“worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Bel Ombre
Dover, United Kingdom
“worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

a golfers delight,although our wives do not play they would get the hotel shuttle bus or walk to the course and meet us for lunch which is included in the package and another place to eat.
the food here deserves a mention. the buffet with chef specials every night ,blue infinity on the beach , could not fault it ,would go again just for the food.
Swimming in the sea a bit awkward with the current flowing through the coral reef.
The spa needs a mention.my wife goes to quite a few in the uk and she said it was one of the best for treatments she has had.they offer a free one for 50 odd mins which we all took up .excellent.
Even though there was quite a few weddings there it did not affect our chill on the beach or lunch by the pools.the bar had live music in the evenings and was closed by midnight.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Mr and Mrs,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your holidays and that the team managed to exceed your expectations. I will pass on your appreciation to the entire team and special mention will be extended to the Spa team which you mentioned as being a great team.

I do hope to get to welcome you here again very soon.

1,636 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
mauritius
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I recently ran a two week mixed pairs golf tournament for Chaka Travel at the Heritage Golf Club (23 - 28 September) and based on the comments from my group of 40, this was the best course in Mauritius, with fantastic greens and fairways, helpful smiling staff who simply could not do enough for you and world class practice facilities. From my own point of view, they went out of their way to assist with the running of the tournament and even produced a surprise celebrity guest for our end of tournament prize giving and chipping competition. We look forward to coming back next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

Allow me, first of all, to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay with the fantastic golf group from Chaka Travel. We really had much pleasure welcoming all the Mixed pairs group and we are looking forward to renew this experience next year.

I will pass on your appreciation to the Golf team and to the rest of the team too.

Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

had a fantastic stay at the Awali from 27/08/13-10/09/13. The hotel was beautiful, the grounds were stunning and overall we had a brilliant holiday. The only small thing I would change would be to have a heated swimming pool as theyre rather cold for toddlers (although the Telfair had one we could use) but apart from this superb stay! The staff were truly amazing, every single person provided impecable customer service and Joelle and Julio were the best with out 9 month old daughter. The hotel provided freshly pureed food for her lunch and dinner and had them delivered to our room which truly was amazing! The hotel also proided a travel cot, steam sterliizer, bottle warmer and baby bath for our little one! FANTASTIC!

We also got married during our stay at the Awali and our wedding coordintor Karishma was great. She went through every little detail or the big day, hair, make up, arranged for our outfits to be steamed the day before and delivered back to us and it all went incredibly smoothly! No hitches at all except for our baby crying throughout the whole ceremony!

Food was also fantastic, we mostly ate in the buffet restaurant and can truthfully say its the best all inclusive buffet restaurant iv ever eaten in! There was so much variety, all meals were (kind of a la carte) very well presented and delicious!

All in all, had a wonderful stay, would return in a heartbeat!!

Special thanks to all staff at Awali for making our wedding/holiday one we will never forget!!!!

Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me, first of all, to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay and for having chosen the Resort to organise your wedding. I am glad to read that the entire team managed to exceed your expectations and made your wedding day a most memorable one.

I will pass on your appreciation to the whole team and special mention will be extended to Kareshma your wedding coordinator, Joelle and Julio.

Please give a sweet kiss to Ella on our behalf and we all would like to see her back among us soon.

Our best personal regards to you.

Hoevelaken, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at the Awali from Aug. 26th to Sept. 9th, with our 2-year-old son. The resort is located really nice, with seaview from our room and beautiful gardens, pools and beaches. I can describe our holiday in just two words: very relaxed.
The things we liked most: a good amount of guests (not busy, not quiet), the Africa-inspired buildings and rooms (all well maintained and very tidy), excellent food (the a la carte as well as the buffet-restaurants exceeded our expectations), and the very, very friendly staff.
Talking about staff: they really made 'the difference'. A big compliment to the them: they -without exception- were very kind, really cared about our well-being, and were very friendly to our toddler. A special 'thank you' to Cindy from housekeeping: we returned to a completely clean and tidy room each day, no matter how much of a mess it was when we left the room. This exceptional service was just fantastic, and really added to our perfect holiday experience.

Room Tip: If you travel with children: ask for a room close to Timomo (kid's club). These rooms are furthe...
Dear Mr and Mrs,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your holidays and that the team managed to exceed your expectations. I will pass on your appreciation to the entire team and special mention will be extended to Cindy, your room maid.

Please pass on our greetings to Xander and do wish him a wonderful Happy Birthday on the 27th of November.

Our best personal regards to you all.

Suffolk, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just returned from 9 days at the Awali, the location , the staff and the facilities were amazing. We don't usually say we will visit a location again but this we will certainly do.
The previous comment by Peter K sums up our experience as well. Weather in September averaged 25, we had one half day of rain.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr and Mrs,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay and thank you for your appreciation.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you here again soon.

My best personal regards,

Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We travelled to the Awali for my wife's 40th birthday with our 2 children aged 10 and 8, staying here from 10th August for 2 weeks. I booked using trailfinders who recommended this hotel for us to celebrate a special occasion. I made the booking without checking tripadvisor's reviews and then spent the best part of the year running up to the holiday amusing myself by reading other people's reviews. I must say after analysing the best part of 100+ reviews i was filled with a mix of apprehension, excitement and nervousness having spent not an inconsiderable sum of money on a relatively extravagant summer holiday for us - I guess the lesson learnt here is don't read too many reviews and take everything people say with a pinch of salt as opinions and tastes vary greatly.

I could not recommend this hotel enough, the setting is simply stunning, the food and drinks high quality and plentiful but the staff here are something else. To read criticism of this hotel and in particular the staff is unfathomable. Did these people really stay at the same hotel? Before arriving here we stayed in Dubai at another 5* hotel, and what i would say is that the Awali is a far more relaxed 5* experience than a Dubai 5* one. I really felt the staff cared and were pleased to look after us rather than the phoniness of forced servitude. I can only assume the negative reviews are made by pretty negative people who probably find happiness a difficult thing to come by! I seem to remember one bad review bemoaning coral on the beach (surely not on an island with a coral reef?!) and another complaining about the current in the sea! Maybe these people are better suited to holiday in the plasticity of Dubai or perhaps Disney!

The All Inclusive option is fantastic and really not tricky to master. The main hotel restaurant is the "Balafon" where you can eat breakfast or dinner without booking. This is buffet style, with different cook stations. Each evening they have different themes, the Mauritian theme was my favourite. Yes there are birds in the morning, but the restaurant is open air style, and if a few birds get you as upset as some of the reviews here then i think you really have some serious problems in life! For lunch you can eat in the main bar "Zenzi-bar", the golf club, Infinity Blue or the C-Club without booking. Dinner can be taken in the Infinity Blue or C-club but you have to book as there aren't loads of tables. We never had any issues booking a table to eat in the morning or for that the evening. There are some drinks not included on the AI package, but it is pretty clear what is and what isn't and to be honest there was nothing that i wanted that wasn't on the AI list! If you wanted to use the other restaurants in the telfair then you get a credit but we never felt the need to try this out as the food was plenty varied and high quality for us.

- Kids club was excellent, they take the kids from 8 in the morning til 11 at night and you can come and go as you please.
- Golf course - fantastic, the most beautiful course i have ever played, quite challenging though, so don t expect an easy round! par 3 course perfect pitch and putt, which allows kids on too!
- Heated pool in the telfair (at the boundary between the two hotels) lovely
- Weather nice in August, 24C every day, light warm breeze, sea a bit cooler than the med in summer, slight current running parallel to the beach, but i had no worry for my children swimming in it as you only drift down the beach a bit. Great for drift snorkeling!

There are so many positive memories for us with this hotel and our holiday i can strongly recommend it. We certainly will be visiting again

Room Tip: Ground floor have the benefit of a back door to the garden and beach. Blocks 5000 and 6000 are locat...
Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your family break holiday. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay and I was very happy to get to know you and your lovely family.

I will pass on your appreciation to my entire team who is excited to know that you will be back very soon. The Chef sends his regards to you all and the Timomo Kids club is just preparing the return of Benjamin and Lily.

We all wish you a lovely end of year 2013 and we will be waiting for you next year.

Our best personal regards to you all and big kisses to Benjamin and Lily.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We visited for our honeymoon in 2012. The weather was poor and this obviously put a downer on things.
Having travelled so far we expected something really special and it was nice but I don't think it was worth going so far. In hindsight a trip to the Caribbean would have given everything we got here for a fraction of cost and travel.
Nice restaurants, bar and public areas, only wifi in bar area which is pretty poor. Golf course is fab and enjoyed playing this very much.
Rooms are nice enough not stunning for a hotel of this quality.

Birds - everywhere at breakfast this is a big issue for me - they delivered breakfast foc for us. If you are the same beware!

Could be better in summary would certainly not go back, you get sick of hearing how everyone expects to be special on their honeymoon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr and Mrs,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. It is a pity that you have been unlucky with the weather but I am happy to read that you have enjoyed the Golf course and the restaurants and bars.

In fact, sometimes the birds could be an issue as our main restaurant is an open air restaurant and despite the fact that we do have a strict bird control system we cannot eradicate them.

I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back.

Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!