“AI with extras not included” 4 of 5 stars

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Coastal Road, Bel Ombre, Mauritius 230   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Edinburgh
“AI with extras not included”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

With our carbon footprint a bit of an embarrassment over the last 12 months what the hell, whats another long flight. Our friendly travel agent found us this hotel as it checked the boxes - AI, mostly grown ups, unlimited free golf and spa treatments thrown in. Also the temperature in June is perfect British summers day or mid winter as they call it.

We arrived very early morning. Met with welcome drums and as room was not going to be ready until 11, shown to lounge and shower rooms ( luggage brought too). Nice facility as you can freshen up and change comfortably.

The room is OK size, with balcony and large bathroom. Tv channels are limited but then other than the news channel I am on holiday so don't care. In room wifi is extra and pricey. Free wifi in bar area but limited bandwidth and its funny to see how we are now so wedded to our iPad's and smartphones that everyone congregates to use the wifi and no one talks to each other.

Various restaurants but not all are inclusive. Sometimes it is difficult to tell what is and what isn't included and it is not great to have to carry around the paperwork so you know. The staff keep asking you your room number which confuses as well. The food is good quality from buffet style in the main restaurant to the very nice infinity blue restaurant with a la carte and table service. Worth booking a few times although menu is fixed weekly. We went to BOMA which is Mauritian themed night. Bit of a premium for a BBQ, dancing (albeit amusingly led by a local troupe) and a hangover inducing vanilla rum. The a la carte restaurants (including the Chateau) are only open certain nights. Worth checking this out and planning ahead.

Staff are in the whole very friendly and accommodating. Some that go that extra mile got a wee tip at the end of the holiday although not policy and there is a shared tips box.

We love to golf so we played at the Heritage Course every other day. Really nice course with different tee boxes to add difficulty. The golf buggies are not included and at £40 a they are at top end of hire charge that I have seen. You can walk the course but as with all modern courses some of the green to tee walks are quite a way. You can leave clubs with the caddymaster and they will be cleaned and made ready for your next round. The restaurant at the course is very nice and many guests who didn't golf came up just to eat. AI finishes at 2:30 though. Shame.

OK, I am not a spa person, Mrs DJ is though. The spa is quite big. Usual steam room and sauna and lots of cabins for treatments. You go for your induction and it is a bit new age babble. I was just waiting to be asked if I wanted my chakras balanced. However we stopped after agreeing our colour for the lighting during our 50 min treatment that is thrown in (massage). It actually was very relaxing although we didn't get our chosen colour.

We did one tour of the South of the Island. The glass factory tour was perfunctory (very proud of their glass hands of the famous - or in Liam Gallachers case "very" famous) as was the tour of the model ship shop, I mean craft collective. However the Indian Temple and statue of Shiva were fantastic and we had an interesting stop in Curepipe and found the market which always gives you a great flavour of a place. The 7 coloured earth stop was ok, geologists would be excited I guess. Lunch on tour was actually very good in a nice restaurant overlooking the black river gorge.

This was not an inexpensive holiday. There are lots of add ons and we did run up more of a bill than usual going AI.

Stayed June 2013
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your time in the Resort and that you have had a great experience.

I will pass on your appreciation to the whole team and we all would like to welcome you back in a close future.

My best personal regards to you..

Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just arrived home from our 10 night holiday, 2 adults and 2 children aged 20 and 16, obviously being classed as 4 adults this made the holiday quite expensive, but as a treat for my 50th birthday we were happy to push the boat out. The all inclusive plan changed after we booked the holiday so alas we didn't get all the options that we booked for, but that's life!
We were planning to do quite a lot of the extras but we found the cost for extras to be quite overpriced, we were going to try Boma but at £160 on top of the AI package for the 4 of us, just for a barbeque and a bit of fire and dancing, sorry many more things I would rather spend my hard earned cash on, and I suppose that's the thing with this resort, they assume that because you're in Mauritius you are rich beyond compare and therefore they are happy to fleece you. I have stayed 5 star before in Malaysia and the little touches we had there made it far more special.
The majority of the staff at the resort were really good, really friendly and happy smiley people, a few went the extra mile and were excellent and alas a few were as miserable as sin, we tipped the excellent ones and commented about the miserable ones, apparently you aren't supposed to tip anyone, there is a tipping box in reception for tips to be shared, only one member of staff told us this, so if you tip do it secretly so not to get the person into trouble, I believe in tipping good service so wouldn't want the shared tip option.
Room was very good and comfortable we even had a pet lizard, which I guess might have freaked some out but we didn't mind, we also didn't mind all the birds at breakfast.
Food in general was fine, we were disappointed that there weren't more Mauritian options, we ate at Infinity Blue more than the buffet as we found the standard of food better and prefer a normal 3 course meal rather than pile it high, the daily lunchtime curry at Infinity Blue was excellent, and they did bring out a birthday cake for me on the first night which was a lovely touch. The staff at Infinity were also very attentive so I would recommend booking into there as many times as you can. Pancakes every day for afternoon tea, this was quite boring and they really could do with varying the choice.
We ate for lunch in Cyan which was very nice but on AI you can only choose some options on the menu, don't know why, this seemed a bit silly. Also ate at Coast one evening, cocktails really strong and food and setting was good.
Beach lovely and we snorkelled quite a bit off the beach, yes the current is quite strong but it only takes you along the beach and not out to sea so you can always get out of the water lower down the beach and walk back. Don't forget your surf shoes though, they are invaluable with the coral.
Highlight of our holiday was the boat trip, we went out with Alex and Jack, it was booked with Hans who stands outside the Telfair, both Alex and Jack were fabulous and Jack actually got into the water with us to help us swim with the dolphins which none of the other boats seemed to do, he was a great swimmer and pulled me along to keep up with the dolphins, superb! Food on the island we went to was great too, the barbequed chicken and lobster was delicious, we paid about £280 for the 4 of us but it was well worth it. Oh and the boat that Alex and Jack have also has a toilet on board, really helpful :) They also took us fishing on the way back and my son caught some really good fish, nothing was too much trouble they were very amenable, so you can tailor the trip to what you want. The only snag with this trip was the beach hawkers on the island, they were far more in your face than the ones at the hotel beach, so you have to be very firm if you don't want to buy anything, or just go and sit on the boat out of the way once you've eaten!
Massage included in the package was excellent and we would have had an extra day at the spa but to be honest I got so fed up with all the extra charges for things I dug my heels in and decided not to pay any extra inside the hotel at all.
The holiday was good but as per their questionnaire at the end of the holiday only met expectations, didn't really exceed expectations at all which was a bit disappointing. We did have a good time but were expecting better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir and Madam,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent family holidays and also to celebrate the birthday of Mr. When it is a birthday we try always to go the extra mile as we feel that it needed to be celebrated. The Resort is on an All Inclusive concept but, yes, there are some items that are out of that experience which is chargeable if ever one would decide to have.

Being a Resort with a good mix of different nationalities we are not in a position to serve local dishes every time but we do propose a Mauritian evening once a week and always an option of Mauritian dishes during lunch and dinner.

We do have a policy for tipping which is to concentrate the offering in a tipping box at the reception as I believe and encourage team work. All staff who are tipped individually do drop the money in the tipping box which is shared among the entire team afterwards.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back soon at The Heritage Awali and do wish you a wonderful end of year.

My best personal regards,

Dalkeith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We travelled here around 27th Aug 2011 for 16nts, for the second leg of our Honeymoon. We had just been on a magical Safar at Governor’s Camp, Masai Mara in Kenya.

We arrived at night and the transfer was around 45mins in the pitch dark. Some windy roads so be aware. We were the only two in the mini-bus as we had booked private transfers. On arrival as it was the middle of the night there was no banging of the drums however the entrance with all the lighting looked very impressive! Refreshing welcome drinks were appreciated.

We had booked the All Inclusive package which included the buffet restaurant, the Infinity Blue at the beach (unlimited but needs reservation), a visit per week to the 7 colours (reservation required) and Le Chateau )one per stay). We spent most of the first week in the buffet restaurant which had a great selection of tasty treats. Infinity Blue was very nice with table service and an acoustic guitar playing singer, to set the mood, 7 Colours was very nice, with different choices from what you would normally have. We paid for a 3rd visit as we enjoyed it so much.

We had booked a Deluxe Sea View room which was a very nice room with a large bed, walk in wardrobe space with safe, mini bar, AC, sofa, bath, walk in shower, his and her wash hand basins and it also had great sea and pool views. The beach was beautiful with warm, crystal clear waters but with a very strong side-ways current. Trying to swim against this proves impossible. The swimming pools look great but as a previous review states can be a little chilly.

The hotel also has some great activities during the day. You need to reserve a time-slot in advance however but well worth a try – archery, water skiing & wake boarding, the glass bottom boat for great views of the fish on the reef, kayaks, pedalo (difficult in the strong current). I especially loved learing to water ski her and also masterd the wake boarding after a couple of attemps....

The main bar has some nice relaxed entertainment and the drinks are great. (minor complaint – service could often be slow, but that might just be me, as when I finish a drink I don’t like to sit for long without a new one.....) The good thing was that most drinks, if not all were included, even Champagne..........

The sunsets here are out of this world, and sitting with a cocktail watching the sun go down is something we enjoyed most evenings. Highly recommend Champagne cocktail or a frozen Daquari.

The weather was nice and warm most days (25 – 30 DegC) but there was a little cloud some days and it rained heavily a few times – typical weather for a tropical island.

We did a couple of trips organised by our rep –
Deep sea fishing – amazing, the other couple cancelled on the day so we ended up with the boat to ourselves, with the captain and his assistant to keep us right. We were looking for marlin, but caught some skipjack tuna and a Dorada instead – biggest fish I ever caught.
Island tour & 7 Colours trip – nice day away from the hotel to see the sights and get some great photos. We even met a couple of giant tortoises.
We also had the complimentary massage included in the AI package which was very nice.

There were a few weddings happening during our stay which looked very nice. There were also a number of Honeymooners there at the same time as us.

Overall, a very lovely stay with some very nice, friendly, polite and helpful staff. We would love to return one day......

Room Tip: Deluxe room with sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr and Mrs,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent stay. I am really glad to read that you have had a fantastic experience during your stay with us. You are very right to say that there is not much experience that can beat a wonderful sunset with a Champagne cocktail in hand.

Let me apologise for the delay at the Zenzibar, this was due to the fact that the Bar was crowded and that, sometimes, it is very difficult to deliver so many cocktails at the same time.

I will pass on your appreciation to the entire team who served you and who made your holidays a great one.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you again in a close future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked our honeymoon through Kioni for the sum of around £4700, we have never spent that much on going away before but as it is our honeymoon we wanted to go somewhere special.

As it is our honeymoon Kioni & the hotel where meant to put a bottle of bubbles and a fruit plater in our room as well as arrange a 4 x 4 excursion of the nearby nature reserve. Well, no bottle or fruit were in the room and the excursion is no longer run by the hotel, not a great start but we thought hey ho let's just get on with it.

The term "ALL INCLUSIVE" at this hotel is a very complicated and strange affair, you have a choice a two free restaurants, not five as stated & supplements are a common affair even for basic items and meals. The food at the hotel is very good offering a huge choice of fish, meat & veggie dishes.

We had a deluxe beachfront room which I cannot fault apart from the housekeeping (one day we had to ask for the room to be made up as it hadnt been done all day) and the facility's at the hotel are excellent along with most of the staff. I do think tipping goes along way here, I was going to leave a tip at the end of our stay as they have a big collection but it seems the more you tip the better service you get, especially in the bar which I find wrong!

In short I have given the hotel 4* as it was a really great experience but it didn't blow us away, and for the money we paid to stay here I thought it should off.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr and Mrs,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays. I am very sorry for the misunderstanding but our All Inclusive package does not have the 4x4 trip and other offerings as you would have thought. You have normally a choice of three restaurants, 2 in the Resort and one at the C Beach Club and you also do have an invitation to our Chateau restaurant.

Thank you for the comments concerning the tips. Our policy is to have a common box at the reception as I do believe in team work and do distribute that amount to front liners as well as back of the scene staff.

I do hope to get the chance to welcome you back soon.

Larkhall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

What a beautiful place from the moment we arrived it was paradise. Spacious rooms with fantastic bathroom all in beautiful lush gardens. The staff are excellent and make you feel so welcome. Restaurants really good particularly Infinity Blu delicious food and waiter who always made sure my wine glass was full.It's worth the trip to the Château for a different night out. The bar staff were brilliant Yasin asked on arrival our preference for drinks and we had a week of tasting the most exquisite cocktails, Very attentive staff never had to wait for service. Brilliant standard of all inclusive. The spa was wonderful and the free treatment was a 50 minute full body massage heaven. I would definitely recommend this resort and hope to visit again.

Room Tip: Check rooms which have lovely view of pool and beach
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir and Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays. We are really glad to read that you have had a wonderful experience and that you are already thinking of coming back.

I will pass on your appreciation to the entire team who is looking forward to welcoming you back.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had a great holiday at the Awali and would definitely go again. The general attitude of the staff and the culture of superb customer service of Mauritius definitely added to our enjoyment. We felt welcome, understood and spoilt.

The experience was as good as perfect, but here are a few little things that I thought would be useful to know for those who are planning to go:

- the rooms are all the same (in size, layout and outfit). there are only 5 suites and 1 villa, which are normally booked out. There are no interconnecting rooms. If you are travelling with children, as we were, there aren't too many options as to where to put the kids.
- there is no heated pool at the Awali, which with top temperatures of 22 during the day and 16 at night meant VERY cold water
- reception staff were generally most unhelpful. We found that we got the best advice and service from the staff in the restaurants who were really empathetic

Room Tip: Try to get a 2-for-the-price-of-1 room offer when you are travelling as a family
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr and Mrs,

Greetings from The Heritage Awali. Allow me to thank you for having chosen my Resort for your recent holidays. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your experience and that you are already thinking of your next trip back.

Just a small information concerning the rooms. We do have connecting rooms to accommodate families, as we are marked to also be a family hotel. We do not have them in the beach front category but we do have them in other categories.

I will pass on your appreciation to the entire staff and we all do hope to get to welcome you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed from the 5 th June for two weeks. We flew with british airways the flight outbound was good the flight home the service was extremely poor the crew just couldnt be bothered and were actually quite rude, I would not fly with them again. The hotel was gorgeous all staff were lovely and always took the time to speak to my little boy who is nearly 3 and he loved the attention. The buffet restaurant was very good but infinity blue was amazing. On the afternoon we arrived met our wedding co ordinator and she was fab we got everything arranged in just over an hour ! Then the trip to port lois to do the legal bit only took 5 hours. Our wedding was in the garden gazebo and it was just what i had imagined, the photographer was so good and we have loads of beautiful memories. We had our wedding meal in infinity blue and it was lovely looking out at the sea. We were a little disappointed we could not go the the honeymoon meal as it looked so lovely with all the candles as they didnt let children in there! But they did arrange for us to have the menu in another restaurant. Overall our wedding was perfect. The rooms are lovely and spacious and bathrooms are fab the lady who cleaned our room was lovely. The bar staff are so good special mention to jay,vanessa and danny all assets to the hotel. We did a dolphin and beach bbq boat trip with Eddy who we met at the beach , it is a must if you go saw 60 or more dolphins and the lobster was gorgeous, My mum hurt herself on the boat and needed a bit of medical treatment and the two guys on the boat and Eddy were amazing and looked after us so well, Worth looking for Eddy to book your boat trip. The crocodile park was very good for young kids aswell as adults as you can ride on the giant tortoises!!. This hotel was fabulous and our wedding amazing really just want to go back very soon.

• Stayed June 2013
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Mr and Mrs,

I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort for the organisation of your wedding and also for your recent holidays.

I am happy to read that my team has been exceeding your expectations and that you have enjoyed your experience.

I will pass on your appreciation to your wedding coordinator who was dedicated for the whole organization of your wedding, to the Infinity Blue team and the Bar staff team and most specifically to Jay, Vanessa and Danny.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back here again and in the near future.

I wish you a wonderful life together,

Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!