“Well priced, comfortable and a fun experience.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Curry Village

You added Curry Village to your Saves list
Curry Village
1.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   9010 Curry Village Drive, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389   |
Havelock North, New Zealand
“Well priced, comfortable and a fun experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

A great way to enjoy the environment in the heart of Yosemite.

I would recommend getting a tent away from the main amenities (those with showers) as the noise of the extractors/boilers along with the blazing arc lights will ensure little/no sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid locating near the main amenities...the idea may appeal but for a good nights rest a couple of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed in a tent cabin - they are pretty much exactly as they look in the picture... It's noisy and not exactly luxury BUT what you're paying for is location and it is WOW. You are ideally situated for the shuttle bus and many top hikes. The pizza deck and buffet diner and good and the staff are all really friendly - could have done without the virus stress when landing home but that's no ones fault. I'd happily stay here again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Luxury camping...

I will start off by stating that I am not a camping kind of girl. I enjoy a hot shower in the morning, comfy bed, and four walls around me. Despite that fact, and the recent scare of the hanta virus, I decided to rough it and book a night in Curry Village.

Let's start off with the elephant in the room. The media informed me of the hanta virus scare. I was so well informed that I questioned wether I should go. But shortly after I made the reservation I received an email from the reservations department informing me of the situation. A few weeks later I than received a call informing me about the situation again. I was given plenty of notice to cancel my reservation if I felt like I was placing myself in an unsafe environment. With all of the warnings I felt like the National Park Service and Delaware North were well aware and doing what they could do to further prevent another incident.

Upon check in we were met by Ashley. She acted very professional as she informed us of all of the policies and procedures. She even dealt with our giggling ways as we acted in shock to where we had to shower. I had prepared myself with a towel even though one was not needed.

As stated before I am a city girl and was offered assistance with luggage. Rolling suitcase, sleeping bag, pillow, and makeup/bathroom bag was too much to handle for a single girl. TheAssistant Manager, Antonio, offered to send assistance to us. Bell service camping style!

Upon entering out room I was shocked to see that a sleeping bag was not needed. The temperature was not too cold but I was thankful that I chose to sleep in my sleeping bag for the night. I will also say that after signing the Bear Policy I was thankful that a Bear Locker was provided outside of my tent!

With thin canvas walls I was prepared to hear every single sound of camping neighbors. I was able to sleep in and enjoy a slow start to the morning.

Bathrooms were shockingly clean and a towel was provided, I had an extra one because I was unsure.

In the end I was thankful for the reasonably priced and friendly Curry Village. I was able to walk to all of my destinations and enjoy a clean rooming situation while visiting a beautiful National Park.

Despite the lack of waterfalls I still enjoyed the beauty of Yosemite. I loved the fact that I was not surrounded by other tourists and was able to enjoy the serene environment with friends.

I will be back!

• Stayed September 2012
San Juan Cosala, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We've camped for decades, but I'm not sure I would call this camping. Warehousing, maybe. We had originally reserved a signature cabin but, due to the hanta virus, changed to a tent cabin. I'm not a clean freak, but this wasn't clean enough for me. The floors and walls were dusty. The ceiling had mold. The bedding seemed clean. The mattress was thin, but comfortable enough. The tents were spaced so closely that whispers could be heard from neighboring tents. Forget about privacy and perhaps even a good nights sleep. For the men there were only 6 shower stalls, two toilets and two urinals for about two hundred tents, judging by the map we were given. How is that adequate during the summer months? The shower stall and dressing areas are small and I was suspicious of the cleanliness. Yes, the location is beautiful and handy for hiking, but I wouldn't stay here again.

Bishop, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed in an unheated signature tent from September 16th - 18th and it was an overall good experience. I knew about the hantavirus outbreak and the staff made sure that we were aware of it when we booked and checked in. There are flyers all over the area telling you what to watch for and how to protect yourselves. There area that had the outbreak it shut off to the public and has yellow caution tape around it. The upside to all this is that we were able to book a tent for $80 per night only a few days in advance! Usually you have to book a year in advance sometimes at double the price so take advantage people.

We checked in at 2:45pm and got room number 545 which is kinda in the middle of the campsite. We were two cabins down from a shared restroom and we didn't have any trouble with any noise. That's probably because there werent many people willing to stay there. Our tent had no mouse droppings, no holes but there was dust and a few spiderwebs (no spiders). I took extra caution and brought Lysol and sprayed down the entire cabin even though the threat of getting the virus is virtually gone. We also brought lots of hand sanitizer because we didn't know that there would already be sanitizers placed in all the main hang out zones. It was just the two of us so we received one double bed and one single in our tent. We used the single bed to keep our things up off the floor. The space was a little tight in between the two beds but not unmanageable. There was also a chair and a safe to keep importants in. I would suggest bringing your own sleeping bags and pillow. They provide blankets and pillows but I think it's always more comfortable to bring your own.

There is a shower house that you use a pass code to get into so bring your shower shoes and I would also suggest you bring your own towel. The ones they give you are worn and thin although you could use them as a good exfoliant, lol. The water is nice and hot and theres no charge or timer so you can just stand there and soak up the heat.

If you wanna eat at the buffet it will cost you $16 for dinner and $11 for breakfast. Make sure you don't sleep in and miss breakfast, it ends at 10am... Yeah that was us. The Grill opens around noon for lunch. They have burgers, fries, chicken strips etc. Dinner is from 5-8pm. If you go to the larger grocery store about a mile from Curry you can buy fresh fruit, lunch makings etc for a better price. We rented bikes for $11 an hour and it was great to feel the air on your face, just don't go off the paths.

What most people need to realize is that you are staying in a tent. This is camping. You are here to see and experience Yosemite Valley and all her glory and there is no better place to do it at. Things to bring: towel, toiletries, sleeping bag, pillows, Tylenol, Bengay (a must for all the hiking you'll be doing), camera, good shoes, sandals, a led flashlight and bug spray. You'll also need a hoodie for night time. It got pretty chilly around 3 in the morning.

Don't let any of the reviews scare you off of staying here. Just don't expect a resort feel and you won't be disapointed. Also remember that 12% of deer mice carry the virus and they are found all over the park, not just in Curry. So as long as you wash your hands and use common sense about being outdoor it won't be a problem.

Room Tip: I would suggest choosing a room that is in the mid 500's. Near a small restroom and close to par...
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in the curry village tents. Location of the village is perfect and free shuttle buses can drop you at 3 different points throught the resort, which is really helpful for those with tired legs after hiking all day. You have an excellent view of the mountains from all parts of the resort, and the river is a short stroll away, making for a very picturesque stay.

The tents themselves are comfortable enough, however the tent walls are paper thin and you can hear every persons conversation within a 100m radius. Bear activity in the village is common at night. Your safety is not at risk, but they do cause alot of nose as people try to scare them away. Ergo, you are reliant on the politness of others and the inactivity of bears to get a good night sleep.

The reception staff are wonderfully polite and very knowledgeable. They go out of their way to assist you. Cant give higher praise to them.

The bathrooms are rubbish. There are only 4 showers in the womens block, which serves a few hundred people. There is always a long queue and by the time you reach the shower its ice cold.

Great village but book a proper room rather than the tents

Room Tip: Dont book the tent rooms if you want a good nights sleep or a warm shower
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Los Altos, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious and comfortable the tents were for our family of 5. Cots were quite comfortable and warm blankets were provided. Showers were decent with hot water though for some reason the towels were ridiculously small. Neighbors are in close proximity and noise travels easily. Bring your earplugs for sleeping. Also try to avoid getting a tent right next to bathrooms because of traffic and noise all night. Buffet at the village was decent and not cheap nor expensive. Pizza and grill were pretty good too. Coffe shop was always busy and an alternative for cheaper breakfast.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Curry Village? Share your experiences!