“Mule ride at the High Sierra Camps” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite High Sierra Camps

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yosemite National Park
Yosemite High Sierra Camps
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park, CA   |
Cave City, AR
“Mule ride at the High Sierra Camps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I called in March 2012 to see if they had any openings to ride mules and go to all of the High Sierra camps and they did. My husband, 11 yr old son, and myself went along with 7 other riders and 3 wranglers. Our trip was in July 2012. They did a good job and picking out a mule for my son and another 15 yr old on the trip, nothing fazed those mules; however mine got a little spooked occasionally over things like logs, birds, snakes and ?. He would jumped starled or one time he spined sideways and ran over to the side luckily he stopped and I did not fall off. You have to wear helments but after seeing all of the rocks on the trail, and a mule who spooked; I was very glad to have mine. All of the camps had pretty good meals and hot drinks before the meals, I wished they would put a lantern in the mess camp so you could play cards or games at night but they didn't so unless you built a campfire (which we had 2) there wasn't much to do but go to bed, which some nights that is all I wanted to do. You do need your fleece jackets, we used ours every morning and evening, but our t shirts were fine by mid morning. My son swamed in every camp that had a creek or lake nearby, and the cold did not seem to bother him. The trails were dusty so you needed your bandana. We had some really nice wranglers who I enjoyed talking to. Overall we had a good time, if you like riding, moutains, and national parks, you should do this trip.

Room Tip: Even if you do not get the lottery, you should call to see if they have any openings if you are flex...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

What a great experience! Hiked into Tuolomne Meadows Camp and was met by a beautiful waterfall with an ice cold pool to cool off in. Great food, friendly staff, and a great sunset. They even gave us wood for a group campfire that night. The tents are functional and clean, with a wood stove for heat (which we needed). We shared ours, which worked out well.

Water shortages prevented showering, but otherwise it was perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Fredericksburg, TX USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The camps worked beautifully! I loved having a wonderful dinner and breakfast made for me each day, with the optional lunch ready for me to pick up each morning. The tents were just fine and made it so much easier to hike knowing I didn't have to carry my tent or set up/take down each day. Staff was friendly and resourceful. Went to each of the camps and found each one to be just what we needed.

Room Tip: Singles are assigned based on gender (when available) and couples assigned with one other couple. T...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I entered the lottery in November and was successful in getting 4 places for a 5 day/4 night guided hike in August. After many years of unsuccessful lottery applications, I think it helped that I was flexible in dates (I gave them a 2 week window) and I included the option of the Ranger Guided hike. The 5 day Guided hikes are somewhat easy to get, the 7 days sell out more quickly. You only pay a small premium to have the guided trip.
Our expereince was wonderful, Jana was a fantastic Ranger guide, and we got along very well with the other 6 people on our trip.
First night was Vogelsang, then down to Merced Lake, with a lay over night, then up to Sunrise camp and then out to Tuolumie Meadows.
I'm a regular hiker, but the circuit was a bit challenging, the heat and rocks and elevation gain and losses make it somewhat challenging, but the comfort of the tent camps makes it all worth it. YOu need to bring a sleep sheet, and your personal gear, so you'll end up carrying a pack around 20 lbs, which is much better than a 30 + pack. Vogelsand and Sunrise camps have wood stoves in the tents, making them toasty warm, and Merced is low enough to be warm.
The food was very good considering it comes in by pack mule, and is plentiful and healthy.

Room Tip: They book you in, Vogelsang and Sunrise are particularly beautiful
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Dear DNC Customer Service,

My husband and I walked into Merced High Sierra Camp in Yosemite NP during a lighting, hail and rain storm this last July 30 - we later heard it was the storm of the decade. As holiday hikers we weren’t planning on being a part of that sort of excitement.

Your staff was amazing. Brady(?) couldn’t have been more gracious, transforming a miserable experience into a warm and happy memory for us and many others.

As you can imagine, wet leads to cold. Your staff got large amounts of hot water for tea and hot chocolate out for all, they stoked the fire in the mess tent and went out to find those stranded by high water and bad weather. There were quite a few guests who needed to be wrapped in blankets and set in front of the fire upon arrival.

At one point the whole camp was flooded with a fast moving stream of hail, water and debris. The staff had prepped a few of the tented camps for guests at this point, but the storm flooded all. As soon as the rain stopped, your crew cleaned each tent out.

Your chef made an unbelievably delicious dinner that night (steak), and a great breakfast the next day. All of which we enjoyed thoroughly.

We can’t thank you enough for the gracious hospitality we received. If your camp had not had the hard working, diligent crew it has, there would have been a lot of stranded, miserable, hypothermic guests.

Thank you for providing us with a chance to enjoy your terrific staff and a beautiful part of America.

Room Tip: Good luck if you can get one!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Green Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

There are no en-suite baths, no electricity, no WiFi, no heat, and you have to walk several miles to the next camp. By putting up with these conditions you get to see some wonderfully beautiful scenery -- lakes, mountains, forests, wildlife, etc. You do not need to carry your food or bedding -- each camp has tents for sleeping and a small staff to prepare fabulous meals. For us it was an experience of a lifetime just to see such wonderful sights and be so close to nature.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Yosemite High Sierra Camps? Share your experiences!