For those who are strapped for time and would like to view the big five, Sweetwaters Tented camp in the Ol Pejeta conservatory is the place to visit. Located conveniently about 250 kms from Nairobi; Ol Pajeta is spread across 90,000 acres of pristine land. One can find the big five here, though leopard sightings are very rare and difficult.
The tented camp is luxurious. the staff are very efficient and caring. On the way to the camp we decided to go around the conservatory before we check in. Unfortunately, our safari van had a flat and to compound the agony, the jack would not work. we had just arrived that morning after a night flight from Mumbai and were quite tired and hungry. Finally, we managed to reach the camp at about 2.30 pm; tired and hungry; expecting lunch to be over by then. we were pleasantly surprised to see lunch laid out and the staff ensuring that our vegetarian requirements were met.
The highlight of this conservatory is supposed to the "ark" from where one could view the animals coming in to drink water at the water hole situated alongside. However, we were quite disappointed with the ark- for two reasons: one, it was foggy in the night and hence we could not view any animals after 9 pm and secondly- this was the main reason for our disappointment- the ark was over loaded with people from a big group. They were very noisy, had scampering and yelling children ( the ark is supposed to be off limits for children under 7 years. Wonder what happened?) and we were quite annoyed along with the elephants and buffalo.
All in all, this conservatory is a must see for people who are strapped for time.
- Also Known As:
- Sweetwaters Tented Camp Hotel Nanyuki
- Sweetwaters Tented Camp Hotel
- Sweetwaters Serena Camp Kenya/Nanyuki
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A sheltered oasis, clustered around a waterhole and set in the pristine calm of its own private reserve, Sweetwaters Tented Camp is in a class of its own. Abounding with wildlife, unfettered by the more rigorous strictures of the Kenyan National Parks and designed to offer a charming blend of under canvas ambiance and uncompromising luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Venere and Otel so you can book your Sweetwaters Serena Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.