“Excellent Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Lake Elementaita 00502 , Kenya   |
Bombay, India
“Excellent Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed in Pelican Lodge in Aug. 2012. It is near to the beautiful lake and in the night the atmosphere is really nice and romantic, the rooms were good and big, my room had an open shower which was amazing to me. food wise it's ok not much variety, but location and hotel rooms are excellent.

Amar.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but still try to go for Room 1 to 4.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
nairobi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

After booking on phone and via email in advance and getting a confirmation, for a night at Pelican lodge, we excitedly headed out to Lake Elementaita early that morning. halfway along the journey, i get a phone call.... with the same lady telling us that they have "given out our room".. Really?? It was very disappointing. I would never even consider recommending them again. Lucky for us, we are locals and we were able to keep going and find somewhere else to stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Paris, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Pelican Lodge was a brilliant and beautiful idea, but the day-to-day operation of the place could be improved.

We fell in love with the amazing view of Lake Elementaita, and the gorgeous decor of the lodge. Each cabin was beautifully appointed with lovely decor, modern fixtures and neat architectural details (such a hole in the wall that allows you to converse with others in the room while showering). I was happy to see mosquito nets and bottled water provided. I would have liked another pillow, as the ones provided were very flat and we only had two. Some of our group had extra pillows and extra blankets, while other rooms did not. Maybe they could scale back the pillows in the common room in exchange for extra pillows in the rooms ;) In the bathroom, the mirrors were placed very high. My husband, who is freakishly tall, was happy for once, while I had difficulty seeing myself in the mirror. Everything was shiny and new and clean.When my father asked if the resort was new, the manager told him "No.... we've been here for almost one year"!

My only concern with Pelican Lodge was that no one who worked there seemed to know what they were doing. The staff was absolutely friendly and eager to please, but they did not seem to have been trained for their roles. Check-in was a fiasco. It felt like a highschool event that was being organized by students. There is no front desk, so everything seemed to happen at a table in the common area. We were a group of eight and so were checking in to four rooms. There must have been six staff members standing there telling each other what to do but really not able to connect the correct guests to the correct luggage to the correct room. We were moved to three separate rooms in the first hour, and it was not our idea. I'm not sure why they wanted to move us to three different and yet identical rooms, but they did. It was an unfortunate beginning. They did, however, greet us with lovely mango punch which was a nice touch. I am allergic to mangos, and the server was quick to find an alternative juice for me, which I really appreciated. The bartender seemed unsure of what to do when handed money to pay for the drink orders later on. He had to go 'somewhere else' to get change. Maybe they just expect all drinks to be charged to the rooms, but as we had prepaid for our rooms as part of our safari package, we hadn't planned to pay for the rooms and the tab later. It took the bartender a half an hour to come back with change.

The food was quite good (beautiful presentation, satisfactory flavour), and the service was okay. I would expect better service for the style of accommodations, but I think they are still working out some bugs. I worked in hospitality services for years, so I always have a critical eye for details. Unfortunately, I don't think the management at Pelican Lodge has the same eye for details. The diningroom was lovely, but there was a mop left propped up in the corner, an iron and a pile of laundry on the sideboard and the cord from the coffee urn stretched across the guests' pathway to the breakfast buffet. Butter was rock hard and the toast cooked to 'rare' so there was some definite toast mutilation in the morning. However, the eggs were cooked perfectly and the chai masala was to die for.

We all appreciated the common room's fireplace in the evening, as it was quite chilly. However, we all thought it might be nice for them to have an outdoor firepit/bonfire for people to gather around. I think, however, that the mosquitos might make that impossible.

When I asked a group of staff members to take a picture of our group as we headed out in the morning (they were standing and watching us load the van), they all flatly refused and told me to ask our driver to take the picture instead. I'm not sure what that was about, as they were all eager to get into the next photo!

Overall, I would recommend Pelican Lodge. It's a wonderful space and we'll call it a work in progress. Be patient with the staff, as they are clearly still learning their jobs. Enjoy the lovely grounds and luxurious rooms. The staff will be kind and friendly and you will forgive them for their small mistakes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

a very beautiful lodge with exceptional customer service. they were very organized and patient with our kids. rooms are very modern with the right lodge feel. a good place to unwind and relax . the only downside is there is a fair bit of noise coming of the highway especially at night . excellent keep it up!

• Stayed July 2012
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I never wanted to leave after staying here for a surprise birthday trip.
The rooms themselves are stunning and huge, with a balcony which has a view of the lake Elementaita,
The decor is very modern, with some traditional pieces which makes the room look very lovely.
It has gorgeous bathrooms (inside and outside showers)
The service from the time we arrived to the time we left - perfect! The staff goes above and beyond to make you feel welcomed and at home.
The meals were amazing.
We had many activities and it was the best birthday i ever had. The Pelican Lodge is the place to be i would really love to go back there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

From the moment we arrived everything was absolutely amazing. Throughout
our entire trip the customer service was
excellent. Our honeymoon suite was more amazing than we had imagined. While lounging by the pool, staff was always close by to bring drinks or anything else you needed. The
food was wonderful! From the breakfast
to our private dinner on the shores of lake elementaita. Every
single thing about the lodge impressed us, I don't think we had one unpleasant experience during our 7 nights stay.We had a truly amazing honeymoon
and have recommended the pelican lodge in kenya to all of our newly engaged friends. We came home completely relaxed, and the least favorite part of our honeymoon was packing to go home. What a wonderful way to start our married life.

• Stayed June 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I hand a three nights stay at the pelican Lodge and i had the best of time. The staff are good and gave me a truly 5 star service in this 5 star lodge.

My room was clean, artistically decorated with a very spacious bathroom in a quiet environment. The rooms are so inviting you spend the whole day just between the room and your private veranda overlooking lake Elementaita.

Food was very good prepared the way i wanted it and at the time i needed it. Pretty of activities, swimming, bird watching and a good nature at the shores of the lake.

My warmest congratulations to the lodge staff for there exceptional service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Pelican Lodge? Share your experiences!