I had something of a dilemma when trying to assign a rating to this guest house and hope that you will find my honest feedback useful.
To start with we stayed in the low season for two nights. There is much competition in town given the lower tourist numbers however you wouldn’t have thought so when we spoke with the guest house staff member in the adjoining reception/shop/tour service. Despite asking for two singles and a double room for at least two nights she was not prepared to budget on price (and why should she some of you may be asking).
At the time of writing, the charges were as follows: 120,000kip for an aircon river-view double down to 70,000kip for a fan only non-river facing double with a few options in between. The reality is that this is at the top end of guest house prices in the town and therefore should be reflected in the approach of management. This is where the dilemma on scoring kicks in:-
- The rooms are adequate size.
- We had a ground floor river facing view (room 201), which benefitted from plenty of light as there are windows on two sides (one facing the river with the other facing another hotel. We also had a balcony even though we were on the ground floor.
- The room has a TV with the additional benefit of both aircon (which was not particularly amazing – we had it set on 16c all the time and it certainly wasn’t working to 16c) and a fan. The latter is above the bed and does a good job.
- The guest house is very near to the end of the tubing run on the river which is pretty handy after the 4km float in the tractor inner tube rings.
- Staff attitude from both the reception staff, which we think were probably the owners (or at least the managers), leaves a lot to be desired. You felt like you were an intrusion into their lives and not paying customers. We have been travelling for 6 weeks so far in SE Asia and this is the only time we have felt like this.
- There is no Wi-Fi, no proper safety deposit box in the room (only a locked drawer in a moveable wooden bedside cabinet), no fridge and, best of all, no cupboards/ wardrobes to hang up your clothes !! Remember, you are paying top-end guest house prices for this !!
- The bathroom had not been cleaned after the last guest had vacated. As a previous TripAdvisor comment had referred to, there were numerous insects squashed on the bathroom wall (I counted at least 8 squashed insects on the wall and a cobweb with another 6 insects) after we had checked in.
- The hot water was tepid at best, even on the hottest setting.
- The hotel backs on to the river, which is great during the day but a NIGHTMARE in the evening as music blares out from the speakers of the outside Bucket Bar until 3:30am. At the time of writing, there was also building work taking place between the guest house and the river, which starts at 8am. The combined affect is that you are unlikely to get a decent night’s sleep.
- We stayed 2 nights and our room was not cleaned during our stay. When we spoke to the reception staff upon returning to our room on the second day (at 7pm), they said that we had to ask for it to be cleaned. Note: there is not “please clean/ don’t clean my room” sign and no one mentioned this when we booked in. We therefore had to ask for clean towels and continue with insects encrusted on the bathroom wall.
In light of the price (we did ultimately get a 10,000kip reduction per night after bartering), and the positive and negatives listed above I have to sadly suggest booking elsewhere. It’s a real shame as this could be such a good little guest house, especially as it looks very new. Hopefully, the owners of the guest house will read this post and make the necessary changes without trying to suggest that my post is completely incorrect (which it certainly isn’t).
TIP: In the low season there are plenty of other options available so wait until you get to the town and play one off against the other. We saw prices as low as 20,000kip for dormitory accommodation and 30,000kip for a single.
- Also Known As:
- Grand View Guest House Hotel Vang Vieng
- Grand View Guest House Hotel
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Grand View Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.