“Trip of a lifetime” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Porini Rhino Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nanyuki
Porini Rhino Camp
You added Porini Rhino Camp to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   | Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Nanyuki, Kenya   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Trip of a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Went here as part of a safari experience enjoying various Porini campsites. Fabulous experience. Such a variety of animals to view up close. The Masai people look after you all the way. The camp manager was very welcoming and our driver and guide were very knowledgable of animals and birds. Food was great and tents were spacious and comfortable. Not to be missed the gamewatchers Porini experience is the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for three nights at the Porini Rhino Camp at the beginning of October 2013. The attention to detail by the manager David and every single one of his staff was nothing short of amazing. The food was five star quality every single day, and something we so looked forward to! The tents are large and very comfortable and each night when we were escorted to our tent for the evening we were greeted with turned down beds with hot water bottles in them. In the morning we were gently awakened with coffee, tea, cookies and hot water for a quick wash before our early morning game drive. Our safari guides (Oliver and Benjamin) were amazing in their knowledge and ability to "find" animals in such a huge, beautiful place. They were always friendly, interesting and fun to be around. The sundowners were fun and then returning to the camp to a lovely warm shower and a bonfire where we could relive the day's sightings. And then.....the fantastic dinner served with linens and candlelight....what could be more perfect? From the moment we arrived it was a fantastic experience. Thank you David and every one of your wonderful staff for helping my daughter and I have the trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My first time to Kenya, I traveled alone to Porini Rhino Camp and had a fantastic experience. The camp is in the western part of the reserve, small and a bit off the beaten path which is great. David, the host/manager, was 100% service oriented and accommodating. Service and safety were clearly a number one priority. The food was as good or better than I would get in any major city in the US or Europe. The game drives with Michael and Benjamin were wonderful - lions, black and white rhinos, giraffes, elephants, zebras, cheetahs, gazelles, hartebeest, waterbuck, cape buffalo... I didn't know what to expect from the experience but I had pretty high expectations. Porini Rhino Camp blew the doors off them.
I joined a friend at Maasai Mara later in the trip and rounded out the safari experience with plenty of wildebeest and some leopards. A shout out to Gail and Tim at Safari Experts for setting the whole thing up. Looking forward to going back and I wouldn't change a thing!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have been on a few different safari'. The service at this camp was warm and friendly. The guides were engaging and the manager runs this lodge really well.
The camp overlooks a salt lick so even before you head out an a game drive chances are you will view some of the local residents! We saw 12 giraffe coming to drink one morning as well as a couple of chetah's in the distance. The tents were luxurious but you may be woken up by hearing some of the animals in the night!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I spent two nights at Porini Rhino as part of a week long safari trip organised by Gamewatchers Safaris to celebrate my birthday, back in September. I was traveling on my own and this would be my first time on safari, so I felt a fair amount of trepidation. I'm so glad that I took the plunge and went ahead with it. Sally from Gamewatchers UK handled everything for me apart from the flights, which I booked myself. I asked Sally to recommend me a couple of camps and she suggested i split my time between Nairobi tented camp, Porini Rhino and Porini Bush Camp. The camps were all different in terms of geography, but all provided an equally amazing experience. I was surprised how comfortable the tents were, considering that everything is temporary and can be taken down with little impact to the environment. The beds were very comfortable and clean, electricity was provided by solar panels and water was always available. However, as soon as you step outside of your tent and take in the breathtaking view, you are reminded how close you are to nature.

I must commend David, the camp manager at Porini Rhino, the guides and all the staff for being so friendly and attentive to detail. Every morning a member of staff would bring a tray with fresh coffee, biscuits and hot water and every night after dinner and sundowners at the campfire I would return to a freshly made bed warmed by a hot water bottle. Speaking of which, the food was varied, freshly prepared and tasty. On the night of my birthday I was surprised by the staff who came dancing and singing around the dining tent table with a delicious birthday cake!

During the day, Benjamin and Mike, the guide and driver who accompanied us on our game watching did a great job, always ready to impart their knowledge on the local fauna. The wildlife viewing truly exceeded my expectation - I was not prepared to see so many animals and birds! All in the safety of a specially modified 4x4 vehicle.

In closing, I would not hesitate to recommend Porini Rhino Camp to anyone who wishes to go on a tented camp safari in Kenya.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Lyngør
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

On the safari we had this Sep/Oct. we stayed at 3 camps: Porini Rhino, Lewa Safari and Saruni Samburu. As the 3 are very different there is no real way of comparing them; instead one has to find out which type of camp suits your safari style.
We are looking for "close to nature", "real tented camps", "guides that know their terrain and wildlife" and "puts their guest in the forefront, knowing about photo angles and light conditions".
ALL THIS WE FOUND AT THIS CAMP!! Daniel and Emanuel became close friends, and David with his staff assured that all functioned PERFECTLY!!
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All equal tents, we like to be close to the open fields so view of game is better.