Returned home yesterday from a six day stay at Le Telfair. My wife and I agree that we'd go back to Mauritius in a heatbeat, but probably not to Le Telfair.
First, the postives:
1. Our room was lovely. We had a great view, the place was spacious and luxurious and we could not complain about any aspect of our stay there.
2. The situation is idyllic. The south of the island is less developed and therefore less spoiled. The beach is great and so is the golf course. It really felt like paradise.
Second, the negatives:
1. The service is awful. Service at meals was desperately slow and you often had to ask for things more than once. There was at least a 15 minute wait to receive a drink ordered, or proper cutlery, or whatever. It seemed like the staff were overwhelmed even when te restaurant was almost empty. Not one of the service staff anywhere in the hotel seemed particularly enthusiastic. It is surprising how this can dent your enjoyment of your stay.
2. The food wasn't terrible ALL the time, but wasn't good enough either. Some meals were quite nice but on the whole the food was too complicated, not very well prepared, often cold, mostly tastless and not especially enjoyable. After the first few days we started eating more bread rolls and less of what was served on the plate. One meal was grilled Marlin and this could be the worst fish dish I have ever eaten - it was cold, chewy and dry and tasted of nothing at all. We were on an all-inclusive package but felt disappointed and actually second-rate when we were seated seperately from other guests and given a limited menu to select from.
It was such a pity that their potential 5-star facility is wasted on experiences that are more akin to a 3-star establishment. It all left us feeling a bit cheated. Come on, Le Telfair, take actual responsibility for guest experiences instead of the excuses in your comments on other reviews. Until you do, I assure you we won't be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort offers a variety of luxury accommodation in a discrete village design with 20 different villas of 6 or 8 rooms. 158 rooms and suites have beautiful sea views or river views with floor to ceiling French windows, private balconies or verandas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heritage Le Telfair Golf And Spa Resort
- Heritage Le Telfair Golf Hotel Bel Ombre
- Le Telfair Hotel
- Hotel Le Telfair
- Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort Mauritius/Bel Ombre