“Amazing Hotel - Absolutely Perfect Holiday and Wedding!” 5 of 5 stars

Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Coastal Road, Bel Ombre, Mauritius 230   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel - Absolutely Perfect Holiday and Wedding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort in Sept 2012 and also held our wedding there. Our entire stay was perfect, we couldn't fault a single thing. Before we'd even got into the hotel, they greeted us with drums and a refreshing drink! And it didn't disappoint from there.The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and they came to feel like friends by the end of the holiday. The hotel is immaculately clean as are the rooms, housekeeping do a great job. The restaurants and their food are out of this world, I challenge anyone to not enjoy them! There was such a wide range of choices in the Balafon buffet restaurant and for a more formal setting on the beach, the Infinity Blue is just incredible. Being able to eat and relax whilst overlooking the amazing view is something you just won't forget. There's also a beautiful spa and great sports facility and plenty to do if you get bored of sunbathing on the beach (or you want to get rid of the husband for a bit!)
And with regards to our wedding, we owe the staff everything for making our wedding day so perfect. I couldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams just how amazing the day would be and with the beachfront setting, it was just truly breathtaking. The staff made the whole process so relaxed that we didn't have to worry about a thing. They ordered the flowers and extras with no problem and made us the most beautiful wedding cake. They greeted us after our session with the photographer with a bottle of bubbly and then we dined on a fabulous meal out under the stars in the beach kiosk. When we got back to our room, it had been decorated so beautifully with fresh flowers and the towels folded into swans.
I could write for hours about how wonderful this hotel and it's magnificent staff are but really you need to go there and experience it for yourself. Do not believe the bad reviews!! Honestly, if you want the most perfect holiday of your life where you can relax and be treated like royalty, this is the place for you. We cannot wait to go back over and over again!

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays and also for the place to get married. We took very much pleasure in making your wedding day a most memorable one.

I will pass on your appreciation to all the member of the staff and especially the room maids, the team of the restaurant Balafon and the Spa team. The pastry chef is happy to know that you enjoyed your wedding cake as it is very important to have that element right.

Do not wait too long to be back as we are all waiting for you to celebrate your first wedding anniversary.

Our best personal regards to you.

Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Motherwell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed hear last year for our honeymoon. Arrival was excellent, greater with drums, a warm towel and cocktails.

The room was good without being great.

Food was largely disappointing. A particular frustration was the birds helping themselves to the buffet, not just one or two literally hundreds of birds. For breakfast and dinner we always made sure we were early there so there was less chance the birds had tucked in. Drinks service at the buffet took way too long, sometimes waiting ten minutes on drinks that had been ordered. All other meals were no better than decent and I ended up with vomiting after octopus one day. The staff were also really mixed, for some I was a delight to serve you a drink, others a chore. We learned quickly who we liked and sat where they were serving.

Some particular delights were cocktails brought to the room unordered as we got ready, fresh fruit brought along the beach and the whole setting that was just simply stunning.

In summary we thoroughly enjoyed our stay excluding the dining experience and left well relaxed and recharged.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your holidays. I am so sad that we did not meet your expectation concerning the food offering during your stay. We do serve a large variety of food based on an international offering and for sure local and typical dishes too but obviously did not manage to please you.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back here one day for us to get the chance to catch up on your valuable comments.

Sheerness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

What an amazing place. Attended a wedding there last week, everything was perfect. The staff were sooo helpful and friendly and could not do enough for you. Hotel setting is beautiful, rooms lovely and spacious and relaxing. Cannot recommend it enough!

Room Tip: All beautiful settings
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for having chosen the Heritage Awali for your recent holidays and thank you for writing down your appreciation.

We look forward to welcoming you back here in a close future.

My best personal regards,

Worcestershire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just got back after getting married at this hotel - please please do not believe the bad reviews. We had the most amazing wedding and honeymoon at the Heritage Awali. It is true that if you arrive early you can't get your room till about 10 but that was the only negative thing about it.
Our wedding was arranged by Karishma who was as excited as us. She arranged everything and on the day the diamonties on my shoes started to come loose due to the humidity she took them away and fixed them in no time at all - she made a special day amazing. In the evening we had dinner at infinity blue and the round table was exquisite all Orange & cream set for 9 with beautiful glasses and decorations much much more than we ever expected. Then when it was all over we got to our beautiful room (that we could step right on to the beach) and it was full of beautiful
decorations so lovely. We could not believe that we had the complimentary wedding package and only had to pay for flowers and photos, it truly was awesome.
Us 9 had no complaints at all food was excellent in all restaurants and service was good. The waiters in Zanzibar were brilliant especially Akshay .
I just don't understand the bad reviews on here I think they must be very hard to please.
Thanks again Heritage Awali for a wonderful 14 days

Room Tip: We had 7004 worth the extra to step straight on to the beach
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr and Mrs,

Again congratulation for your wedding. I would like to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for that special and unique experience and I am glad to read that you have had a wonderful time.

I will pass on your appreciation to Kareshma your wedding coordinator and also Akshay who did contribute to your experience at the Zenzibar.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back here in a close future.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I want to write an honest and frank review of this resort. As a returning guest you would think I was very happy with this hotel, which I was. I have to say honestly though, the all inclusive has certainly gone down hill compared to last year. The choices are just not the same, you get no where near the same package and I'm sorry Awali, there is no comparison.
Secondly, and the hotel management are fully aware I am going to write this and will probably ask for this to be removed, but I got salmonella food poisoning whilst there. The hotel deny any responsibility for this but the fact that I ate nowhere else speaks for itself. I have sent proof of this but I apparently either made this up or I forged the result. I don't want to stop people going to this fantastic resort but to warn them that this is not the first episode of salmonella and I urge anyone who has been acutely ill with diarrhoea, vomiting, fever and abdominal cramps to report this to their tour operator. I got this midway through my holiday and was ill in bed for 4 days but had the symptoms for almost 5 weeks. This was a special holiday for my 50th birthday which I spent in bed.
That said, the staff are absolutely first class. Its the management that lacks in supervisory skills.
The food, well to be honest, you really do have to be careful what you eat. Being a nurse practitioner, I thought I did, I was very careful.
The hotel itself is lovey but I'm sorry I cannot recommend this hotel, its cost me in loss of wages and loss of holiday through no fault of my own.

Room Tip: Ask for block 3, top floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Madam,

Allow me to thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali again for your holidays and thank you also for your time spent in writing your comments.

Unfortunately you started to be sick on the 24th of March and you assumed that you got salmonella food poisoning at the Resort despite the fact that I did reassure you through several exchanged emails that it was not the case following deep investigation linked to your sickness report..

I was fully aware that you would write your comments on Trip Advisor as you did mention that you will do so if we do not manage to agree on the fact that you have contracted salmonella in my Resort.

The Heritage Awali is a Resort of 161 rooms with an occupancy of 85% throughout the year and hygiene and more food hygiene is one of our main concerns, this is why we are certified Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) and this since 5 years. We do have allergy or acute allergy cases but not Salmonella.

Madam I would like to thank you for your appreciation concerning my staff and the Resort in general.

I wish you all the very best.

Shitterton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

The spate of negative reviews in March, had us really concerned having booked this resort to spend my 60th birthday. It was our third time to the island - previously for honeymoon and tenth wedding anniversary - so we've been very fortunate in staying in the most fabulous places. However, we need not have worried and have just returned from the best holiday ever. All the staff were outstanding - friendly, fun, able to remember drinks preferences and always having the next one lined up for us, whether at the bar or sitting by the pool. So special mention to all the team, but particularly Vanessa, Yovin, Mike and Jay. The reception staff at the spa were fabulously friendly and Indira looked after me wonderfully for my six birthday treats - so thank you Simla and all your team. In fact, everyone we came into contact with was warm, courteous and always greeted us with a beaming smile - gardeners, maintenance, housekeeping, reception, guest relations, restaurant - everywhere was the same - they all were a credit to the hotel.
We were very happy with all the meals, but understand some of the previous comments about repetitiveness, and I certainly had no complaints about the bubbly - it definitely had champagne on the bottle - both normal and pink! The tuna sashimi in Infinity Blue was to die for and the beef carpaccio in Cyan equally Michelin quality. My birthday dinner at the Chateau was exceptional - fabulous meal and a chocolate torte birthday 'cake' to finish off - lovely.

My husband had a brilliant time on the golf course - the most he's ever played on a holiday despite the cyclonic weather over our first few days. He also managed happily without a buggy, but did come back shattered on the hotter days! He discovered at the end of our two weeks that teeing off in the afternoon was actually better than an early start - much cooler.

There was little I could put on the feedback form for improvement, but a couple of minor observations that may be worth thinking about - I wish there had been a freestanding, good sized, dressing table mirror on the divider to the bathroom so that I could use my hairdryer/GHDs sitting down. I really don't like fixed hairdryers in bathrooms where you have to stand! It's also quite normal for this level of hotel to provide conditioner (there was only shampoo) and a small facecloth would have been useful, although I'm sure if I'd asked it would have been provided.

Thanks to all of you at Awali, we never go back to the same place twice, however good it's been, but this time we might just break our own rule - you were exceptional.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr and Mrs,

Thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali for your recent holidays. I would also like to thank you for having taken on your time to drop down your appreciation and comments for me to improve my structure.

I will pass on your appreciation to Vanessa, Yovin, Mike and Jay for their excellent service at the Bar, to Simla and her whole Spa team, especially Indira, and the Chateau team for having contributed to your 60th birthday dinner.

I have taken good note of your comments regarding the dressing table mirror, the conditioner and the face cloth as additional amenities in the room.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back here and in a close future.

Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

that makes Awali to an unbetable combination. We stayd here 14 nights in April. Don´t pay any attention about the bad reviews of this Hotel. We had some days of heavy rain, but I can´t blame the Hotel for that!

First; When the Hotel cuts its prices something else has to be cut too. There are no longer lobster, grilled prawns or oysters on the buffe´. We only had dinner at the buffe´restaurant three times, and we found always something that we liked. Please visit the buffe´when it is "Mauritian evening" and taste all the curries, under supervision of Chef Govinden. We prefered Infinity Blue and C- Beach, a la cate and you sit with your toes in the sand. Tuesdays entertainment is a highlight, when Eric Clapton´s lookalike enters the bar. Don´t miss him!!!

The rooms are a bit dark but very confortable with a huge sofa on the terrace. The grounds of the Hotel are well maintanined. It is an excellent 4 star Hotel. Good value for money.

You can walk for an hour along the beach and you will reach a little fishingvillage with its pirogue boats in different colours. Nice place to sit for a while with a coffe from a local beachside restaurant. The ocean is a bit current at Awali and it´s wonderful to drift in the water at a temperature of + 28 Celsius.

The nature is absolute stunning in the Bel Ombre area. It´s very close to Frederica Nature Reserve. You will see hundreds of deer, ebony trees and a magnificent view that will remain in your memory.

Staff are all very caring and friendly. See you all again in November.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindley-Thomen, General Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Mrs the Author...

Thank you for having chosen The Heritage Awali this time for your holidays as I understood you are a most regular guest of Mauritius. Thank you also for your time in writing your comments.

I will pass on your appreciation to the entire team and specifically to Chef Govinden who had much pleasure assisting you in your choices.

I am really looking forward to welcome you back in November and may be with another book!!!

Heritage Le Telfair and Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!