“Great location if you're going hiking or climbing Half-Dome...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Curry Village

Save Saved
You added Curry Village to your Saves list
Curry Village
1.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   9010 Curry Village Drive, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389   |
New Jersey
“Great location if you're going hiking or climbing Half-Dome...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our stay at Curry Village was as expected -- a canvas tent with three cots. We stayed there for a couple of nights during our ascend to Half-Dome. The trail was only a few feet from our tent. The bathrooms for the most part were constantly cleaned and there was food, shop, internet access at the main gate which is about a 5 minute walk from pour tent.

This place is bare minimum with some electricity mainly for lighting. Apart from AT&T, there is no cell-phone coverage, but you can tap in the wi-fi at the main gate area.

It's a perfect location if you're there to enjoy to beauty of Yosemite and plan to climb/hike. If you're just coming to enjoy the scenery and not expecting to rough it out a little bit, then I would recommend staying at a lodge or hotel nearby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I went there to spend three nights in May. When the accommodation offered no more and no less than what we were expecting, the noise levels created by young pupils slightly impacted our enjoyment of the place. This said, if we had been going with our family, this would be our place of choice!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed in Curry Village in a tent cabin in July 2012. The location is fantastic. It is right in the heart of the valley, walking distance to a couple of food options, lounge, store, etc. You can rent bikes right there and pedal all over the valley. Good times. The tent itself is fine. The beds are okay, safe in the room, a couple of shelves, and not much else. It was a bit dusty but hey, it's a tent. Now let me just say, I love Yosemite, and I really really love Curry Village. The scenery is obviously amazing, and I just really like the atmosphere at Camp Curry. Earlier in the summer, we stayed in Stoneman House with our kids. Pricey for what you get, but we would totally stay there again. No onto the tent area situation...There are so many tents shoved into such a small area, the noise is unbelievable. Truly. Crying babies (bless their little hearts), loud people, party types, you name it. If we had not taken a grand 14 mile hike that day ending in complete exhaustion, I don't think I would have slept much at all. As it was, the noise went late into the night and started up early in the morning. We have also camped in a tent in Upper Pines, and even though that was one of the most crowded campgrounds I have ever stayed in, the noise was very minimal. We will definitely go back to Yosemite, but we will never again stay in a tent cabin!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Almost 30 years between overnight stays at Curry Village and I remember both much more vividly than some of the ***** resorts I've stayed at. The first visit in the early 1980s was with a girlfriend and it was a fun adventure. I may have thought it was upscale at that stage of my life! In the summer of 2012 I returned with two teenage sons -- they stayed in one tent/cabin and the adults stayed at our own next door. The boys loved the adventure -- the sounds at night ("was that a bear being shot?"), the smell of fire-pits, the crackling underfoot. Yeah, my girlfriend (not the same one as in the 1980s) was more turned off by the bathrooms than the rest of us, but it was as 'camping out' as my not-so-camping-out kind of family would be up for. This was a great family adventure...but for those of us who consider roadside motels camping out, it's for the kids more than the grown-ups.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Let me say that I've been going to Yosemite since I was a baby (yes, an infant) and I love it. However, I am not a huge fan of the valley - it's FAR too crowded and expensive. I prefer to be in Tuolumne Meadows or, even better, backpacking/hiking in the high country where you often go for hours without seeing anyone. All of that being said, sometimes you need a "home base" if you plan do day hikes out of the valley. It's near impossible to get a campground reservation so Curry is a must do sometimes. While we've stayed in the cabins, the Signature tent cabins and the unheated tent cabins, this review is for the heated tent cabin. We were in the park during the height of the Hantivirus outbreak so our Signature cabin was closed. We were given a heated tent cabin instead. I didn't want the heat, I wanted the electrical outlet. The outlet worked fine. We were well informed about the health hazards and we felt safe being there. The cabin was clean enough and the bedding was comfortable. The new shower houses were very nice and the bathrooms were generally clean. Like I said before, I find the valley too crowded but, for the sheer number of people using the facilities at Camp Curry, I think they do a good job.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
UAE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We booked a heated tent. It was a good experience and value for money. Arrival was a bit rough as we checked in early but thought of going to room after dark which took us over an hour to find in dark as numbering is not in proper series, in terms of rows of tents.
Washrooms are accessible by code only, cleanliness was average.
Location is amazing. We were told it's fully booked but it did not seem to be fully booked.
Pizza place had long queues but it was well worth the wait.
Parking was a bit difficult to find
Overall not bad option for budget travel.

Room Tip: Try to get something closer to road so you can find your way back easily at night.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tahoe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just got back from 3 nights in Yosemite. Stayed at the Stoneman House in Curry Village. Let me first say the park and the sights are second to none (Yosemite = 5 Stars). Absolutely amazing. I visited Yosemite about 30 years ago and had no appreciation at the time for the truly stunning landscape. Here are some of the good/great things about Yosemite:
1. Views - Arguably some of the best views/ scenery perhaps in the world.
2. Ice Skating - This was a blast and located right next to our room in Stoneman House @ Curry Village.
3. Gift Store @ Curry Village - 75% OFF everything (due to renovation they are clearing out). We got some amazing gifts & souvenirs at blow out deals.
4. Shuttle Bus (to Badger Pass) - This was free (included with park admission of $20). Very nice bus, ran on-time and provided opportunity to enjoy the scenery.
5. Yosemite Village - Very neat area with museum and outdoor interpretive walk. The Yosemite Valley is pretty flat so it is really easy to explore the area.
6. Docent/ Ranger Walks - We did a (free) 90 minute walk with a park ranger/ naturalist. This was informative and offered a good mile or so loop.

NOT SO GOOD:
1. Rates - We paid almost $200/ night for Stoneman House. This facility is worth about $19/ night anywhere else in the United States. I understand Yosemite is not in close proximity to freeways. But this rate is totally without justification. I can only assume DNC is making obscene amounts of money or the National Park/ Dept of Interior is making obscene amounts of money. Somebody is ripping off the end user/ consumer.
2. Heat in Stoneman House - There are 2 options for heat, Sauna or meat locker. This made sleeping really uncomfortable as I was either getting up or down to turn the heater on or off. A thermostat is a novel idea that would also SAVE lots of money (and perhaps provide for lower rates).
Food - Prices, like the room, are way too high. Again, I understand location requires somewhat of a premium BUT 2, 3 or 4x grocery store prices does not make sense. DNC should contract with FedEx if they are unable to offer more reasonable pricing.
Badger Pass - Ran out of rental equipment for most common sizes so I was unable to ski. Signed up kids (8, 7) for a beginner lesson. Too many other kids in the lesson so virtually zero attention per child (except for the 1 kid that could not stand up on skis got 75% of the attention). The beginner/ rope tow hill is way to short and almost flat so it makes it really hard to learn when you are spending more time in line than skiing.
Tubing - I took 1 look at their excuse for a tubing hill and laughed. I thought I was missing something. The run was about 50 yards long. 1 tube at a time. Very gradual, almost flat. This tubing hill is for 2 year old at best.

I hope to get back to Yosemite ASAP. Next time will be spring or summer and will not stay in Stoneman House or any other facility. Camping will hopefully be a more economic option.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Curry Village? Share your experiences!