With our carbon footprint a bit of an embarrassment over the last 12 months what the hell, whats another long flight. Our friendly travel agent found us this hotel as it checked the boxes - AI, mostly grown ups, unlimited free golf and spa treatments thrown in. Also the temperature in June is perfect British summers day or mid winter as they call it.
We arrived very early morning. Met with welcome drums and as room was not going to be ready until 11, shown to lounge and shower rooms ( luggage brought too). Nice facility as you can freshen up and change comfortably.
The room is OK size, with balcony and large bathroom. Tv channels are limited but then other than the news channel I am on holiday so don't care. In room wifi is extra and pricey. Free wifi in bar area but limited bandwidth and its funny to see how we are now so wedded to our iPad's and smartphones that everyone congregates to use the wifi and no one talks to each other.
Various restaurants but not all are inclusive. Sometimes it is difficult to tell what is and what isn't included and it is not great to have to carry around the paperwork so you know. The staff keep asking you your room number which confuses as well. The food is good quality from buffet style in the main restaurant to the very nice infinity blue restaurant with a la carte and table service. Worth booking a few times although menu is fixed weekly. We went to BOMA which is Mauritian themed night. Bit of a premium for a BBQ, dancing (albeit amusingly led by a local troupe) and a hangover inducing vanilla rum. The a la carte restaurants (including the Chateau) are only open certain nights. Worth checking this out and planning ahead.
Staff are in the whole very friendly and accommodating. Some that go that extra mile got a wee tip at the end of the holiday although not policy and there is a shared tips box.
We love to golf so we played at the Heritage Course every other day. Really nice course with different tee boxes to add difficulty. The golf buggies are not included and at £40 a they are at top end of hire charge that I have seen. You can walk the course but as with all modern courses some of the green to tee walks are quite a way. You can leave clubs with the caddymaster and they will be cleaned and made ready for your next round. The restaurant at the course is very nice and many guests who didn't golf came up just to eat. AI finishes at 2:30 though. Shame.
OK, I am not a spa person, Mrs DJ is though. The spa is quite big. Usual steam room and sauna and lots of cabins for treatments. You go for your induction and it is a bit new age babble. I was just waiting to be asked if I wanted my chakras balanced. However we stopped after agreeing our colour for the lighting during our 50 min treatment that is thrown in (massage). It actually was very relaxing although we didn't get our chosen colour.
We did one tour of the South of the Island. The glass factory tour was perfunctory (very proud of their glass hands of the famous - or in Liam Gallachers case "very" famous) as was the tour of the model ship shop, I mean craft collective. However the Indian Temple and statue of Shiva were fantastic and we had an interesting stop in Curepipe and found the market which always gives you a great flavour of a place. The 7 coloured earth stop was ok, geologists would be excited I guess. Lunch on tour was actually very good in a nice restaurant overlooking the black river gorge.
This was not an inexpensive holiday. There are lots of add ons and we did run up more of a bill than usual going AI.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of the unspoiled wild south of the island, Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort is the ideal place to experience authentic Mauritius and relax in harmony with nature either for just the two of you, or with the whole family. This luxury hotel combines elegance with the magic of Africa and offers high-end accommodations and an exceptional range of facilities: 18 hole golf course overlooking the ocean, two of the most beautiful well being centres of the Indian Ocean area with the Seven Colours Spa and the Umuzi Fitness Centre, a unique concept in kids' clubs, a fine dining gourmet restaurant as well as another amazing culinary experience in Seven Colours Energy Cuisine and privileged access to a colonial manor house and a nature reserve. A variety of unique delights to leave you with unforgettable holidays in Mauritius. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heritage Awali Golf And Spa Resort
- Heritage Awali Golf Hotel Bel Ombre
- Heritage Hotel Bel Ombre
- Heritage Resort Bel Ombre
- Heritage Mauritius
- Heritage Golf Spa Mauritius
- Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort Mauritius/Bel Ombre