“Great breakfast and welcoming inside the Park” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yosemite Peregrine Lodging

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yosemite National Park
Yosemite Peregrine Lodging
7509 Henness Circle, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389   |
Madrid, Spain
“Great breakfast and welcoming inside the Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We booked the Alpenglow for 3 nights only a week before arriving in the middle of the high season. We were not disappointed as the room, although a bit dark, is big and clean and we also had access to a living room for ourselves only as well as a fridge, microwave and laundry facilites. Simple accommodation but well looked after and it was not luxury what we looked for but a cosy place inside the Yosemite Park.
Danna and Cheryl were great hosts and breakfast is absolutely marvelous, well worth waiting till 8.30 for it!
It was note cheap but, apart from camping, nothing inside the Park really is.
Seems to us like a perfect place for a couple or a small family, I think the negative reviews are not fair.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Oh my gosh, I so wish I had heard about Trip Adviser before we stayed here. We stayed here earlier this year and it was such a bummer. It was our second trip to Yosemite and we decided to stay in a Bed n Breakfast instead of the lodge (we couldn't get in anyway - they are always full). The rooms are ok I guess (our bathroom was so teeny!) but it's not worth the money. The breakfast is ok, and the people who run it are nice, but I don't want to have to eat with total strangers and make conversation before I've had my coffee. But what my husband and I can't believe how much they charged us! Like 300 bucks a night for this?? It's not luxury AT ALL. It's kinda old and a bit gross actually. And small. Like some other people have said, it is overpriced. I'm so glad we didn't complain to the owner though, she sounds mean and scary. Yikes!!! Stay somewhere else - this isn't worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
kay p, Owner at Yosemite Peregrine Lodging, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
"The mean and scary owner" decides to respond. Our rooms are accurately described on our website. I'm assuming the description is of our most expensive room, the Dogwood Room, which is $290 per night. (Others are less expensive). It has a really beautiful rock fireplace with a design of dogwood trees worked into the rock, a two person jacuzzi set in a rock base, HD TV, a wall mural, a deck with a view of woods, sunset and stars. The bathroom has a toilet and shower. The basin is in the room which allows one person to use the bathroom and the other to use the basin and mirror. There is coffee in the room so guests can sit on their deck and enjoy the mountain air while they wake up. But, like most B&Bs, guests gather for breakfast. Ours is served either on our unique redwood dining table or out on the deck. Mikey, our chef is a graduate of the Culinary Academy in San Francisco and our manager, Danna, is a really good cook. It's a real downer to work so hard to prepare exceptional food and find it described as merely ok. So, golly, I too wish you had checked out Trip Advisor before booking or just checked out what to expect at a B&B.
Coronel Fabriciano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We loved our time in Yosemite Peregrine Lodging. A fantastic breakfast, nice rooms, close to Yosemite Valley (30 min), next to Glacier Point Road (2 min to enter the road). We were greeted by Mickey, a very nice lady who made us feel at home. A quiet, peaceful, away from the busy Valley.

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We were so uncomfortable and disappointed with our room we left after just one night of our three night stay, and found a room at the nearby Wowona Lodge. We're on a three month trip of the States and this is the first time we've ever had to abandon lodgings like this. At just shy of $300 per night we were hoping for a cosy little base from which to explore the area. Unfortunately our hopes were dashed.

Our room was nothing like advertised: shabby and makeshift with a stained carpet and a bathroom (literally) the size of a closet. Everything in the room was threadbare and cut rate, from the curtains (and shower curtain) that fell down all the time to the bed linen that was cheap and tatty. Instead of proper glasses we had scratched plastic cups.

Our cupboard was clearly being used for linen storage, and we had to ask for it to be removed. There were more filled storage bins under the bed, which also has a low bookcase shoved behind it instead of a proper headboard. Two of the windows were broken, including the only one in the tiny bathroom. In fact the experience is more like staying with an aged relative, for free, in their spare room.

Then there are the amenities. They proudly offer wireless internet on their site, but when you arrive you find signs warning you not to do anything unreasonable like upload photos to Facebook or the speed will be "reduced to dial up". Even the cable is sub-standard. It's the cheapest basic cable you can get. We didn't visit Yosemite to watch TV, but this is just another example of what a cut-rate operation this is.

The only positive in our whole experience were the inn-keepers Danna and Mikey who did their best to make up for our disappointment. They were kind and attentive and cooked a tasty breakfast on the only morning we woke up there.

The owner on the other hand was incredibly rude and dismissive when we emailed her about the problems. Not only didn't she apologise - she actively attacked and insulted us. This is not an unusual occurrence either - just look at her responses to other negative reviews on TripAdvisor.

Here are a few direct quotes from her email to us:

"You wanted to "flee" your room. Your lives were in danger? Monsters under the bed? When you use such unnecessary hyperbole it's hard to know how to respond."

"The carpet is 2 years old and while we attempt to keep up with stains they do happen over time. The carpet was shampooed just before your arrival but some stains simply won't come out. We do not provide new carpeting for each new guest."

"Most guests "live" out of their suitcases so we do store linens in the drawers."

"I spent countless hours creating that room and all the rest of our home. I have a Masters degree in art and have taught interior design. And you think the room is makeshift and cheap!"

"Your complaints are so at odds with the reviews we receive on our Bed and Breakfast sites that it really surprises me."

---

Not once does she apologise in any way shape, or form. Clearly we, as the guests, are to blame here.

If, despite our warnings and the warnings of other Trip Advisor users, you do decide to stay here, be wary of giving them your credit card. They randomly charged over $200 extra to one of our credit cards and then refused to acknowledge that they had done so.

Six weeks later, after I had been forced to report the extra charge as fraud to have it reversed, the owner contacted us to admit that it had been an "error" from their side. And this after swearing blind that the problem was with our side.

I should have seen this as an omen and cancelled our booking right then. Alas, I did not. Accommodation in Yosemite is not cheap, but it doesn't have to be this unpleasant.

, Owner at Yosemite Peregrine Lodging, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
As the owner I’d like to make a few observations/corrections: Our wireless is delivered by satellite and has limited capacity. Last summer too much upload of data from some guests caused us to be put back to dial up speed by the satellite company. This, of course, caused much unhappiness for other guests. So in consideration of others we ask guests to limit up and downloads. We have an excellent “Direct TV” package including NFL Sunday Ticket. The casement windows work on a slider which can come off. Easy to fix but the innkeeper needs to be told. We provide plastic glasses so they can be taken to the hot tub or garden area. The curtains are hand painted batiks of aspen trees and represent some of the finest work I have done. The process alone, before sewing takes 30+ hours per curtain. They are on spring rods so that guests can remove them if they wish for a better view of the garden, woods and wildlife. The bookcase/headboard was design by me specifically for the room and was not shoved behind the bed as the guests stated in their email to me. The king bed will have a stand at each side of the bed but when guest ask for twin beds the center of the book case becomes the night stand. A regular headboard could not be used in this way and it would have obscured the hand painted wall mural of aspen trees.

Danna was the only employee on the day they were here. Mikey was on her day off (but she is still happy to be praised for a job she didn’t do). I am pleased they recognized Danna’s efforts on their behalf but sorry that they failed to understand that their rudeness to her on their departure could leave her in tears and ill.

The credit card problem when the guests booked happened when we had to enter information manually on our new reservation system because the automatic entry system was down. Two reservations got scrambled and it took a great deal of research to untangle the mess. Both parties were from overseas and currency translation made it even more difficult. My correspondence with the guests follows. I am including as it is an example of how their comments on the handling of the issue are no more accurate than the rest of this mean spirited review.

Dear Guests: (Feb. 5) I contacted our new processor when this issue arose and they had a record of a charge to your Visa account of $390 as being declined. Your Master Card was then charged for $390 and this charge went through and was deposited in our business account. I have no record of any other charge for you nor any record of a charge of $230 or anything close to that figure. I am totally baffled by this! We have been in business 14 years and this is definitely a first. I will call again tomorrow and verify once again that no charge came through on your Visa. I suggest you decline the charge with Visa as an unauthorized charge. They will then notify us and we can see if it can be straightened out.

Dear guests: (Feb. 21) I think we have solved the mystery of the credit card mixup. Our system is automated but on the day your credit charge was processed the system was down. It appears that another guest reservation was charged to your account when processing was done by hand. Both you and the other guest had first had a declined card and there were a couple of numerical transpositions which muddied the water even further. I will be contacting our credit card processing company tomorrow (the contact person is not in today) and they will authorize the return of your money. I am very sorry for the mixup. We really are not usually this inept. It was the second day of using an entirely new system. We do promise to be better at taking care of you once you are here than we are at accounting! Kay Pitts, owner: Yosemite Peregrine

Our cancelation policy is very clear and the guests agreed to abide by it when they reserved. In a large hotel, a refund is not a major impact. When there are just three rooms it is 1/3 of the income plus a loss to staff. Our prices and policies are comparable to other accommodations in the area and are reflective of the costs of doing business in a remote area where groceries are a 2 hour drive and most supplies a four hour drive away.

Based on the inaccuracies of their complaint, the verbal abuse of my employee and our very clear policy that they had agreed to, I chose not give a refund.
Cambridgeshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We had a good stay a couple of years back at the B&B so had no qualms and high expectations when we booked the Studio loft for 4 adults.
Pros
Simple to book on-line and good communication with owners via emails and a welcome phone call the evening when we arrived.
Location is as before-suited us. Condo is adequate for 4 adults-though the sofa bed downstairs is not that comfortable for more than two nights IMHO. Loft and downstairs have individual bathrooms. Kitchen is basic but functional, with a stocked grocery cupboard of spice\coffee\soap powders and other small items.
Laundry is on site as is the biggest Ice machine I’ve ever seen! BBQ on the patio, though only ½ of burners seemed to work and it was dirty from previous occupants.
Plenty of local information and instructions about the condo available-though some were on separate bits of paper found by accident in drawers.
Cons
Condo is a bit dated and there were some minor maintenance issues, nothing to ruin our stay (nor TBHO to bother owners as we were only there for 2 days) but gave the impression the place was being let go-and for the price I expect no faults.
Mesh doors to patio were falling apart and held up with gaffer tape. There was a note (found in drawer) that they need some TLC but I would expect them to be in better shape. No biggie-just not a good impression.
Carpet runner separating kitchen tiles to lounge was proud liable to catch bare feet\toes. Simple to fix TBHO.
Sofa-bed mattress, thin and uncomfortable and we are not overweight adults.
Air conditioning was none existent and TBHO the fans in the condo struggled with the heat on the first night, though I think this is a problem throughout Yosemite.
Overall a slightly disappointing stay due to maintenance issues and high expectations from the previous visit (Only stayed as couple in the B&B).If I were to recommend to others I would advise of minor niggles.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Yosemite Peregrine Lodging, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Thank you for your well thought out review. I have asked my employees to check on the items you have mentioned. The screen door to the deck is always a problem. Due to our remote location it takes a 5 hour drive to purchase a new screen plus the time to install. And, as often happens, the next guest walks into the screen. You are correct. There is no air conditioning in the area. At 6,000 elevation it didn't seem any would be needed. But, summers do seem to be getting hotter. Fortunately, guests are almost always gone during the day and our evenings are cool and pine scented.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

I'm really glad we stumbled on this place.
Mikey made us feel very at home and nothing was too much trouble - we had breakfast (which is amazing, by the way) at 5 one morning and 9 the next. Also got some good tips on where to go hiking, how hard hikes really are compared to whst the books say, and what you need permits for, etc.

There were nice touches like food in the fridge for anyone to take, and we were offered a glass of wine when we arrived.

The B&B is in Yosemite West, NOT Yosemite village (which is about a 20 minute drive away). However it was actually a relief to be up in the hills as it was cooler (75 degrees as opposed to 100 down in the valley - we were here in June). It is also near sentinel dome & glacier point which have incredible views over the valley - both great places to sit with a glass of wine & try & work out where we had hiked that day.
Sadly I think Yosemite is a once in a lifetime experience for us but if we do ever find ourselves here again we'll definitely be staying here Willyour certainly recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

When I tried to make reservations online, there were no rooms available for two nights in a row. I had to call and ask if it is possible to book two different rooms for two nights (the minimum stay is two nights at Peregrine) and Mikey was nice enough to reserve the rooms for us. So we got Studio B 209 and Alpenglow. Studio B 209 is beautiful with a cabin look (pic attached), kitchen, and a nice balcony. The second night we moved to Alpenglow hoping it would be awesome as it is expensive than Studio B. However, Alpenglow is just a room in a house with no kitchen amenities. We could hear people talking in the next room, and the tv in our room is broken. When we asked Mikey about the price difference, she said it is because Alpenglow comes with free breakfast - eggs, biscuit/gravy and a bowl of fruit. It was a communal breakfast and we enjoyed talking to other hikers at the table. Overall, it was a good experience. I wish they could give Studio B with breakfast, it would've been perfect!

Room Tip: Studio B 209 has a nice cabin feel with two full bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs.