Not having been to Kenya or on safari before, i wasn't quite sure quite to expect when i got to the camp. All i can say was that everything about the experience exceeded my expectations. The camp hosts Andy & Sonia were superb and this definitely rubbed off on the rest of the staff, who were extremely friendly and hospitable. The tents were beautifully designed, spacious and the fact there we only 6 tents gave you the feeling that you were alone in the bush. The food and communal dinning were first class. The knowledge of the guides and also the game, elephants, rhinos (the specialty of the region) lions, cheetahs, hyenas was exceptional.
The highlight of the trip was however, was tracking Joanna the lion. Having spent 2 hours tracking her via her electronic collar we then spent the next hour, having a sundowner watching the pride. Unlike on the Masai Mara (which i went to after), we were the only vehicle to spend time with Joanne, feeling like we were had the family all to ourselves.
An outstanding experience all round. I couldn't think of a way to improve it. I'd recommend this to anyone who is looking for their first safari experience.
- Also Known As:
- Kicheche Laikipia Camp Hotel
- Kicheche Laikipia Camp Hotel Laikipia District
- Kicheche Laikipia Camp Kenya/Laikipia District
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kicheche Laikipia is a small luxurious tented camp, nestled in the shadows of Mount Kenya and the Aberdares overlooking a waterhole, in the heart of the Ol Pejeta Conservancy at 1900m, hosted by the inimitable Andy and Sonja Webb. The six sumptuous tents are en-suite with comfortable chairs on each verandah, overlooking the waterhole. There is a spacious lounge and dining tent with two large open fires. This is a beautiful hideaway offering many wilderness activities. ... more less