“Fun communal dining! and a tip about breakfast.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New York City
“Fun communal dining! and a tip about breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We enjoyed the communal dining experience at this lodge, especially for dinner. The napkins had a map of all the trails in the area, which was a handy reference when talking to fellow hikers. We met some great people, many of whom had been coming to Tuolumne Meadows lodge for years and years. The food was good - not particularly special, but satisfying after a long day in the high country. Be sure to make reservations! It opens at 7AM for breakfast but be warned: breakfast takes at least 1 hour so if you have hopes of hitting the trails before 8AM, your best bet is to buy some packaged muffins or something at the Tuolumne Meadows store before it closes the night before and store it in the bear box. You can eat in the lobby of the Lodge when it opens at 7AM - they build a fire and put out free coffee, so it was nice and toasty in there. That's what we did when we hiked Cloud's Rest - we were on the trail by 7:45AM!

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Menlo Park CA
“Flash back time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Why not go back to the '50's for a dining experience? One is seated around a large table, drink and food (as I recall three choices for main course) are taken. Big bowl of salad is served, then the main. Plenty of time to talk to the others at the table. Nice community experience.
Supposed to have reservations, but one, or two, could just wait for the next seating just to see if they can get in.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Papaaloa, Hawaii
“Good food, Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We enjoyed a tasty meal of bread, salad, grilled trout with veggies and mashed potatoes for $17.95. Beer and wine were available as was dessert and soup. The food was good but the location at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge can't be beat. Just a short distance to the amazing Lyell Creek, which was raging during our visit. The seating is European style at a a table of 8, so unless you have 8 in your party you'll be enjoying the company of others whom you don't know. Our experience was great as we met some friendly folks--3 other couples. Reservations are definitely needed as it fills up with Lodge guests, hikers, campers and who knows who else. Service was good. A nice treat after 3 nights of camping and camping food.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
St. Louis Mo
“Great Food in the High Sierra”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

As others have said, this place was great, but make sure you get a reservation for dinner, otherwise you are out of luck. The only other place close is the Tuolumne Grill down the road, and they close at 5 PM, and the menu was not impressive.

Since it is so remote, there is no competion, and the prices are high. I belive I had the cheapest entre on the menu, the trout at $19, and it was very good. It included two sides (potato and veggies). My wife had the chicken of the day ($23) and it was good as well. My daughter had some pasta off the kids menu that she enjoyed. All diners also shared a very good salad at the start of the meal and fresh bread. We shared a piece of Chocolate cake that was also good.

All diners are put at a table of eight. It was interesting to meet other people in this enviroment. We were given advice on hikes to take (May Lake in the snow was great), and we enjoyed listening to others' experiences. It was a very relaxing evening.

We also had breakfast here once. They had Oatmeal, cereal, danish and fruit for 6.95, including coffee or juice. Or you could add an egg or pancake dish for 3 dollars more. We stuck with the continental, and thought it good but a little expensive. It beat pop-tarts at the bear lockers though.

At both meals the service was excellent

We really loved the Tuolumne Lodge restaurant. I don't know if it was because the place was so good, or we were so hungry and tired, but it really hit the spot.

Santa Rosa, California
“Dining at the Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

I didn't stay at Tuolumne Lodge: I came in after 6 pm at the campground and set up my tent before dinner. Since I knew I'd be arriving close to sunset, I had taken the precaution of phoning the lodge ahead of time to get a dinner reservation. This worked great and saved me having to cook and eat dinner in the dark!

Since I was alone, they seated me at a table with a collection of Lodge guests. The salad and bread arrive at the table first, and guests can serve themselves, family-style. Both the bread and salad were above-average in quality. The server who took our drink orders was extremely helpful and welcoming. I didn't order wine but I noticed several of my favorites on the list.

The menu at the lodge is small but offers variety: the man next to me ordered a salmon entree, two people ordered the lausagne, and there were other choices including chicken or a vegan entree. A children's menu offered classic kid favorites. I ordered a burger, thinking it would be more than enough for me, considering that I was getting soup, salad, and bread.

Soup was also included: it arrived after we ordered our entrees. My burger was 1/4 pound, and included both a side vegetable and a small serving of mashed potatoes (I could have ordered fries). Everything was delicious - and remember, I hadn't even been out hiking the trails to work up an appetite.

I ordered dessert, too: a delicious piece of berry pie. I was the only one at our table who ordered it: everyone else, who ordered dinners, was far too full to consider dessert.

My tab was about $17.00, which I considered quite reasonable. For the dinners, most people were probably paying close to $25, especially if they ordered wine. It was pretty much the same prices you would have in any other resort area such as Tahoe.
Quite a good choice for dinner- a good splurge, even if you're on a backpacker budget!