“The Experience that a human being needs” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Porini Rhino Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nanyuki
Porini Rhino Camp
You added Porini Rhino Camp to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   | Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Nanyuki, Kenya   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
“The Experience that a human being needs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I enjoyed every bit of the trip to Porini Rhino Camp in Ole Pejeta. Our drive from Nairobi led by Naeem, one of the best drivers I have ever met and on our way we saw elephants and rainbow on the background such an amazing scene. The service that we received from the team at the camp under the stewardship of the Manager David, is out of this world, the drives led by very knowledgeable guides Daniel and Benjamin made sure that we saw the elephants and lions, that we really wanted to see, plus the Rhino Sanctuary where we saw Baraka the visually impaired Rhino and the Chimpanzee place. The terrain was not so smooth as it had rained, but can confirm that the vehicle is well maintained and up to the task. The food was so tasty never enjoyed main meal and dessert like I did and service by Hesbon & Benjamin was top notch. Breakfast at one of the camp sites near Ewaso Ngiro river. Our guides within the camp Benjamin and the others were so helpful. We kept confusing names as there are several Benjamin's and Daniel's. We danced to Maasai tunes after our walk and did abit of Javelin which was memorable. Cannot forget mentioning how strategic PRC is as you can view outside your tent animals at the water point. I salute the entire team Naeem, Chantelle, David and others who kept us engaged all the time, we even forgot that we had no TVs and radios. I say thank you to Game Watchers for making the trip so successful and the entire team of PRC you are so SPECIAL I will be back and would encourage others to VISIT thank you Matthew

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Cheetahs, a male lion eating a zebra at sunrise, elephants and of course plenty of rhinos! Another wonderful Porini experience thanks to David's leadership and the skills of Benjamin guiding us and Michael driving. The Ol Pejeta reserve is absolutely huge and offers plenty of opportunities for wildlife viewing across many species. Not to be missed!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Beds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have not found anywhere else - ever - that I would rate excellent in all aspects.
From the minute I stepped off the plane (after a less than ideal flight, clutching my sick bag, and being made comfortable again by Benjamin and Nicholas in such a friendly and practical way), I was starting the most wholly satisfying experience I've had on holiday.
The setting of Ol Pejeta between the Aberdares and Mount Kenya, the diverse habitat, the abundance and variety of wildlife, made it ideal for a safari. Extras like the chimp sanctuary and meeting and feeding Baraka, the blind black rhino, gave added dimension.
The camp was comfortable and well cared for, well set out, the food fresh and delicious. David and all his staff were genuinely friendly and welcoming, nothing was too much trouble, I was made to feel important and individual. Bush breakfast, sundowners, bush walk enhanced the total experience. Skilled and knowledgeable guides/spotters/drivers and a fantastic open vehicle made the game drives a joy.
The weather was great too - not too hot during the day, glorious dawns and sunsets (even a heavy evening shower enhanced the colours in the sky) . I didn't need to worry about the cooler early mornings and evenings, with ponchos in the vehicle and hot water bottle in bed - sheer bliss!
I can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I traveled solo to Kenya for my second safari and started off in Porini Rhino camp. Benjamin and Nicholas were my guide and spotter/driver and they really gave me an excellent game-viewing experience.

I picked Ol Pejeta and Porini Rhino camp for the rhinos specifically, and I was not disappointed. We had a very early morning spotting of the elusive black rhino, and saw 5 white rhinos, including a very young one, during a midday drive. We also visited the Rhino Sanctuary, where I met Baraka, the blind rhino ambassador who graciously let me feed him. The rhino viewing here far exceeded what I experienced in Tanzania. It helps that the guides live and work in the area every day, so they know where they are most likely to be.

Harry was the manager on duty while I was there (he roams camp to camp in that capacity) and he's a rock star. He never failed to greet me with a smile and always asking how my stay was, how the game rides were, how the food was. The folks at Porini camps are SO concerned about your experience and want to ensure that all is well. This starts from the top with the camp managers and trickles right down through all the other camp staff.

The food here is exceptional, as at other Porini camps. They do wonderful things with vegetables and pizzas, especially. I was never hungry or wanting for anything in the way of food or drink. The vehicles are stocked with a cooler of cold drinks for the longer drives. All meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner, whether in camp or out on the road, were just excellent.

The tents are well appointed and comfortable. You won't feel like you're in a tent but rather an open-air hotel room! Being situated in the conservancy gives you, as a Rhino Camp guest, practically exclusive access to the area and the wildlife. I hardly ever saw any other vehicles and we were never crowded at a sighting.

All the details are well attended to, from the game drives to the small things like the hot water bottles in bed, flannel rain ponchos in the vehicles and cookies with your coffee for the early morning wake-up call.

Thank you to Benjamin, Daniel and Harry for a wonderful experience, and Julie at Gamewatchers for flawlessly pulling this trip together for me!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was our first trip to Africa and hence our first African safari experience. We feel so privileged to have found ourselves in such a perfect place! Thanks to our organisers Africa Born! The accommodation was very comfortable, without being OTT luxurious. With only 6 tents the camp is cosily intimate. All tents are tastefully located with lovely views. The staff were far better than anything you would expect in 5 star hotels. The difference is the personal service. Every member of staff knew you by name and likewise we knew them. The food was amazing! The game drives were personal and our guides, Michael and Ben were so knowledgeable. We were lucky to see so much, including rare sights such as the Grevy's zebra, Patas monkeys and African hunting dogs as well as black and white rhino, cheetah, elephant, lion etc, etc. An experience we'll never forget.

Room Tip: All tents are fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Croydon, Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This was a first visit to Phino Porini and it certainly won't be the last. It was an absolutely joy to find an old friend, David in charge. We knew him from Mara Porini, so it was wonderful to catch up. He doesn't change, still great fun with a fabulous sense of humour. His genuine manner is reflected in the way his staff react. They seems to really enjoy working there and their commitment to the camp is passed down to all their clients. The tents were as usualy very comfortable and the mess area was as we imagined it would be. The game drives were excellent and our trackers were knowledgeable and great fun. The food was good and plentiful and the whole ethos of the camp was A1. We will return.

Room Tip: They are all within striking access of the mess tent. If you are geriatric like me, then choose a t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

After spending 10 days on safari in 3 camps in Tanzania, this Camp was by far the best.
The location, David the Manager and the friendly professional massai staff, the driver and his local knowledge on Safari every day , the pride of lions, the lion cubs absolutely amazing, the white and black rhinos, elephants, leopards,zebras,wild dogs we saw the lot plus an abundance of birds. Giraffes , warthogs at the waterhole across from our tent in the morning.
Extremely comfortable , excellent food . Cannot prais this camp enough, it has everything.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Porini Rhino Camp? Share your experiences!