“we were happy to be able to stay in the valley!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Curry Village

Save Saved
You added Curry Village to your Saves list
Curry Village
1.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   9010 Curry Village Drive, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389   |
New Hampshire
“we were happy to be able to stay in the valley!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We spent one night in a signature tent cabin last summer. We stayed right before the breaking news of the Hanta virus. We spent our second night at the Yosemite Lodge. The only reason we were in Curry Village was because I could not get two nights at the lodge.
There were pros and cons to our stay.
Pros-staying in the valley was a amazing!!! Our cabin was spotless. The beds were comfortable. Towels and bedding were provided. There was a safe in the cabin. We slept well and even though we were right across from the bathrooms, we didnt find it to be noisy We loved the campfire program at night. We had pizza for lunch and it was both good and reasonably priced. the camp store was well stocked and we purchased a few snacks and souviners. All of the workers were very nice, helpful and welcoming. We rented bikes in Curry village for the entire day and really had a blast using them. The pool was not open, but we were given passes to use the pool at the Lodge, which we did.
Cons-parking was a HUGE issue. This was made worse by the fact we happened to be there on the one day of the year when part of the parking lot is closed for apple picking!! We parked in the bike rental lot and let me tell you that was a longgggg haul with our stuff. We knew that we couldnt check in until 5:00, but it was still a pain. By havng it so late, everyone arrives at the same time and there was a long line. The tent cabins are simply too close together. The bathrooms were always super busy. They needed more, but we managed. I think we paid close to 150.00 for our night......that was way overpriced. Now here is my biggest con and it still makes me angry. Now we checked into the cabin, before the news broke about the first Hanta virus death. However, i have since learned that over the years a few people have died of Hanta virus in the park. I think at check in, it would be prudent for staff to warn guests about precations to take if you see mouse dropping in your cabin. (we never saw any, but that is besides the point) The knowledge is there, but if it is not shared it is useless. We live in the east coast and had never heard of Hanta virus. I have seen plenty of mouse droppings over the years and when I did I never saw them as dangerous. We were warned over and over and over again about the bears, but nothing about the possibility of deadly mouse droppings. I feel that is a HUGE fail on Yosemites part.
We had an AWESOME time in Yosemite and I can't wait to return. However, I will avoid staying overnight in Curry Village.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
San Bruno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed this weekend in a heated tent cabin. They are made of canvas and the low outside was 24 degrees. The tent heater kept the interior about 50, which was fine for my husband and I, but the tent next door had a child in diapers. She was cold and crying much of the night. The tents are only 3 feet apart, and several campers lost sleep because of her crying.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at Camp Curry a couple of days after the Hantavirus outbreak hit the news in 2012. Thankfully the staff took it in their stride and moved us from one of the effected tents to a different area of the camp without any fuss or drama.

The tent we stayed in was adequately equipped and comfortable, although a little pricey compared to the cost of staying in an average hotel elsewhere in California. We opted to have breakfast included, and the spread and choice was great. As stated in the camp rules, most people quieten down at around 10pm and if you need to be social, the lounge area is a great facility (although the WiFi a little congested and slow).

If there are any downsides it would be the constant hassle of having to use a bear box (but live with it - better than bears on camp!) and the toilet/shower blocks are a little basic and rough.

In all Curry Village is a great experience and one that we would recommend without hesitation, even if "camping" isn't really your thing (this isn't really "camping"). Hopefully we'll get the opportunity to return one day.

Yosemite itself is stunning; but that is a whole subject in itself.

Room Tip: No real need to pay for one of the more deluxe tents. Just enjoy the experience!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our stay at Curry Village was as expected -- a canvas tent with three cots. We stayed there for a couple of nights during our ascend to Half-Dome. The trail was only a few feet from our tent. The bathrooms for the most part were constantly cleaned and there was food, shop, internet access at the main gate which is about a 5 minute walk from pour tent.

This place is bare minimum with some electricity mainly for lighting. Apart from AT&T, there is no cell-phone coverage, but you can tap in the wi-fi at the main gate area.

It's a perfect location if you're there to enjoy to beauty of Yosemite and plan to climb/hike. If you're just coming to enjoy the scenery and not expecting to rough it out a little bit, then I would recommend staying at a lodge or hotel nearby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I went there to spend three nights in May. When the accommodation offered no more and no less than what we were expecting, the noise levels created by young pupils slightly impacted our enjoyment of the place. This said, if we had been going with our family, this would be our place of choice!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed in Curry Village in a tent cabin in July 2012. The location is fantastic. It is right in the heart of the valley, walking distance to a couple of food options, lounge, store, etc. You can rent bikes right there and pedal all over the valley. Good times. The tent itself is fine. The beds are okay, safe in the room, a couple of shelves, and not much else. It was a bit dusty but hey, it's a tent. Now let me just say, I love Yosemite, and I really really love Curry Village. The scenery is obviously amazing, and I just really like the atmosphere at Camp Curry. Earlier in the summer, we stayed in Stoneman House with our kids. Pricey for what you get, but we would totally stay there again. No onto the tent area situation...There are so many tents shoved into such a small area, the noise is unbelievable. Truly. Crying babies (bless their little hearts), loud people, party types, you name it. If we had not taken a grand 14 mile hike that day ending in complete exhaustion, I don't think I would have slept much at all. As it was, the noise went late into the night and started up early in the morning. We have also camped in a tent in Upper Pines, and even though that was one of the most crowded campgrounds I have ever stayed in, the noise was very minimal. We will definitely go back to Yosemite, but we will never again stay in a tent cabin!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Almost 30 years between overnight stays at Curry Village and I remember both much more vividly than some of the ***** resorts I've stayed at. The first visit in the early 1980s was with a girlfriend and it was a fun adventure. I may have thought it was upscale at that stage of my life! In the summer of 2012 I returned with two teenage sons -- they stayed in one tent/cabin and the adults stayed at our own next door. The boys loved the adventure -- the sounds at night ("was that a bear being shot?"), the smell of fire-pits, the crackling underfoot. Yeah, my girlfriend (not the same one as in the 1980s) was more turned off by the bathrooms than the rest of us, but it was as 'camping out' as my not-so-camping-out kind of family would be up for. This was a great family adventure...but for those of us who consider roadside motels camping out, it's for the kids more than the grown-ups.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Curry Village? Share your experiences!