“Comfort amongst nature” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Nanyuki
Topeka, Kansas
“Comfort amongst nature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

When I went to Kenya with my family in 2001, I loved staying at Mount Kenya Safari Club! We stayed in one of the clubhouses, complete with comfy beds and a spacious walk-in shower. We also enjoyed visiting Sweetwater and the Equator, but even staying at the hotel is wonderful! A large pool, horseback rides through the wilderness, I'd have to say Mount Kenya Safari Club is probably one of the best places I've ever stayed!

Room Tip: The clubhouses are perfect for larger groups.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Niall C, General Manager at Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback. Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding our facilities, rooms, grounds and staff. I will most certainly pass on your kind comments to all our team here and until we meet again, we look forward to welcoming you back again.

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Nairobi and Mombasa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I would have given this hotel full marks if it hadn't been for one small thing and one of my pet hates. BEWARE: The prices for drinks from the bar do not include VAT (nice little surprise) AND a SERVICE charge? WHAT? I thought, when I booked and paid for the hotel, I was already paying for service. 50 shillings for some guy to walk to a bar, pour two drinks and bring them to the table?
The hotel is great, the rooms are lovely, the front of house staff warm friendly and helpful, service was slow (especially bringing the change from the drinks order).
Drinks are also explosively expensive. You pay almost twice as much for a litre of water than you would at a decent Kenya Coastal hotel.

The horse riding was a lovely experience and the Orphanage much better (and a nice experience) than the one in Nairobi run by KWS. Beware... the Llamas spit. Llamas? Oh! More of a mini zoo than an Orphanage.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. If you want a lie in, order some peacock repellant spray
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I of the most amazing hotel we have been to, the location is awesome. The views of mount Kenya are breathtaking, the landscaped gardens, maze, small ponds, river at the back are all amazing. The staff very friendly, service perfect, food was excellent. The rooms are nice and large , we stayed in a two bedroom villa. Huge bathrooms, clean with rain shower and seprate bath tub area. The place is filled with peacocks and dancing peacocks was a treat. The location is interestingly on the equator and the equator ceremony was quiet an experience. The place really gets quiet cold in the evenings , they light up the wood burning fireplace and place two hot water bottles in the bed to keep you warm. The breakfast on the slopes was awesome... excellent service, riding the horse was an experience. Other good things include the spa , golf, african dancers etc. etc. You have to experience the whole thing to believe it, we spent three nights which now look was not enough.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Niall C, General Manager at Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to your provide feedback of your recent stay with us at the Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, there are so many wonderful activities to enjoy during your stay, and I am pleased that you managed to enjoy the many options that we have on offer to our valued guests.
I am especially pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast on the slopes of Mount Kenya by horseback, it is truly such a special adventure rewarded with a delicious breakfast in a very unique location when you reach your destination on the slopes of the majestic mountain!
I will share your kind review with all teams involved and I look forward to meeting you and personally welcoming you back on your next stay at the Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club.

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Visiting this facility after 19 years, was by itself a special experience. The only change I found was more improvement on everything that I had seen by then. I experienced exemplary hospitality touch from top management down to the restaurant staff. I enjoyed the a very delicious lunch buffet and thought the weather was extremely cold, the barman served an extra ordinary Espresso that was so refreshing. Simply, the place is just amazing and the staff very helpful with a touch of visible hospitality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Fantastic experience. I enjoyed the rich elegance of my room, crisp clean white sheets, fluffy robe and awesome bathroom. The food was delicious, with breakfast and lunch served on a deck against the backdrop of the rugged snow peaked Mt. Kenya. I woke up daily to a breathtaking view of the mountain, I enjoyed walking on the rolling well kept green lawns. Perhaps the one thing I did not quite like was the intrusion of a stork while I was having my breakfast. However, the sight of the beautiful peacock showing off its beautifully colored tail, more than made up for this. I will certainly plan a return to this idyllic getaway. I highly reccomendation this.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms are fantastic, with a magnificent view of the mountain
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Most amazing place i have ever been to with beautifully landscaped gardens and lawns & stylish glamour. By uniting a love of nature, the outdoors, and casual living with a profound sense of glamour and fantasy, this establishment is one of the finest hotels ever created that gives the feeling of a land not far away, combining great vision, great skill, and great fortune.

The welcome service was excellent...with a very polite staff taking us through the history of the place & advice on the activities we should engage in to make our stay more fun & make use of all available resources.

The scenery from our suite was awesome!!!! We requested for a 6.30am wake up call that was done & we viewed beautifully shaped beautifully snow capped Mt. Kenya peaks from the comfort of our room.

The room was very clean & room service was on point.
The place can get really cold in the evenings...we got them to light the fire at the chimney which warmed up the room. The food was well done with a wide variety & the chefs were really good engaging taking us though the different recepies.. The african dancers in the evening entertained us before bed & the music by the fireside outside was soothing as we talked the night away...

Loved this place!!! Am so going back there soon....

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny... The place can get really cold in the evenings...carry warm c...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Niall C, General Manager at Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback with regards to your stay.
We are most appreciative for your fantastic comments especially your thoughts on our engaging service, our warm welcome and the thoughtful personal touches that you experienced during your stay.
Our location is indeed quite magical and our grounds are maintained by a group of extremely passionate grounds men; who take delight in nurturing our expansive grounds with such incredible pride – it truly is a delight to work with such passionate colleagues!
Thank you for your wonderful feedback which I will eagerly share with the entire team – it is very much appreciated.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club - thank you for allowing us to turn your moments into memories.

Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Mt Kenya Safari Club continues to be most wonderful magical spot to visit. I recently visited after over 25 years and the place continues to be breathtaking. The Fairmont group have refurbished the club to the highest standards yet maintaining the traditional charm and warmth which the place was known for. Good food on offer, very scenic location and little touches like burning firewood in the rooms/cottages really make the visit memorable. A wonderful getaway from Nairobi and easily accessible with good tarmac roads throughout. Plenty of activities available on location to keep all busy. A must see if in Kenya and strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Any of the cottages are great, with the ones near the river truly wonderful
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Niall C, General Manager at Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Welcome back after 25 years! I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations and revived your memories of your previous visit.
The newly completed roads from Nairobi certainly make the hotel most accessible for a weekend getaway from Nairobi; it is actually, I find, a rather enjoyable drive.

GENERAL MANAGER

Been to Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club? Share your experiences!