“Off Roading with "Uncle Tom"” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Uncle Toms is a dirt bike tour operator offering tours and riding tuition (for total beginners) in the Vang Vieng region of Laos PDR. All bikes are under one year old, 125cc four stroke trail bikes. British operator. The bikes can carry two people. Always best to book in advance due to limited places each day. Training is limited to two persons at one time and open to anyone over 5 feet 5 inches(165cm)on the full sized bikes,but we have one smaller bike for anyone who is a bit smaller. Due to the rapid changes recently in Vang Vieng town,we have moved location, now we are based in the amazing 'Blue Lagoon Resort' which is 20 kilometers south of Vang Vieng town, offering lakeside activities, jetski's, kite and windsurfing etc,on a lake which is 52 kilometers long.How to get here: Situated 23kms South of Vang Vieng in the village of Ban Tha Heua & our entrance is opposite the gas station(only one in the village). please book in advance. Thank you.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
9 attraction reviews
“Off Roading with "Uncle Tom"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had never ridden a bike before. Tom was extremely patient with me and walked me through the basics , and showed me how to do things on the bike at the end of the day that were frankly impossible at the beginning of the day.

Tom is located in a town 20 odd km outside Vang Vieng. If you are not interested in the frat boy atmosphere in Vang Vieng and want to do something different, Tom is the guy to go to.
If you have never ridden a bike before, definitely do the full day tour. Considering the usual prices in Vang Vieng, you would probably say that he is expensive (I know I thought that at first.) But at the end of the day, it was totally worth it.

Visited October 2013

Bangkok, Thailand
3 attraction reviews
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Uncle tom's trails is located in a beautiful resort with a big lake, near vang vieng.
The tour was at a very good price, and we spent 4 huors learning and riding.. Tom made riding a bike easy, and the ride at the end of the trip was very beautiful and exciting.
Tom was a patient teacher who teaches with a passion for riding, and we spent the rest of the day at the resort riding jet ski's and swimming in the resort lake. We even got to feed monkeys on a tiny island in the middle of the lake.
Recommended for anyone in Vang Vieng who wants to have a good time!

Visited August 2013
5 attraction reviews
“Great day and teacher”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Tom taught me to ride a dirtbike within half a day which I was amazed with. I ride an automatic motorbike at home but have never tried out to ride a manual dirtbike. Tom's very patient, always makes sure that you are safe and brings you to beautiful places in the Vang Vieng countryside you wouldnt find on your own. I enjoyed the ride a lot and can highly recommend it to adventure seekers in Vang Vieng. Tom's a bit outside Vang Vieng city but a shared taxi brings you to Ban Tha Heua for 10.000 Kip per person. Dont go there with a tuk tuk since they will rip you off. Also nice: Tom is situated next to a stunning lake where you can relax after the ride. You can even stay in the Nirvana guesthouse there - I stayed there for a couple of nights and still cant get over the amazing sunsets at the lake and the relaxed atmosphere there. Ban Tha Heua is different to Vang Vieng but much more authentic. Tom will bring you to local places - great fun and you'll experience true Lao hospitality! Try it out ;-)

Visited September 2013
Phnom Penh
“Truly memorable and great value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My Sony (11yo) and I were staying in Vang Vieng and went down to Tom's for a half day, which I had judged to be the limit of my Son's endurance.

Getting there from Vang Vieng was easy - I hired a bike in Vang Vieng (Kip 30k for 7am to 8pm) and rode down there, it took around 30 minutes of fairly sedate riding. Tom's had given us directions, which were good and we did not get lost.

I have been biking for a few years, but have never tried dirt-biking before and my Son had never ridden before at all. Tom taught my 11yo to ride in a matter of minutes. Tom's instruction was excellent, both for my Son and for me.

My son was given a practice on the local football pitch (see pic) - where there was nothing to hit, and then we went "off road". It was the rainy season & so the terrain gave lots of fun. The bikes were good and well prepared, the company was pleasant, the countryside awesome.... ...and nobody fell off!

A truly memorable experience and at USD 55 for us both, great value. Recommended 100%.

There is a restaurant and usual facilities. The coffee there was the best I found in the whole of Laos!

Note to Tom: Next time we'll do at least a full day.

Note to readers: expect to get dirty!

Visited August 2013
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“A must do in Vang Vieng!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

What better way to get off the beaten track and see the real Laos. My boyfriend and I booked a tour with Uncle Tom back in April (this review is mega late, apologies!) and we are so glad that we did. A fantastic day and Tom is such a nice guy, really made us feel safe and confident during the whole ride. He's based in a beautiful location where you can easily spend a few hours relaxing afterwards and go for a swim too. Highlight of our stay in Vang Vieng!

Sorry its taken us so long,
Kelly and Nathan :-)