The Sofitel So is located a short distance from Bel Ombre on the South East coast of Mauritius. The location of the hotel is amazing, set amongst the cane fields and smack bang on a beautiful beach. The only access option to the hotel is via taxi. We used Taxi's Mauritius and the 45 minute journey set us back 1400 rupee. There are no vehicles within the resort so access is from the entrance near the coastal road. We were met by staff and taken directly to reception in a golf cart.
The staff at the Sofitel So are excellent. Every guest is assigned a personal butler who is available to assist you with anything you require. The staff speak excellent English and French and I even witnessed a Japanese speaking staff member.
We booked the entry level room, which was a suite! The room was brilliant. A large open planned space with two outdoor areas, a courtyard with outdoor shower at the rear and garden with outdoor bath at the front. My only criticism of the room would be that the only bath is outdoors, not nice if it's windy or raining and you want to relax in the bath. The bed is the super comfortable Sofitel standard. The rooms have free WIFI and a large TV with free on demand movies and TV shows, a Coffee machine is available in your room but no sign of tea, odd considering Mauritius produces tea locally!
We had half board included in our rate, this was new to us. It includes the buffet breakfast and dinner. Drinks are included at breakfast but not at dinner, if you want water at dinner you have to pay $7AUD per bottle!! The menu for dinner includes half a dozen options each for a 3 course meal and did not change during our stay, fine for 4 nights but would become boring after a week. There is a second restaurant at the hotel closer to the beach, we had lunch which was nice but the menu choice was quite limited. There is an excellent bar with a great view but the drinks are so overpriced that we decided not to order. A beer will set you back $10 and cocktails are $25, if you enjoy wine be prepared to fork out a small fortune at both the bar and the restaurant.
The facilities at the Sofitel are exceptional. There are plenty of included daily activities available, we had a painting class with a local artist, it made a great souvenir to bring home. There's also the pool, tennis, kayaks, glass bottom boat, volleyball and bikes available, we rode into the local town, staff will provide you with a map of suggested routes. The gym is modern but tiny, only 1 treadmill for such a large resort could be a problem in peak periods. The beach is beautiful but due to the amount of broken coral is quite hazardous to swim in if you don't have foot protection.
The South of Mauritius is spectacular, although the Sofitel So is isolated its very close to Mauritius' natural attractions, we spent a day visiting the local sites. Be aware that without a car or your bike there is nothing in walking distance of the hotel, but saying that it's easy enough to spend a day out as we did. The highlight of this hotel are the staff, every encounter we had was brilliant, very friendly lovely people. The property itself is exceptional, the minor points I have highlighted are all I could think of, it's truly a wonderful place to stay and if returning to Mauritius I would choose the Sofitel So
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel So Mauritius Bel Ombre Hotel Bel Ombre
- Sofitel So Mauritius Bel Ombre Hotel
- Sofitel So Mauritius Bel Ombre
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel So Mauritius Bel Ombre is located on the southern tip of the island in the most naturally beautiful place. The resort has 92 suites and villas, 2 restaurants, 2 bars, So Spa, So Fit. The resort also has a tennis court, kids club, outdoor swimming pool, 520 mts of beach, natural lagoon and corals, boat house with water activities and 24 hrs personal butler service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Splendia, ACCOR, Tingo, Agoda, Otel, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Sofitel So Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.