“Superb getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Lake Elmentaita, Lake Elementaita 00502 , Kenya   |
Nairobi, Kenya
“Superb getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This AMAZING Lodge is tucked away close to Lake Elementaita, the drive there cheats you until you step into this hidden paradise. Once there, we were served some chilly drinks can i just say yuuuum yuuuum yummmy - what a way to receive your guests. Very friendly faces from the door and lunch was ready waiting for us. I must say great planning in advance which means we were never hungry, every meal was served at the specific time we requested. Reliable staff who went the extra mile to make us feel at home. Although overwhelmed by many other guests they still managed to wait on all of us.
The rooms were MAGICAL the whole lodge interior design is to die for!! Very vibrant and unique pieces. We learnt that most of the furniture was actually locally made. Even the complex itself - kudos to the owners for giving the local people jobs and an income by using their skills. Seriously i wish i could take the room home with me, the bed was SOOOOOO comfortable and the outside showers were amazing!!! There is a first to everything here.
The food was lovely and the drinks prices were actually affordable unlike other lodges i have visited near that area.
OHHHH how could i forget the breathe taking sunset - warm lavender, the orange glow and the blushing clouds canvasing the sky. Sadly we learnt a bit too late that they do arrange for romantic dinner's at the shore of Lake Elementaita. This i have to do, so Pelican Lodge look out for me, i shall be back soon. Keep up the magnificent work.

Room Tip: You have to get the honeymoon suites. The sunset and sunrise from those rooms (3&4) AMAZZZZING...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Lovely piece of paradise with a lovely ambiance over looking the lake. The food was good and service was quite fast. The rooms were impressive, elegantly designed, very comfortable and homely. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a luxurious out town holiday spot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

what a beautiful getaway for any occasion. I went there for my birthday surprise and wasnt i wowed by the whole beauty of the lake and the lodge. magnificent scenerios and 1st class rooms, i stayed at the honeymoon suites and believe me it was worth the money. ill defiently make an effort to make it my once in a year location.

Room Tip: select the honeymoon suites u will not be disappointed
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our stay at pelican was luxurious. The checking in was so professional and fast. The meals were great but unfortunately no much choice. The waitress milka was very attentive and friendly she took great care of us. The highlight of our visit was having breakfast by the lake. That was a beautiful experience. Our room had a magnificent view of the lake.The decor in the room was warm and cosy. The bed very comfortable. The outside shower was quite an experience. I would certainly recommend this lodge. For improvement though - breakfast ends at 0900 which is too early and dinenr ends at 2100h which again is too early. an extra hour would do!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bombay, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed in Pelican Lodge in Aug. 2012. It is near to the beautiful lake and in the night the atmosphere is really nice and romantic, the rooms were good and big, my room had an open shower which was amazing to me. food wise it's ok not much variety, but location and hotel rooms are excellent.

Amar.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but still try to go for Room 1 to 4.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
nairobi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

After booking on phone and via email in advance and getting a confirmation, for a night at Pelican lodge, we excitedly headed out to Lake Elementaita early that morning. halfway along the journey, i get a phone call.... with the same lady telling us that they have "given out our room".. Really?? It was very disappointing. I would never even consider recommending them again. Lucky for us, we are locals and we were able to keep going and find somewhere else to stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Paris, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Pelican Lodge was a brilliant and beautiful idea, but the day-to-day operation of the place could be improved.

We fell in love with the amazing view of Lake Elementaita, and the gorgeous decor of the lodge. Each cabin was beautifully appointed with lovely decor, modern fixtures and neat architectural details (such a hole in the wall that allows you to converse with others in the room while showering). I was happy to see mosquito nets and bottled water provided. I would have liked another pillow, as the ones provided were very flat and we only had two. Some of our group had extra pillows and extra blankets, while other rooms did not. Maybe they could scale back the pillows in the common room in exchange for extra pillows in the rooms ;) In the bathroom, the mirrors were placed very high. My husband, who is freakishly tall, was happy for once, while I had difficulty seeing myself in the mirror. Everything was shiny and new and clean.When my father asked if the resort was new, the manager told him "No.... we've been here for almost one year"!

My only concern with Pelican Lodge was that no one who worked there seemed to know what they were doing. The staff was absolutely friendly and eager to please, but they did not seem to have been trained for their roles. Check-in was a fiasco. It felt like a highschool event that was being organized by students. There is no front desk, so everything seemed to happen at a table in the common area. We were a group of eight and so were checking in to four rooms. There must have been six staff members standing there telling each other what to do but really not able to connect the correct guests to the correct luggage to the correct room. We were moved to three separate rooms in the first hour, and it was not our idea. I'm not sure why they wanted to move us to three different and yet identical rooms, but they did. It was an unfortunate beginning. They did, however, greet us with lovely mango punch which was a nice touch. I am allergic to mangos, and the server was quick to find an alternative juice for me, which I really appreciated. The bartender seemed unsure of what to do when handed money to pay for the drink orders later on. He had to go 'somewhere else' to get change. Maybe they just expect all drinks to be charged to the rooms, but as we had prepaid for our rooms as part of our safari package, we hadn't planned to pay for the rooms and the tab later. It took the bartender a half an hour to come back with change.

The food was quite good (beautiful presentation, satisfactory flavour), and the service was okay. I would expect better service for the style of accommodations, but I think they are still working out some bugs. I worked in hospitality services for years, so I always have a critical eye for details. Unfortunately, I don't think the management at Pelican Lodge has the same eye for details. The diningroom was lovely, but there was a mop left propped up in the corner, an iron and a pile of laundry on the sideboard and the cord from the coffee urn stretched across the guests' pathway to the breakfast buffet. Butter was rock hard and the toast cooked to 'rare' so there was some definite toast mutilation in the morning. However, the eggs were cooked perfectly and the chai masala was to die for.

We all appreciated the common room's fireplace in the evening, as it was quite chilly. However, we all thought it might be nice for them to have an outdoor firepit/bonfire for people to gather around. I think, however, that the mosquitos might make that impossible.

When I asked a group of staff members to take a picture of our group as we headed out in the morning (they were standing and watching us load the van), they all flatly refused and told me to ask our driver to take the picture instead. I'm not sure what that was about, as they were all eager to get into the next photo!

Overall, I would recommend Pelican Lodge. It's a wonderful space and we'll call it a work in progress. Be patient with the staff, as they are clearly still learning their jobs. Enjoy the lovely grounds and luxurious rooms. The staff will be kind and friendly and you will forgive them for their small mistakes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Pelican Lodge? Share your experiences!