“Amazing view, clean rooms, okay price” 5 of 5 stars

You added Grand View Guest House to your Saves list
Grand View Guest House
Vang Vieng, Laos   |
Ranked #30 of 82 Vang Vieng B&B and Inns
“Amazing view, clean rooms, okay price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights here, rooms were clean and cleaned each day, view was spectacular. Had no problems with the staff they were all very helpful! Price was a little bit high but you are paying for the view so that's understandable. Would happily go there again.

• Stayed August 2013

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dresden, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 days in Vang Vieng and stayed at the Grand View Guest House. Since the hostel was right on the river , we had some anxiety regarding the night noise but this did not happen. Since almost no tourists were in the village the restaurant next to the hostel closed at about 11pm or 12 pm. The only blemish on the current hostel is the construction site next to it.We had a room on the 1st floor and the artisans had a super view of our balcony. The site was disturbing for us but only in the morning when we wanted to sleep in.not later than 9am and the construction work went on. Well, price and performance were ok, but breakfast at the hostel would have been nice. we had to go every morning once in search of food. But if we should come in the high season once again, I would not choose this hostel again.

• Stayed August 2013
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Please avoid this guesthouse. We booked it for one night and when we came back from the bar, there were cockroaches crawling everywhere in the room, we even had one on the bedhead. So we did not sleep in the room. And the next morning, the hotel manager or owner did not even try to understand us. He said that if we weren't happy that it's our problem and if we don't pay him for the night he would keep our passports. He even told us that he knew he had cockroaches in his hotel and we spoke to a few people and nobody had cockroaches in their room in Vang Vieng, so it is not common like he told us.
Don't go there!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

As a tripadvisor addict, I take every review with a grain of salt, as there are many factors involved in a persons experience at a hotel. This is  my first time writing a review, and I feel it is necessary considering the disrespect and maltreatment I received at the Grandview. You must trust me when I urge you NOT to stay at the Grandview. Our time in Vang Vieng was irrevocably tainted by the horrible staff and the way we were treated. After speaking with other guests of different ages and nationalities, it is obvious that we were not targeted for this abuse, rather, it was a universal feeling.

We arrived with no information about accommodation in Vang Vieng, but had heard our friends were at the Grandview guesthouse. It was easy to find and looked nice -  nicer than what we are used to as 20-somethings on a backpacker's budget. The manager showed us a room and was initially  extremely cordial and polite. We booked 3 rooms between everyone in our group. The rooms were quite nice and had a great view of the river and mountains beyond.

Literally as soon as we handed over our money the manager and the rest of the staff began to treat us completely differently. He was rude, attempted to overcharge us for everything, from water to laundry to TOILET PAPER. This huge hotel, decorated with high quality, solid wood furniture at 100,000 kip per night, charges for toilet paper (even though we were staying for a week). I often give people the benefit of the doubt, but time after time this man and his family did whatever they could to make our stay in Vang Vieng harder. We would have moved hotels, however, we were there during the rocket festival and the town was packed.

Here are some solid examples of life at the Grandview-
- Charging for toilet paper
- upon arrival, we were told air con was included in the room price, but as soon as we paid and asked for the remote he said it would be an extra charge (20,000 kip)
- we had some laundry done, and I had a few items missing when it was returned. Not only was it not folded, but it was wrinkled and just tossed into a bag and smelled musty. I had to have it redone next door. When I asked where my missing items were, the manager laughed in my face and said I could go through the other bags of dirty laundry if I wanted to find my clothes.
- when leaving, we asked for a quote for a bus to Vientiane. He gave us a price twice as high as any other tour operator or hotel in town.
- outright mocking and being treated with disrespect time after time

Unless it is 100% unavoidable, do not stay at the Grandview. This place has potential, but the way you will be treated is not worth the view (there are many hotels with the exact same views along the river).

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I would like to start this review off by saying that this hotel has some potential. Except this potential has been completely thwarted by the audacity and greed of the owner. When I first arrived at this hotel I was with a group of people, and we were meeting friends who had communicated the price of their hotel room to us. The owner gave us a higher price than we had been told and said there were no other rooms available at the lower price. He also told us that air conditioning was included in the price and later denied that part of the conversation so we had to pay extra. The first morning I woke up to a huge cluster of bug bites on my legs and my friends legs were basically covered. We spent 6 days at this hotel while waiting for the rocket festival to take place and I can safely say that I have never encountered someone who was such an extortionist as this man. We were charged extra for toilet paper because apparently you are only rationed one roll a day (even when in a room with three people). We also needed our room to be cleaned and he refused. This was due to the fact that their policy is to only clean the rooms every two days, and only when you request it. I had moved into a different room and needed a new bottom bed sheet and the owner handed me one that may as well have been dripping wet from the wash, and he "did not have any more clean towels" so i had to dry myself with a tank top. There was also a piece of my friends clothing that went missing from the laundry and he suggested that she go through other people's laundry to find it !
He was constantly changing prices for everything and everyone. It made absolutely no sense. He also arranged tours and quoted us prices that were much higher than any of the travel agents in the area by a long shot. If we had a problem with something he would basically look at you like you're an idiot while devising ways to rip you off in more ways. He kept trying to make us pay for our rooms up front rather than when we were checking out which was a huge pain because we were there for a week. Basically, all of the conversations I had with this man left me in complete disbelief that someone can actually be getting any business at all. He does not care about people. He only cares about money and any way that he can cut corners, he will do it. I only hope that this review will stop someone from going to his hotel ever again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Good value nice room paid 400baht per night overlook road ! Have to go lobby to get wifi ! Manager ok but a little bit grumpy ! 2 talking birds were fun to play with ! Very good location would stay there again next visit ! Cheers

Montevideo, Uruguay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I WAS THERE and you can see the coments. with surprise i saw the mail with the one of the B&B, IS IMPOSIBILIT. The manager and owner are very ordinary, don t give good service and only push you ,,, we are guests ! The view is amazing, but ALL THE HOTELS HAVE THE SAME VIEW. I have many inconveniences with them, not have problems with safe but as you can see other coments many people have problems with the luggage and others. If you stll like go............ go the top floor.T

Room Tip: Top floor.