but that's normal for Laos.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This little gem was a quiet oasis located near the main area. i stayed in a river view bungalow with a lovely bathroom and view. Fresh baguettes with coffee and homemade pineapple jam every morning made my day. The reception staff are very friendly and the breakfast area which included a second-storey terrace overlooking the mountains and river made me wish i could sit there the whole afternoon instead of going back to Vientienne.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ban Sabai Riverside Bungalow? Share your experiences!