“Beautiful Resort, Unusual Decor!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
save up to 35%
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Annecy, France
“Beautiful Resort, Unusual Decor!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We spent four nights at Bel Ombre. The rooms are large, ultra modern with big, bright, bold colors. The bed was massive and was surrounded by these movable side cushion/seats that you had to either crawl over to get in bed or move out of the way. Really stupid and non-functional. For the cost of the room and its enormous size, it lacked a comfortable chair to sit in with a proper reading light. The room had a patio with an ugly outdoor bath tub made of concrete and lined with small ceramic tiles that I avoided due to all the mosquitos and a small, rather ugly table and two chairs. Never used the outdoor lounge chairs on the grass because of the flying insects. Did, however, enjoy the beach, enjoyed looking for shells and enjoyed our lunch at the outdoor beach cafe. The food in this restaurant was far better than the food in the main dining room. The breakfast buffet was very nice, but the dinner menu was the same every evening. The menu and food were unremarkable. Forget ordering a mixed cocktail or wine, the prices are absurd!
For a Sofitel property, we came away a bit disappointed. The food and drinks were off, the room was decorated in an interesting style that was cold and uncomfortable. The staff was friendly but lacked a comfort in interacting with the guests.

The spa was very nice. The spa therapists could use more training on creating a quiet environment with quiet movements and different techniques for deep massage. The amount of time spent putting oil on the head and massaging the scalp is a bit overdrawn and unpleasant.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Guests

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay.

I understand the your point of view on ‘comfort’ and ‘décor’ and I apologise for the deception of the facilities and services offered to you a during your stay with us.

Your comments regarding the culinary experience, exhaustive prices for wine card and spa experience will be shared with our teams to show concern about creating the best experience for each of our guests.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in our property and that when you next stay with us, we will able with our collaborators to show you the true So Experience.
Antonio Ferreira De Sousa,
General Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Magnifique hôtel. Rooms are spacious and private pool!!!! Beautiful view. Restaurant is very Nice. Amazing breakfast. Staff very friendly and helpful with us. Nice Island for lovely stay.the concierge is very professionnal

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mjl R,
Many thanks indeed for such a fantastic review.
We are very happy that you have enjoyed your holiday with and that our team has been delivering to our valued guests a high quality of service to make it the most memorable.
Your comments will be shared with our collaborators to encourage them thriving for excellence.
Again thank you for your encouraging feedback.
We are thoroughly looking forward to your next stay.

Antonio Ferreira de Sousa
Mauritius
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The welcome was different, you can already feel the difference of the 5 stars plus. Instead of the usual lobby where we have to fill in the forms, we were given towels to get refreshed and then driven in the golf cart directly to our rooms.

I was impressed by the room, what I like most was the feather bed, fluffy comfort, like a cocoon. The front view was a garden with an open- air tub, there were showers inside and outside and i like the color of the room.

I like the deep blue color of the swimming pool, the big trees behind it, makes me feel so close to nature. As for the food, I did not have to walk a lot and I really enjoyed the fish soup of the dinner and the fish, catch of the day for lunch :)

While the men were busy talking, we 4 ladies had a wonderful time dancing near the bar. Thanks Sofitel So Mauritius, Bel Ombre, Savanne District, Mauritius, for the sweet and memorable stay :)

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you for your amazing feedback.

I am glad to read your valuable feedback while you enjoyed every moment with us which ended to a 'sweet and memorable stay '.

Along with my team, I hope you will keep good memories of the moments shared among us and shall be pleased to welcome you again in his luxuriant paradise.

We look forward to have another opportunity to serve you.

Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The resort totally over my expectation.I lived here for a week.First of all I should thank Poonam and Sarah. They made us feel like home. Sarah gave us a perfect instruction during we arrived at the hotel. Poonam's chinese really help us a lot during our vocation. This is the best service I ever met.
The good side:
(1)Room decoration is the same as photo.
(2)Service is perfect.Everybody is smiling.
(3)As a Chinese customer, Poonam really help us a lot

The bad side :
(1)Breakfast is not so good. Everyday we have same breakfast , so I didn't have my breakfast in the last day!
(2) The food in FLAMBOYANT really frustrated us. No matter the Chinese set menu or French style menu. I thought 5 stars resort should have better food.
(3)Always strong wind in the beach ! Sand there is worse than the public beach near the hotel !
(4)Pool is too small !

Room Tip: Rooms and service are excellent. Food could be better
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

We thank for having chosen the Sofitel So Mauritius for your holidays and your feedback with regards to your experience.

It is indeed a pleasure read your review and your constructive comments which will be well considered in order to enhance your SO Experience. With pleasure, we will address your thanks to our well deserve collaborators who have been very helpful and offered you a high service quality.

We hope you will keep nice memories of your stay with us and look forward to have another opportunity to serve you.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Myself and my sister have just had the most relaxing two weeks holiday we have ever had. All of the staff were excellent nothing was too much trouble for them. The apartment was absolutely beautiful and had everything you could need. Food was very good nothing was to much trouble if we didn't like something they would make us something different. All resturant staff excellent.

The Spa is the best one I have ever been too and I've been to a lot of them. Staff again all excellent but must give a special mention to Jess with her magic hands. I had had a bad neck for six months she put it right with one treatment.thank you

I must give a special mention to Kevin who works round the pool and beach nothing was ever too much trouble for him he knew what you needed even before you knew yourself. Always there with drinks towels he even came to find you at the beach to make sure you had drinks . Thank you

Butlers were very good but Sarah was always happy and willing to please.

Which only leaves Adriano in the gym who was excellent. My sister has a bad hip Adriano worked with her everyday and helped her to be much more Mobile which enabled her to have a much better holiday. In his words you have to have activity to get flexibility and mobility. This man really knows his job and has made a very big impact on my sisters well being. So a very big thank you Adriano for all your help from us both.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your feedback with regards to your previous stay at the Sofitel So Mauritius.

It is with much attention that we read your comments; the team is purely dedicated to the satisfaction of our guests and do their best to make their stay as much enjoyable as possible. It is with pleasure and pride that we shall address our thanks to those you mentioned for instance Jess, Sarah and Adriano.

We look forward to have another opportunity to serve you for a more pleasant stay as the first one.

Sincerely yours,

Mr Ferreira de Sousa
Mauritius
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was warmly welcomed by the friendly and pleasant hotel staff on my arrival and the check-in was hassle free- valet parking and a buggy got us from the greeting point to our rooms. A few minutes later, we were introduced to the butler who guided us through the room features and the concept of the hotel. We were already settled within a short time (compared to the timely traditional front office check-in in other resorts!)

The room & decor:
The design has a sparkle of the tropical flair of the island blended in luxury - I like how Japanese designer Kenzo added subtle touches of originality wherever I looked. The bed is very (yes very) comfortable. The room is fairly spacious, the private plunge pool in the terrace garden can be filled with hot water and flowers which is nice on a romantic night. Outdoor shower, Smart TV with internet, bose docking station for ipods were available. The only thing lacking is a ceiling fan. With all the plants and flowers around the room vicinity, you can expect flies (many!) and other bugs to fly in, so avoid keeping the terrace doors open in the night. I also found a colony of ants and a lizard in the room but that didn't disturb me too much.

Hotel facilities:
The swimming pool is uniquely shaped - view on the beach and ocean - infinity edge, tiered levels. The boat house is just a kiosk with a table, I almost laughed at the set up. The boathouse staff are really friendly and showed us some fishing spots and the type of fish available in that area. Scuba can be organised in a neighbouring hotel - hotel heritage - which might be a bugger for scubadive lovers (like myself!) as you'll need to taxi it to the other hotel, although that would be organised for you and the other hotel is only 10 mins away. The kids club has its own mini swimming pool and the kids had fun doing various activities - a welcome gift was offered to them. The gym is very small but fairly well equipped.

Spa & treatments:
The spa is modern and has spacious relaxation areas, garden kiosks, hammam, a hot and cold plunge pool (no Jacuzzi!). The massage treatments are very good too (but not as good as neighbour hotel Shanti Maurice!). Treatments are reasonably priced about 120usd for an hour, the Asian fusion massage is recommended. Serge is the acupuncture specialist and has a genuine permanent smile on his face, always eager to assist or advise you. Thanks to Celine, Prema and the rest of the spa team for an excellent service.

Night & Day entertainment:
The hotel doesn't have an event organiser like other hotels - so not much going on during the day - no table tennis or games room or beach games. A band might play some light music in the night, don't expect a dancefloor or night shows. I suppose the hotel targets for clients wanting tranquility and pure undisturbed relaxation - the beach is very deserted, green space and nicely tucked sunbeds create little privacy corners - you wont find hotel staff disturbing you or too overbearing and few to be seen wondering about. Ideal for people wanting serenity or couples wanting a quiet time. If you want a lively scene with activity packed days, you better avoid this hotel.

Food:
The resort has 2 restaurants, both of which offering good (but not excellent!) food. Felt like management was trying to keep costs down and the restaurant was run on a budget. I didn't feel premium ingredients were being used or the gastronomic originality you would expect in a five star restaurant, especially considering the limited variety a la carte menu. Vegetarians will have a tough time as almost no choice is offered. Good point is you can ask the waiter what you want or how you want it prepared and maybe get something close to it. If you are fussy about food quality, then you might be disappointed (Choose St Regis hotel for a better gastronomic experience). Drinks and cocktails are slightly overpriced so the bar is pretty empty all the time - Cocktails are priced about 25usd and a bottle of average french wine at 100usd or higher.

Overall, the hotel has a lot of charm and a private tranquil set up for a cut-off-from-the-world feeling. A team of friendly and smiling staff will eagerly assist you. Special thanks goes to Kamlesh and Dev who made our stay pleasant. And to Nency at reception for excellent service.

Room Tip: Choose the villa or the beachfront suites
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the outstanding review following your visit at the Sofitel So Mauritius.
I will share your comments with our team. Your satisfaction is the best reward for our collaborators who thrive to prove excellence in every service. We hope you will keep good memories of your stay with us.
Should you choose to have an ‘undisturbed relaxation’, you know now the address..

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Absolutely magical vacation which exceeded all my expectations. We stated in room 108 which was a short walk to the beach and the boat house. The room was very chic with a modern design, they had the feel and the look of a luxury apartment with your own personal garden. The only down fall was we were unable to use the outside bath as it was really grubby. The staff were so attentive. We had a few butlers while we were out there vijay, Dinesh and Raj who were delightfully approachable and always at hand should we require any assistance. The Spa is out of this world and you must experience the four hand massage it was so exhilarating and the sensations left me speechless and light on my feet lol! The customer service and attention to detail by all of the staff was commendable, as it was personal and they made us feel oh so special at all times. Christelle and the staff in the restaurant gave us such a memorable experience which we will never forget. On our last night we had a personal dinning experience, where Christelle dressed our table in a secluded part of the restaurant, that was a really nice touch. The part of the which really took my breath away was, unfortunately I had an accident due to the poor lighting on our way to the restaurant and I fell into the ditch ( not funny). I had to get the wound dressed daily by the hotel doctor and all the staff were really sweet always ensuring I was ok. We raised our unhappiness to the hotel manager at a cocktail evening and when we got back to our room we couldn't believe our eyes. There were candles all around our bed, a bottle of champagne and a projected shining stars all over our room, it was truly magical. The next morning the engineers were out putting up more lighting along the route from our room to the restaurant. I feel so blessed for having such a truly memorable experience.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SoMauritius_BelOmbre, General Manager at Sofitel So Mauritius, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for fantastic review regarding your stay at the Sofitel So Mauritius.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is with much attention that we read your comments; the team is purely dedicated to the satisfaction of our guests and do their best to make their stay as much enjoyable as possible. It is with pleasure and pride that we shall address our thanks to those you mentioned.

Sincerely yours,

Antonio Ferreira de Sousa

Been to Sofitel So Mauritius? Share your experiences!