“Rappelling in Birch Hollow” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 activities in Springdale
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Adventure guide service for the Zion National Park and Southern Utah areas. Canyoneering, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Family Adventure, and Instructional Courses.We provide experienced guides at competitive rates.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Rappelling in Birch Hollow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had Zach as our tour guide. He took us (family of 5) to Birch Hollow Canyon for a full day of rappelling. It was a wonderful adventure and we all had a lot of fun. We did about 10 or 11 rappels, way more than I expected. Birch Hollow is a beautiful canyon, and we got some amazing pictures. It is a dry canyon, so no worries about getting wet. Zach was a great guide and I highly recommend him. The toughest part of the day was hiking out of the canyon at the end of the day in the hot sun - it was a long, steep climb back to the car. But it was worth it!

San Diego
“Amazing canyoneering experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

For a trip to Zion with my family and my sister's family, I was looking for activities that would appeal to the whole group and be appropriate to the somewhat different ages and fitness levels. The full day canyoneering trip through Red Desert Adventures with Dan fit the bill and more. Since I had not been canyoneering before I'm not sure what I expected, but it was so much more fun and exciting than I ever anticipated. Not only was the repelling fun and challenging, although scary at first, the scenery of the slot canyon was beautiful as well. I would definately recommend a canyoneering trip with Red Desert Adventures for anyone looking for a challenging and exciting way to spend a day at Zion.

Irvine, California
5 attraction reviews
“Full-Day Canyoneering Trip through Birch Hollow Canyon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our full-day canyoneering trip in Birch Hollow Canyon exceeded our expectations in terms of the number and length of rappels we got to do and in terms of the sheer beauty of the varied landscape we traveled through. Getting to rappel our way through a slot canyon was simply an amazing experience that we will never forget -- there were many times when we just had to pause midway through a rappel and hang in the air for a few seconds so that we could look around and take it all in. Our guide, Zach, was great at giving us tips on how to approach different rappels and made us feel safe the whole way through.

The only negative comment I have is that although the tour was billed out to be a "private" tour -- and we did get our own guide just for the two of us -- we ended up spending most of our day in close proximity with another (slower) group also doing a full-day canyoneering tour with Red Desert. The worst part was that at the end of the day, when we were hot, tired, and ready to get back to our hotel so we can shower and lie down, we were forced to have to wait around for that other group to complete the strenuous hike out of the canyon because Red Desert had arranged our two groups' separate "private" tours such that we somehow had to share the same car back on the return trip. For us, the whole point of booking a private tour is that we can be on our own time and not have to wait around for other people. Ultimately, this was an annoyance that didn't ruin our day or our generally positive feelings about Red Desert, but it did result in a 4-star review rather than 5-star review.

Visited July 2013
RedDesertAdventure, Owner at Red Desert Adventure, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your business and the honest review. We wanted to clarify that while we did plan on both birch hollow groups sharing the 20min shuttle back to the trail head, we did not plan on driving both groups back to Springdale together. This happened because the guide left his pack at the top of the last rappel and decided to do the entire canyoneering route over again to avoid loosing his pack, this is the only time this has ever happened. We typically spread our trips out into different canyoneering areas in an effort to provide a isolated wilderness experience but the heatwave contributed to our decision to send both full-day trips to birch because it has the coolest temperatures. We apologize for not creating enough space between the two trips and that this affected your experience negatively.
“Birch Hollow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I booked a canyoneering trip for my 17 yr old son and I for our trip to Zion based on all the excellent reviews. We were not disappointed. Our guide Dan was great! I loof forward to bringing my younger son on this same trip when he is old enough.

Visited June 2013
“Red Desert Adventures were great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We had no repelling experience but wanted to hike a repelling canyon (The Subway) where guides are not allowed. So Red Desert took us on a half day canyoneering course to learn the ropes. (pun intended) we had a great time. Lots of fun and learned a lot. We could not have done our hike the next day safely had it not been for them.
Also we had a wide range of skill levels on the trip and they nicely were able to accommodate us all.

Visited June 2013