I like camping in cold weather and was at Camp Four this past Christmas. A snow storm blew through as soon as we set up camp but we only got about 3-4 inches in the following 18 hours. This was my first experience at Camp Four, but I discovered it is a great place to winter camp.
- The bathroom was semi-heated
- The sink water was luke warm (rather than frigid cold like most other taps)
- Camp Four gets much more sun than Upper Pines (the other open campground on the Valley floor) and so is warmer during the day
- No reservations (perhaps a con in the summer)... and not needed in winter...only 4 other tents around!
- Just a few minutes walk to Yosemite Lodge for supplies or hot meal if you need
- Cheaper than Upper Pines if fewer than 4 people
- You have to park in a parking lot and walk in (distance depends on which site you choose)
- No individual sites - you'd have to share grill and space when it gets crowded